• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Crab Legs?

keale

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm at work, bored... Norco, got me thinking...

Can you smoke these? They are I guess the ones from Alaska, already COOKED. Would they pick up the smoke flavor? Normally you would just steam them, or stir fry... Just wondering...

yes and yes!

surf-n-turf_rtd.jpg

3redkingcrablegs_rtd.jpg

12nov06-039.jpg

salmonncrablegs-029.jpg

ribeyeskingcrab-012.jpg

you really should split the shell to let the smoke in the legs, but the knuckle gets the smoke from the end

oops, I just drooled on my keyboard. Rick you should run a disclaimer when posting pics like that!!!:biggrin:

I was thinking that the smoke wouldn't penetrate the shell, but cracking them would work. Good idea Rick.

i haven't tried them yet, but i saw some pre-split king crab legs at sam's.

since the crab legs are already cooked, you just want to heat them thru.

dang, i think i might try some of those sam's legs this weekend! :biggrin:

and here I thought this would be an orignal idea! Should have know better! LOL! The ones I'm looking at aren't near as nice as those above, they have "broken" pieces on sale for 5.79/lb.
Is there a temp you take them to, besides the 140* safe mark?

edit: I thought those were your crab legs! LOL!

Man! Tell us the recipe because my dad's trying to get some good seafood recipe's!

and here I thought this would be an orignal idea! Should have know better! LOL! The ones I'm looking at aren't near as nice as those above, they have "broken" pieces on sale for 5.79/lb.
Is there a temp you take them to, besides the 140* safe mark?

edit: I thought those were your crab legs! LOL!

those were all my crab legs. i haven't tried the pre-split legs yet.

broken pieces taste just the same and you won't have to split the shell to get some smoke in there. just heat them thru and i've never stuck them with the thermo. i guess you could just thaw them and eat them cold if you wanted.

Man! Tell us the recipe because my dad's trying to get some good seafood recipe's!

whelp... it's pretty simple really, you just stick them in the cooker and heat them up say for about 10-15 minutes and then crack the shell and pull put the meat and dip in some melted butter with garlic in it.

rib eye garnish is optional :biggrin:

ribeyeskingcrab-018.jpg

whelp... it's pretty simple really, you just stick them in the cooker and heat them up say for about 10-15 minutes and then crack the shell and pull put the meat and dip in some melted butter with garlic in it.

rib eye garnish is optional :biggrin:

ribeyeskingcrab-018.jpg

I wish I lived by you. I would trade work for food. It all looks good.

I've done Dungeness on the 'Dera before and they were great! Just pre-crack the shell in strategic spots and lightly smoke for 45 minutes or so.

Smoked vs. grilled here... I love them grilled, but they absorb too much smoke to cook them at low temps, for my taste.

Smoked vs. grilled here... I love them grilled, but they absorb too much smoke to cook them at low temps, for my taste.

Grilled - yes
steamed - yes
Smoked - no

The long cooking time would cause the meat to toughen up and the smoke would alter the flavor in a not so good way. (Ask Poohbah about Smoked Shrimp).

My favorite way for pre-cooked legs, especially if they are frozen is 7-8 minutes in the microwave on high. They already have water in them and they will steam in their shell. Have some melted lemon-garlic butter waiting and you will be in heaven.

This is definitely a keep it simple dish.

Here's one my dad showed me. Fill a sink with the hottest tap water your pipes put out. Drop legs in sink. Wait. Eat.

No joke, they're hot, cooked, and delicious!

Man, I wish I would've taken pictures of our king's the other night...made those look like grasshopper legs. Albertson's was pimping them for $9.99 lb. Single legs (not clusters) were 2 1/2 lbs+ a piece!

Grilled - yes
steamed - yes
Smoked - no

The long cooking time would cause the meat to toughen up and the smoke would alter the flavor in a not so good way. (Ask Poohbah about Smoked Shrimp).

My favorite way for pre-cooked legs, especially if they are frozen is 7-8 minutes in the microwave on high. They already have water in them and they will steam in their shell. Have some melted lemon-garlic butter waiting and you will be in heaven.

This is definitely a keep it simple dish.

maybe not so much 'smoked' in the true sense of the word, but rather 'smoasted' which is a word i invented for a cross between 'smoked' and 'roasted' wherein, you roast at about 325 degrees and apply wood chips or chunks or rely solely on the natural lump charcoal smokiness.

i gotta tell ya, no other cooking method will compare to smoasting in one of my eggs. :biggrin:

Back