• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Camping

TXBronco

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So my wife and I sat down last night and decided what our summer is going to look like this year. We both teach so our summers are ours. We decided we will be hitting Palo Duro Canyon State Park every week for some hiking and biking and camping. We will be going to Silverthorne, Colorado and we will be going to Pagosa Springs, Colorado for 8 days with friends. This being said, some will be camping some will be in cabins. I would like to have a smoker with me since we will be with Family and Friends each time. I do not want to take my UDS due to size. I've seen people post about mini smokers or small compact smokers. Can anyone post pics or links or how to on building one?

I will be proactive when keeping bears and other wildlife away, scouts honor.

Any small grill with a cover and a smoke tube and flavor pellets will do for camping. Rec Tec has a nice little unit as well but you'll need electric.

This works well, two cinder blocks, grate-- open fire cooking.

Jack

Attachments

• _DSC7866_1.jpg
    _DSC7866_1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 254
Google Weber Mini and you will find a host of different sites with build steps, I love mine and truth be told since building it I use it more than any other smoker I have. Being a household of 2 the only time I use the stick burner or my new cabinet is when I am doing a brisket, or cooking for a lot of people like I do occasionally at work.

My mini made out of a jumbo joe grill and 80 quart SS pot....aka Jimmy

Nice and portable, the JJ holds together with the bail and the pot has handles. The jumbo joe makes a fantastic stand alone grill and of course together it's a great smoker. I also have a cajun bandit to rotisserie. shown here

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173767

What Fwismoker said. I have a Jumbo Joe in my camper for this reason as well. I haven't started my conversion, but there a various plans on building a Jimmy. I found one that used a roll of aluminum flashing that is riveted together to create the barrel. The pots can be kind of expensive. I may have time to make one this summer since I only have 1 camping trip planned, but that's another story.

Last edited:
My mini made out of a jumbo joe grill and 80 quart SS pot....aka Jimmy

Nice and portable, the JJ holds together with the bail and the pot has handles. The jumbo joe makes a fantastic stand alone grill and of course together it's a great smoker. I also have a cajun bandit to rotisserie. shown here

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173767

Thanks for the link! That's just what I'm looking for!

TX, just to be clear, there are two different sized "Weber Minis" that you can make. One uses the Smokey Joe and is 14.5in in diameter, the other uses the Jumbo Joe which is 18.5

The Smokey Joe can be built for under $100. Retail on the grill is $30ish from Target, HD, etc. The 32Qt tamale pot (Vasconia if you can find one, or IMUSA) will run you $30 or less.

The cost of a Jumbo Joe mini is considerably more as the grill is $60ish and the price of 80qt pot for the center section is a lot more.

Jumbo Joe plus this...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EQ7NXE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=IVXRS2I0Y0KP&coliid=I16M5LC2Y5Z5PW"]Amazon.com: 80 qt stainless steel stock pot with rack and lid: Stockpots: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JbqGmc6GL.@@AMEPARAM@@51JbqGmc6GL[/ame]

So my wife and I sat down last night and decided what our summer is going to look like this year. We both teach so our summers are ours. We decided we will be hitting Palo Duro Canyon State Park every week for some hiking and biking and camping. We will be going to Silverthorne, Colorado and we will be going to Pagosa Springs, Colorado for 8 days with friends. This being said, some will be camping some will be in cabins. I would like to have a smoker with me since we will be with Family and Friends each time. I do not want to take my UDS due to size. I've seen people post about mini smokers or small compact smokers. Can anyone post pics or links or how to on building one?

I will be proactive when keeping bears and other wildlife away, scouts honor.

You might want to think about a gas grill for Palo Duro Canyon. They rarely lift the fire ban.

TX, just to be clear, there are two different sized "Weber Minis" that you can make. One uses the Smokey Joe and is 14.5in in diameter, the other uses the Jumbo Joe which is 18.5

The Smokey Joe can be built for under $100. Retail on the grill is $30ish from Target, HD, etc. The 32Qt tamale pot (Vasconia if you can find one, or IMUSA) will run you $30 or less.

The cost of a Jumbo Joe mini is considerably more as the grill is $60ish and the price of 80qt pot for the center section is a lot more.

I was looking at both earlier and you're right, there is a difference in price for sure. It'll be the Smokey Joe to travel. Hell, I just might weld up a trailer hitch attachment for my UDS. HA

Back