How would you cook a flank steak?

Plaid Palace

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Doing a flank steak for Father's Day. Marinade, cook temp and time. Will be doing it on my Kamado Joe.

Thanks!!

Did one on Saturday. Marinaded in Terriaki sauce, but that was for my wife. Removed excess fat and silver skin. I would probably have just gone with salt and pepper, or Montreal seasoning. I got the grill (I have an Akorn Kamado) very hot, above 600. Grilled for around 4 minutes per side. Rested for 10 minutes, and sliced against the grain, straight down through, maybe a quarter inch thick slices.

Easy as can be, but you need to be real careful not to over cook, or it gets very tough.

^^This is a good technique. My favorite flank steak marinade is equal parts Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar and Wooster with a couple cloves of garlic and a small palmful of Montreal Steak.

salt and pepper only cooked on a screaming hot grill using mesquite wood only.
Medium rara.

1/4 c oil
1/4 c red curry paste
1/4 c lime juice

Marinate up to 8 hours grill to med rare.

1/4 c honey
2 T lime juice baste steak when turning.

Rest 10 minutes. Slice against the grain. Drizzle slices with honey lime.
Delish

Maybe do a search and see if Phubar posted about Phlank steak. I ate some that he cooked a while back and it was PhanPharkingtastic. I think he just pulled a marinade recipe off a google search, cooked it MR, and that was it. It really was amazing. As stated, do not overcook.

Reverse sear works really well on flank steak... hot, hot, hot!

Did one on Saturday. Marinaded in Terriaki sauce, but that was for my wife. Removed excess fat and silver skin. I would probably have just gone with salt and pepper, or Montreal seasoning. I got the grill (I have an Akorn Kamado) very hot, above 600. Grilled for around 4 minutes per side. Rested for 10 minutes, and sliced against the grain, straight down through, maybe a quarter inch thick slices.

Easy as can be, but you need to be real careful not to over cook, or it gets very tough.

Unless it was a really, really thick flank i can't imagine it not being scorched after 8 minutes (4 per side) on a 600 degree grill. I usually do mine at about 450 for 3 minutes per side and its a nice medium rare leaning to rare. As discmen says, be careful, it can overcook really quickly. I usually marinade mine overnight in vinegar, garlic, soy sauce and some sugar.

I marinade it in orange juice, soy sauce, worchestire, honey and whatever dry herbs I have. Then put a spice rub on it and grill about 3-4 mins per side. Slice against the grain straight down. It's more tender that way.

Marinate it in your favorite blend of oil and acid (vinegar, citrus, whatever). and herbs and spices. Cook it hot and fast. Cut it across the grain -- the cut is more important than the cook. It will cook fast over high heat, which is how you want flank steak to cook. So, your preparation will have a lot to do with the flavors. Oil, herbs and acid are the key ingredients in your preparations and they will matter a lot. Don't be shy with any of them. Your flank steak should be well lubed and seasoned before it hits the hot grill because it has a lot of connective tissue but not a lot of fat. Hot and fast, pay attention.

CD

Back