Two parties of 35....What to charge?

B

bigmeatbbq

I was approached by two people to BBQ shoulders for Saturday August 30th. Each group will have 35 people. Case price is $1.33 a pound for shoulders. I got a load of Kingsford I bought for $4.58 a bag. Plenty of oak, apple and cherry wood. I've only done BBQ for comps, gifts and friends, never really charging much. This time its buisness. Just wondering what is the going rate for cooking 10 butts(5 for each party). Plus one gallon of sauce for each. I'm just cooking wrapping and delivering. No catering.
I got my one UDS, a Brinkmann vertical and my old, hungry off-set. I'm thinking of knocking together another UDS this weekend and just using the UDS in stead of the vertical and off-set. The UDS's would let me get some shut eye on the Friday over night cook.

Thanks in advance. I've never not got great, solid guidance from the members of this forum.

Ther are two kinds of pricing that you can do.

Top Down Pricing or Bottom Up Pricing.

BOttom up is bacically take the sum of yur actual cost and then add a profit margin that you beliecve is acceptable.

Top Down is taking the highest price fopr services in your area and matching it or increasing it by 10 or 15 %. I use this method.

Each pricing method comes with certian service expectations. YOu need to determine if you are a high end caterer or if yuu are just gonna do this on the side. I recomend Bottom Up pricing at forst. Get a feel for it. If you like it and are going toi move into it full time then restructure your pricing and polish op the service.

If you are going to do a bottom down here is what I recomend.

1. Get the real price for your actual cost. Not what you think its gonna cost.
2. FIgure about 30% profit
3. Look at the final cost. If that seems realistic then stay with it, if not adjust accordingly.

Remember, you are providing a very valuable service. Dont try to match the local BBQ joints dining room cost. You will never be able to match that price. Get that out of your head now. Count your time, gas, shopping time, cooking time, prep time, clean up and disposal.

There are MANY things to cinsider. My suggestion is to figure a cost, pray about it if you still feel good about it then great. Remember that BBQ in TX will not cost the same as BBQ in KY or NY. You need to know what the market looks like in your area. Other folks are giving your prices in their areas. While they may be close its still important to consider geographical location.

Im sure that you will get it figured out. If you have any questions you are welcome to PM me and I can call you to help.

Back