• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Rub

Big Jim BBQ

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I know I will probably get humpteen million different answers , but I'm going to try my first Brisket this weekend and want to know what your favorite rubs are for brisket.

Also, I have 2 options. I can smoke it on my Charbroil Bandera Smoker or on my Charbroil CB940X grill indirect. What do you'all think?

Well I'm partial to Plowboys Bovine Bold for my brisket. I have used and like Texas BBQ Rub Wild also. Not familiar with either of those pits but I would probably try the offset. Good Luck.

On brisket I prefer kosher salt and cracked black pepper... I love the taste of good beef and do not use a dry rub. :wink:
With pork, I go crazy with dry rubs, cures and injecting. :becky:

ive used bovine bold a few times, but im with cowgirl, salt and pepper is the way i enjoy it the most

On brisket I prefer kosher salt and cracked black pepper...and do not use a dry rub.

Are you using wet salt and pepper? :-D

Keep it simple on your first brisket.
Rub with kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper. I use a ~40/60 mixture.
You can cook it anywhere from 225-325. I would start on the lower end.
Wrap in foil when it is ~160F (don't add any liquid to the foil).
Pull it at 195F.
Toss it in a cooler for 2-4 hours.
Slice and Enjoy.

This is still how I cook briskets when I am cooking for large groups. When you get a little more experience you can start to experiment with different rubs, injections, trimming the brisket, cooking at different temps and pulling at different temperatures.

Kosmos cow cover is excellent, plus it has a little bit of heat to it.....great stuff.

I'm partial to "The Slab's Wow Up Your Cow'. I make my own rubs for chicken, and pork, but haven't found anything that I like as well for Beef. I rub it down with a little worcestershire first.

keep it simple for your first cook... salt, pepper, maybe some cayenne, garlic if you want to up it a notch.

What about injecting?

IMO, not a good idea...especially for first brisket.

you won't fully know if the rub was a success or not, or if you cooked it right if the injection was not there.

Head Country & Coarse Black Pepper is great for a rub. If you want to inject, Kosmos is a great product or you can stick with Beef Broth or Water.

SPG, all coarse ground, maybe a shake or two of plowboys bovine, bovine can get salty if put to much on.
As for injecting, for comps yes, at home no.

When I first started doing brisket I used a "rub" made up of salt, pepper, celery salt, and dry mustard. Just shake on and pat down. The suggestion for Montreal Seasoning is good. Somebody named Poohbah uses Montreal Seasoning on slow cooked prime rib.

Back