ButchersBBQ injection: comp vs backyard

atcNick

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've never cooked at a comp. I've been reading about the butchers BBQ injection on here and other forums and want to give it a try. The reviews seem to be mostly good. But I have read a few comments where people say they wouldn't cook a brisket at a comp without it, but at home for friends and family they wouldn't use it. I don't understand??!!

Wouldn't you give a judge the best piece of BBQ you can cook?? And wouldn't you feed your friends and family the best BBQ you can??

So what's the difference between using this injection for a comp vs friends/family? Why would you chose to use it at a comp and not for backyard cooking?

Thanks

-Nick via Tapatalk

When you cook at a comps you competing against others. Injecting in my opinon you add flavor and insure moisture. I inject always more practice for comps. :thumb:

The injections such as Butchers use ingredients that add to the moisture and texture of brisket and makes for a much more consistent product. I am not against using it for home, but, it is added cost and I kinda like the idea of just cooking the meat withjout injection. I can't say that the flavor difference is a positive or negative, so much as a difference. I have injected with other ingredients and find that injecitng a brisket does change the flavor and is not always what I want.

For a comp, I totally get it... use whatever will give you an edge.. When I used to compete I injected with FAB all the time...but just don't see the point for home useage.

Two reasons

1) My family eats enough processed foods with sometimes unpronounceable ingredients... Maybe totally harmless, but I just don't like the idea of purposefully injecting phosphates, MSG etc. into their food.

2) If I cook it properly, I don't think it's needed

exactly what vin said.

comp judges are taking ONE BITE of your food. the unthinkable things we do to comp food is not meant for a meal.

with that said, everything in moderation. inject a bit and its good. but don't season with accent after...extrapolate at will.

Back