MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
morganrokn4mbbq
Found some matches.

Default Building a reverse flow smoker

We are building a reverse flow smoker out of an old 250 gal tank. the tank is 31 inch wide by 8' long. My question is what size fire box should I build for it. should I just make it square and build a 31" box or go smaller. This is the only real hang up I am having before we get on with the build any help would be great.
morganrokn4mbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
OutlawSwine
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is a pretty handy firebox calculator. Enter the size of your tank, then all you have to do make sure the green boxes match.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Files
File Type: xls firebox-calculator.xls (12.0 KB, 202 views)
OutlawSwine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Bigg Higg's BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Perform a google search for firebox calc. Several came up. You can enter the area of your cook chamber and the calc gives your minimum area for your firebox. I have one on my computer but dont know how to get it on here . Hope this helps.

V

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~ Thomas Edison[/COLOR][/LEFT]
Bigg Higg's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
morganrokn4mbbq
Found some matches.

Sounds good thank you guys. It looks like I can go a little smaller witch works for me I didn't want to have to make a forest fire ever time I lit the thing.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

You ought to think about fully insulating that firebox. It will help greatly with the fuel efficiency of the cooker.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The firebox calculator is a good reference but I would go a tad bigger. Definitely insulate it. The bigger box and the insulation will cut fuel by 2/3.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

If your tank is a propane tank, then it is 1/4" thick. I built a square firebox and used 3/8" steel plate and have been really happy with the results. I also when a little larger than what the calculator said I needed. I heard somewhere that bigger is better
CBJ #31626
UDS
Lots of Weber Grills
Traeger Texas Pellet Grill
My cooking blog
[URL]http://babyboomerboyscookinblog.blogspot.com/[/URL]
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

That calculator is nice. I used it to calculate my current tank and fire box, it confirms what I already know from two years of use, that my fire box is small for my tank. I would like to build another one someday. From my first experience I would definitley error on the side of to big verses to small. My current fire box is made from 1/4 steel I am watching it slowly corrode away from use and rust inside, the outside I keep painted. So my dream firebox would be 3/8 steel plate or stainless steel which I can not afford at the moment. The other thing I wish I had considered is making it so I could put a grate on the top of the fire box for grilling stuff.
My biggest wish is I had found you guys here before I built my first! Good luck with your build.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
morganrokn4mbbq
Found some matches.

We are looking for a 250 gal stand up tank to use as the fire box. this will allow us to have bigger fire box and a little room for a rib box on top.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboomerboy View Post
If your tank is a propane tank, then it is 1/4" thick. I built a square firebox and used 3/8" steel plate and have been really happy with the results. I also when a little larger than what the calculator said I needed. I heard somewhere that bigger is better
Actually most of them are now 3/16" thick. The older ones used to be 1/4". we just bought 2 250's that are dated 2003 and both are 3/16".

Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbmgb View Post
Actually most of them are now 3/16" thick. The older ones used to be 1/4". we just bought 2 250's that are dated 2003 and both are 3/16".
Thanks for the information. The tag on my tank says it was made in 1967 so I figured they all were 1/4".
CBJ #31626
UDS
Lots of Weber Grills
Traeger Texas Pellet Grill
My cooking blog
[URL]http://babyboomerboyscookinblog.blogspot.com/[/URL]
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
cowboyupbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Eric
Default Cool Site

Check out smoker-builder.com. Frank has an awesome rig and there is some great info on there.

Eric
cowboyupbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbmgb View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but I noticed that in a lot of cases folks that built Stumps clones used 1/2 or 3/8 inch steel for the chute / burn area. Isn't that also overkill? Aren't most wood-burning stoves just 1/4" also? Is there something about the stumps/charcoal design(s) that really need 3/8 to 1/2" metal? Thanks!
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote