• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How do you decide When to fire up the grill ?

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I mean on a week night cooking for two or more. Does it depend on what your cooking? Would it be bad in the oven?

How do you decide on a daily bases?

Thanks for any and all input.

randomly. totally randomly. I sit here all day, then think, I want to cook something outside.

Same here, pretty much random. I'll daydream at work thinking which cooker I'd like to play with that evening...

Yeah, it is pretty random. I love to cook, but don't like to clean, so any chance I get, I fire up the grill. It tastes good, and cleanup is easy.

As warm weather returns, I will be using a grill or smoker three to five days a week. It will taper off as we hit triple-digits.

But, it is not planned, for the most part. I just keep the freezer full, or spot a hot sale on something, and go with the flow.

CD

I usually do it based on what I'm cooking. I'm feeling lazy I'll bang the meat veggies out under the broiler, or if it's a burger just do it in cast iron.

Really though, after using the Weber charcoal starter cubes last night it's changed my whole grilling/time allotment perspective. It is literally just as fast as waiting on the oven to hit 450 and isn't any harder than pressing the buttons to select the oven temp. For $3.99 for 24 cubes, it's almost free if you ask me and you ain't gotta fool with paper towel/newspaper/cooking oil and you get a solid light right off the bat, no fighting it. It ha literally made me think I may never use my Weber Gasser again, it's that easy.

The temp outside does a lot to whether I want to do it or not as well. Smoking is a different story, but grilling is affected a whole lot depending on if it's cold around my house. I'm really cold natured.

Clean-up is about 10 times faster too though and a lot less pans to deal with.

"IF"I get home in time and am physically able,I grill.Everyday.Sunday is grill/smoke day from the get go,just so I have grilled/smoked food during the week.Just in case I get home too late or am not "up to it" during the week.:wink:

It's a "time" thing for me. If I have time and no interruptions I'll cook outside.

My gasser gets fire up prolly 3 times a week in blizzard, white out and above 20 below conditions.
Pretty tough to fire up the BGE or Steel Keg with 40 mph winds like we had 2 days ago and keep temps stable.

I usually plan ahead. Sometimes I'll just pull a couple burgers out of the freezer and fire up the gasser for them. Anything more and I prefer to light charcoal. I made my first charcoal fired pizza last week and had to start the dough the previous day so it took planning. Lots of evenings it's just a nice salad. Lunch is often leftovers or a sandwich.

Outside conditions don't usually matter. Darkness is more an issue than cold.

I'm of the random variety as well. Though it mostly becomes an issue of having a food scratch that I can't itch unless smoke, fire, and meat is involved. Rain, shine, hot, cold, hurricane, volcano, etc etc...it doesn't matter. If I can light the charcoal, I'm gonna grill/smoke.

Every few days I have to grill or cook something in the cast iron to avoid mild withdraws and every few weeks I have to do a low and slow cook to avoid going psychotic. This BBQ thing really has become an addiction. :shock:

Joking around of course.....

Or am I.......................

All depends on weather. If its nice out I will easily make myself lunch and dinner on the grill when my job lets me. But once the nice weather hits I want nothin but food from the grill. Q is my absolute favorite style /type of food could eat it all day everyday. Hell if I wouldn't get sick I would eat the lump charcoal lol

Random, seems like I've been Qing three to four times a week. With the warm weather coming, nothing beats drinking some beers and Qing.

At about 3 Am my mind starts to wander. What kind of concoction can I muster up today? Then I obsess for several hours over that. Then during the morning hour I have a certain clarity. Then, I know, what's cookin, fo dinna

Unless we have really rough weather I'll fire up the wsm every weekend following my bi-weekly payday. Wifey already knows its coming. As far as grilling something on one of the redheads, its usually if we have excellent weeknight weather and I get off work early.

Back