MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:41 AM   #16
newtwoq
is one Smokin' Farker

I do something completely differently than the above, but it might be that I'm cooking on a kettle and not a ceramic, so it really might be a YMMV kind of thing.

I cook our steaks on a 18.5" Weber kettle.

I get the steaks out (1-1.5" ribeyes x 2) of the fridge and put a little Olive Oil on them and season them about 45mins before I'm ready to cook.

Then fill up one chimney of RO lump and get it going. Once all is lit, I put it on one side of the kettle and leave both top and bottom vents wide open.

Place the steaks on the hot side directly over the flame, let them sit there for about a min, then flip. Once flipped close the top vent down to about half open. (not sure if it makes any difference, but I always have the vent on the opposite side of the grill as the fire)

From here I flip every 45 seconds and have found that this gives a very even cook without having too much "well done" on the outside of the steak. Cooking over direct coals gives me the sear and crust on the outside that I'm looking for.

I pull them at about 119F IT and rest them for about 10 mins before slicing. This allows them to come up to just under medium rare where my wife and I like them.
18.5" and 22.5" WSM's
36” Blackstone
DigiQ DX2
Pit Master IQ110
Mav. ET-732
Thermapen
newtwoq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #17
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Exclamation Ok...some success!!`

Well this came off MUCH Better than my previous failures.

When I first cut into it, I thought it was overcooked again...but after it *bloomed* after being cut, it appears to be on the medium side....I would like a bit more medium rare.

I had basically done this:

1. I salted it with garlic salt in the morning and it sat in fridge all day

2. I took it out of fridge about 3:30pm

3. I fired up the BGE, with coals on one side, virtually none under the other side with ceramic half moon blocker.

4. During reverse sear slow cooking, the units temperature hung about 225-250 for the whole time.

5. The steak had a probe in it the whole time, at about 116F I removed the steak and brought indoors. This steak sat a bit longer than I intended, due to trying to time it to server with some air fryer sweet potato fries.

6. Steak was resting from initial cook for approx 20 minutes or slightly more. The temp probe said it went from about 118F when I sat it down to a high of about 125F with carryover heat.

7. I cranked the heat up full as I could on the BGE XL, I didn't reconfigure anything, so it was just the original side with coals....but temps at top of dome reported just shy of 500F. It was flaming red and flames occasionally licking the grates. I did use the cast iron grates.

8. Here's where I was a little confused. I'd seen many things saying to just sear at high heat for 1 minute a side. But I had let the steak rest longer than usual. I also had the thermometer probe still in it, reporting starting temp about 119F-120F....this barely moved and I wasn't sure what it should be at....since cooking was interrupted.

9. I did the steak on side 1 for 1 minute, decent grill marks, but didn't look as browned as I'd like. I flipped first time and did side #1 for a minute. I flipped back to side one and angled for crosshatch marks..and did this side for about 2 min. When I flipped, to side 2 for second time...side one looked perfect, temp was about 124F.

10. I only wanted to leave side #2 down for second time for a short time, as that I pressed the steak and it was starting to feel firm...so this last time was maybe a minute or just over.

11. I brought in steak...it rested only a short time, since that I'd heard, and read that if it rested from earlier cooking and was just reheated slightly for sear, you didn't need to rest again.

This last part seemed true..it held its juices just fine.

So, I'm still wondering about how long to sear...and what temps should look like on the sear stage...

But this is something I'll work with and vary as I go. I did NOT ruin a $30 steak like I have previously....so, I'm happy about that.

Thanks to all.....and after reading my report you have suggestions, please let me know and I'll try this next time!!

Cayenne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steak1.jpg (93.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg steak2.jpg (52.5 KB, 92 views)
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #18
rober
Knows what a fatty is.

on America's test kitchen they put wrapped some thicker (1 1/2"+) steaks in foil & put them in the oven @275* for 20-30 minutes to warm the middle & seared them on the grill. I did some thinner 3/4" steaks that way but reduced the oven time to 15 minutes. the steaks came out perfect. I like mine on the rare side. my granddad's idea of well done beef was to put a cow out in direct sunlight.
rober is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #19
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

That $ shot looks OUTSTANDING from here :-)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #20
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

If you want it a little less done, you have three options.

1) Take it off the initial cook before an IT of 116, perhaps 110. (step 5)

2) In step 6, put it in the fridge or on ice to chill the outside and keep the IT from rising all the way to 120-125.

3) Sear hotter, closer to the fire, for less time (and ditch the CI grate).

My suggestion would be to try pulling at 110 next time and get a hotter searing fire. The CI grate is over searing on the grill marks, and most of the rest looks under seared even though it took longer to get there than it should have.

Searing in a CI pan works because it is a flat even surface and it helps store the heat, especially from an under-powered stove burner, and then applies it quickly to the entire surface. A cast iron grate on a grill produces an uneven sear, blocking heat from most of the meat and focusing it on the lines. This is desirable if you want to add grill marks, especially on more delicate items, but is not good if you want to apply a full surface sear to maximize flavor on a steak. Try a lighter thinner grate, get it as close to a hot fire as you can, and minimize the time the steak is being seared.

Another technique mentioned above is to flip more often. This helps keep the overall internal temp more even, but if the searing fire is hot enough and close enough, you shouldn't need much time per side anyway.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #21
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rober View Post
my granddad's idea of well done beef was to put a cow out in direct sunlight.
I like his thinking. We don't get a lot of direct sun in Western NY and I like a little smoke flavor from the charcoal so I usually walk the cow past the grill once on each side rather than the solar steak method.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #22
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayenne View Post
snip
.........reverse sear........ also, it sounds to me like you are way overthinking it.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #23
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

After seeing that pic I'm not sure what else you could ask for...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #24
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayenne View Post
Well this came off MUCH Better than my previous failures.

When I first cut into it, I thought it was overcooked again...but after it *bloomed* after being cut, it appears to be on the medium side....I would like a bit more medium rare.

I had basically done this:

1. I salted it with garlic salt in the morning and it sat in fridge all day

2. I took it out of fridge about 3:30pm

3. I fired up the BGE, with coals on one side, virtually none under the other side with ceramic half moon blocker.

4. During reverse sear slow cooking, the units temperature hung about 225-250 for the whole time.

5. The steak had a probe in it the whole time, at about 116F I removed the steak and brought indoors. This steak sat a bit longer than I intended, due to trying to time it to server with some air fryer sweet potato fries.

6. Steak was resting from initial cook for approx 20 minutes or slightly more. The temp probe said it went from about 118F when I sat it down to a high of about 125F with carryover heat.

7. I cranked the heat up full as I could on the BGE XL, I didn't reconfigure anything, so it was just the original side with coals....but temps at top of dome reported just shy of 500F. It was flaming red and flames occasionally licking the grates. I did use the cast iron grates.

8. Here's where I was a little confused. I'd seen many things saying to just sear at high heat for 1 minute a side. But I had let the steak rest longer than usual. I also had the thermometer probe still in it, reporting starting temp about 119F-120F....this barely moved and I wasn't sure what it should be at....since cooking was interrupted.

9. I did the steak on side 1 for 1 minute, decent grill marks, but didn't look as browned as I'd like. I flipped first time and did side #1 for a minute. I flipped back to side one and angled for crosshatch marks..and did this side for about 2 min. When I flipped, to side 2 for second time...side one looked perfect, temp was about 124F.

10. I only wanted to leave side #2 down for second time for a short time, as that I pressed the steak and it was starting to feel firm...so this last time was maybe a minute or just over.

11. I brought in steak...it rested only a short time, since that I'd heard, and read that if it rested from earlier cooking and was just reheated slightly for sear, you didn't need to rest again.

This last part seemed true..it held its juices just fine.

So, I'm still wondering about how long to sear...and what temps should look like on the sear stage...

But this is something I'll work with and vary as I go. I did NOT ruin a $30 steak like I have previously....so, I'm happy about that.

Thanks to all.....and after reading my report you have suggestions, please let me know and I'll try this next time!!

Cayenne
After a few reverse sears, you just a feel for when the steaks are "there" when searing.

From your pics, you nailed it!

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #25
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

Double post...my bad, mods.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #26
bucko
is one Smokin' Farker

Use royal oak get grill hot as you can hopefully 500 degrees place that bad boy on a lightly oiled grate directly over coals sear that beautiful piece of meat on 1side then the other shouldn't take long bingo your making me hungry the only way IMO to grill a steak
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #27
bucko
is one Smokin' Farker

Didn't know there was so many ways to grill a steak I've only done it one way my whole life no need to over think it sear that baby high heat
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #28
BillATL
Full Fledged Farker

I've fully committed to sous vide with the current price of good steaks :-)

It's the same philosophy as a reverse sear but basically fool proof. Since the cooking temperature is the same as the finish temperature there's no guesswork with carryover. I toss the steaks in the sous vide dialed to the internal temp I want and let them sit for a couple hours (depends on thickness how long they need to go) but they can hold for several hours with no ill effect. Pull them out to sit at room temp while the grill comes up to nuclear and sear both sides.
BillATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big green egg, Grill, steak