TV Show: Kill It, Cook It, Eat It

JiveTurkey

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I caught this show last night on Current TV, anybody seen this? It's a BBC show they're playing here. They take a group of volunteers who are a mix of meat eaters, vegans, and vegetarians and take them along the process of growing cattle, pigs, lamb, etc and tracking the animal from birth to slaughter. Pretty cool show, watch if you get the chance.

http://current.com/shows/kill-it-cook-it-eat-it/

Here is the schedule from the website:

Burgers Tuesday, January 11, 10/9c Volunteers get a hands-on lesson in how a hamburger goes from pasture to plate.

Lamb Kebabs Tuesday, January 18, 10/9c Volunteers follow farm-raised lambs on the journey from livestock to mincemeat.

Sausages Tuesday, January 25, 10/9c Volunteers explore and debate the process of turning pigs into sausage.

Nuggets Tuesday, February 1, 10/9c Volunteers slaughter, pluck and butcher their evening meal.

Offal Feast Tuesday, February 8, 10/9c Volunteers try to stomach an offal feast of heart, tongue, and testicles.

Choice Cuts Tuesday, February 15, 10/9c A look back: Volunteers learn how farm animals become fast food favorites.

Deer Tuesday, February 22, 10/9c Volunteers explore how venison gets to the dinner table.

Duck Tuesday, March 1, 10/9c Novice hunters learn how duck goes from wild game to dinner entre.

Rabbit Tuesday, March 8, 10/9c City folk get a taste of wild game by hunting rabbit.

Grouse Tuesday, March 15, 10/9c Inexperienced hunters debate the moral and ethical issues surrounding the eating of grouse.

Choice Cuts Part 2 Tuesday, March 22, 10/9c A look back: What are the different methods used to track, kill and butcher the wild game?

I hope I don't have to go to MambyPambyLand to see it. ;)

Thanks!

Gah! Plucking ducks and chickens, I so hate that job. And since I was not a member and did not own my own gun, I was always the guy that had to pluck. Did I miss the show on hot dogs? Now that would be an eye-opener.

I prefer to buy my meat from the store where no animals are harmed!:heh: Hey, it's true, I read it in the newspaper once!:heh:

I caught the first episode on hamburgers the other night. That one guy from Mamby Pamby land...I just wanted to go and slap him and his jackwagon he rode in on back to MPL. I really couldn't tell if this was something they were trying to use to exploit the meat industry or what...I didn't catch all of it and was somewhat distracted working on some other things while it was on...but it appeared to be some kind of leftwing propaganda documentary...which those really get me blood boiling. I grew up on a cow/calf operation...and I raised 4-H steers every year that yeah, it was hard to send them off to slaughter every year. But I understood that that is how things work. After college, I worked 10 years in the meat industry, so watching it really didn't give me that "shock" value that your average viewer probably experienced.
It makes me sick that people out there actually believe that the food they eat comes from "factories". One year at the State Fair, the FFA kids had a milking demo set up and some lady comes up and just started railing on them for lying to all these little kids, telling them that milk actually comes from cows... She was adamant that it comes from the stores in milk cartons and went as far as contacting one of the fair superintendents to tell them that they needed to quit misleading these poor impressionable kids :crazy:

One year at the State Fair, the FFA kids had a milking demo set up and some lady comes up and just started railing on them for lying to all these little kids, telling them that milk actually comes from cows... She was adamant that it comes from the stores in milk cartons and went as far as contacting one of the fair superintendents to tell them that they needed to quit misleading these poor impressionable kids :crazy:

:shock: You have got to be kidding! This was in Kansas??? Where was she from, I wonder - Long Island? :becky:

:shock: You have got to be kidding! This was in Kansas??? Where was she from, I wonder - Long Island? :becky:

Not kidding... it was in Hutch, and I believe she was from Wichita. She kept saying that it came from machines in factories...and she was really upset about it. Probably didn't help that there were a bunch of us "dumb" farm kids standing around egging her on :heh:

When I was a kid (in Dearborn Heights Michigan - suburbia americana) my Dad and the old man next door bought a dozen live chickens. About a week later (after we'd fed them and named them), him and the old man killed em & cooked em.

None of the 4 of us kids would eat em. My Dad was furious. I'll never forget seeing those chickens run around after their heads were cut off.

I caught the first episode on hamburgers the other night. That one guy from Mamby Pamby land...I just wanted to go and slap him and his jackwagon he rode in on back to MPL. I really couldn't tell if this was something they were trying to use to exploit the meat industry or what...I didn't catch all of it and was somewhat distracted working on some other things while it was on...but it appeared to be some kind of leftwing propaganda documentary...which those really get me blood boiling. I grew up on a cow/calf operation...and I raised 4-H steers every year that yeah, it was hard to send them off to slaughter every year. But I understood that that is how things work. After college, I worked 10 years in the meat industry, so watching it really didn't give me that "shock" value that your average viewer probably experienced.
It makes me sick that people out there actually believe that the food they eat comes from "factories". One year at the State Fair, the FFA kids had a milking demo set up and some lady comes up and just started railing on them for lying to all these little kids, telling them that milk actually comes from cows... She was adamant that it comes from the stores in milk cartons and went as far as contacting one of the fair superintendents to tell them that they needed to quit misleading these poor impressionable kids :crazy:

It didn't seem like propoganda to me and as landarc knows I'm pretty far from left wing. I found it pretty balanced, they emphasized that meat is not grown in the supermarket and that animals have to die, which really pissed that vegan dude off (I think he's from MambyPambyLand too) and they did try to stress the small-local-sustainable farm thing over mass produced meat. They seemed to push the point that their animals at least have a good life and since all animals die the way they die there is the best of any options. That's when that vegan guy talked about letting nature run it's course and if he had a cat and it was suffering that he would let it suffer before putting it to sleep. Some people just can't stomach death, I think it's partly rooted in their own fear of death but I'm not a shrink so I couldn't tell ya. I can't wait till they go hunting and those sissies have to actually kill an animal themselves. I got $5 says Vegandude has a conniption.

It didn't seem like propoganda to me and as landarc knows I'm pretty far from left wing. I found it pretty balanced, they emphasized that meat is not grown in the supermarket and that animals have to die, which really pissed that vegan dude off (I think he's from MambyPambyLand too) and they did try to stress the small-local-sustainable farm thing over mass produced meat. They seemed to push the point that their animals at least have a good life and since all animals die the way they die there is the best of any options. That's when that vegan guy talked about letting nature run it's course and if he had a cat and it was suffering that he would let it suffer before putting it to sleep. Some people just can't stomach death, I think it's partly rooted in their own fear of death but I'm not a shrink so I couldn't tell ya. I can't wait till they go hunting and those sissies have to actually kill an animal themselves. I got $5 says Vegandude has a conniption.

My cat had a bad distention when his heart was failing, and I had him put to sleep. Can't see how anyone who claims to have morals would let an animal suffer.

I would urge people to watch Food Inc. not because I am anti-meat (I am a meatatarian).. but because I am pro-farmer. I try and purchase most of my animal products directly from the farmer, The farmer earns a decent wage (alot more then the large packagers), for a decent product... I prefer it this way. I have dealt with the same farmer for 20+ years.

G.

Just wait till Wal Mart gets it's hands in the food supply.

Back