MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
DHoskins
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Question for Vendors in Virginia

Hi all! I'm looking for some info from barbeque vendors in Virginia. I want to start my own vending/catering business. Talking to the health department, they're telling me I need to have 4 solid, cleanable walls on my set up. I know for a fact that there are other vendors/caterers that use an "open air" setups, and they are health department certified. Anyone know the secret to getting them to allow it? I would rather not use the "but you let this guy do it" approach. Any thoughts?
DHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
BeaglesBBQ
On the road to being a farker

When I first started vending I did a table/tent set-up and I would tow my smoker around. That was fine as long as I had a hadwashing set-up. However, I had to have a commercial kitchen to do all prep and cleanup etc.
I would assume the open air vendors you have seen do the same thing.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

As crazy as it seems the law is open to interpretation from the inspector I believe. There are things that are ok to one inspector and not another. When I started my inspector told me I had to use crock pots for hot holding if I did not have a steam table and I wanted to use chafers. Another inspector told a friend he could use chafers. The inspector over my area will let you pull about 4 temp permits to cook road side after that they make you have a certified kitchen. Go 40 miles up the road from me and and the inspector there will let you set up road side all you want. Pretty much you are at the mercy of your inspector.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Pavone Bros. BBQ
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

You need to let them, the health department, know what you are doing. Different regulations for different jobs. If you are cooking on site the regulations are different than those controlling a restaurant. The state has different regs for this stuff, ask your health department and they can get you the info you need. If you pick up supplies on the day of the cook you don't need a commissary, (at least to please my inspectors).
Pavone Bros. BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
DHoskins

Thanks for all the info. It certainly sounds like there are "grey areas" open to inspector interpretation. I finally got someone at the health dept. that was able to give me some straight answers. Based on the info i received, a mobile unit is required to have 4 permanent, non-porous, easy cleanable walls. Anything else can only be used with a temporary event permit. Sounds like that's the avenue I'm going to use for now, though it really limits opportunities based on cook time. Thanks again for the replys!
DHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
FlavorSavor
On the road to being a farker

I just went through all this. Main thing to remember is to tell the inspectors what they want to hear [wink].

I can email you all the regulations if you want/need them.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorSavor View Post
Main thing to remember is to tell the inspectors what they want to hear [wink].

Beware about doing this if you have a desire to start a larger operation, getting caught in a lie to the HD could cause big problems. One other downside to the temp permit is that you must cook on site and can not transport at all.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorSavor View Post
I just went through all this. Main thing to remember is to tell the inspectors what they want to hear [wink].

I can email you all the regulations if you want/need them.

pm sent.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
Allgrain

Name/Nickname : Bob

FWIW - I spoke with a VA inspector a couple of weeks ago. He said the rules around temp permits were under review/revision and would most likely be getting tougher. In a round about way he indicated that getting four walls in some fashion (fixed or truck) was the future in VA for anyone doing service/consessions on a regular basis.
Allgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

Just don't come down to NC. The HD here is ridiculous. At least in Wake county.
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #11
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgrain View Post
FWIW - I spoke with a VA inspector a couple of weeks ago. He said the rules around temp permits were under review/revision and would most likely be getting tougher. In a round about way he indicated that getting four walls in some fashion (fixed or truck) was the future in VA for anyone doing service/consessions on a regular basis.
That's unfortunate. I wonder when they are scheduled to take effect. I'll have to calll
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote