• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Plastic Bushings in lid bungs

I unbolted the lids on my barrels today. The bungs in the lids are a plastic or nylon material. I thought "no problem, I will just put a metal bung in the small one and screw a pipe stack in the large one for the exhaust". However, there are some type of plastic bushings that the bungs screw into. Has anyone run into this? I cut through one of them with a jigsaw and have still not been able to get it out. It has a flange on the bottom side of the lid with holes like maybe a spanner wrench could be used to remove it but I can't budge it.

Follow up on using the basket from the 15 gallon aluminum pot. Trying to max my temps was a very bad idea, I have managed to burn right through the bottom of the basket. Now I have to get an expanded steel basket.

I unbolted the lids on my barrels today. The bungs in the lids are a plastic or nylon material. I thought "no problem, I will just put a metal bung in the small one and screw a pipe stack in the large one for the exhaust". However, there are some type of plastic bushings that the bungs screw into. Has anyone run into this? I cut through one of them with a jigsaw and have still not been able to get it out. It has a flange on the bottom side of the lid with holes like maybe a spanner wrench could be used to remove it but I can't budge it.
Fire will remove most anything. :becky:

Fire will remove most anything. :becky:

Yeah, I ended up doing that. Heated it till soft and then popped them out. Now I have to figure out what kind of exhaust I will do. I'm tempted to plug both holes and drill the eight 1/2" holes. But then again I just found a brand new 22 1/2" kingsford kettle in Craigslist new in the box for $40. The lid may just fit.

I don't know if I can explain mine well. The bung had a rubberish white cover with an aluminum retaining band. I cut the band off, then removed the cover. Then used a vice grip and unscrewed the metal bung plug.

As for cutting 8 holes - what will happen when it rains when you are smoking? If your lid is shapped like mine - all the water that hits the lid will go in the pit.

I don't know if I can explain mine well. The bung had a rubberish white cover with an aluminum retaining band. I cut the band off, then removed the cover. Then used a vice grip and unscrewed the metal bung plug.

As for cutting 8 holes - what will happen when it rains when you are smoking? If your lid is shapped like mine - all the water that hits the lid will go in the pit.
Sounds fairly standard.

Yeah, I ended up doing that. Heated it till soft and then popped them out. Now I have to figure out what kind of exhaust I will do. I'm tempted to plug both holes and drill the eight 1/2" holes. But then again I just found a brand new 22 1/2" kingsford kettle in Craigslist new in the box for $40. The lid may just fit.

I opened up the bigger hole and thats it lol. I didnt bother putting any type of exhaust on it and it works just fine.

I opened up the bigger hole and thats it lol. I didnt bother putting any type of exhaust on it and it works just fine.

I did pick up the 22 1/2" kingsford kettle for $40. If the lid fits I may use it on the UDS. If not I will just plug the small hole on the existing lid and leave the large one open like you suggested? I just went to Lowes and I think I got everything I needed except the expanded metal. I spent $68 there. This thing is getting out of hand but I'm having fun. I can't wait to cook on it.

Sorry i did not post for a while. WAIT do not use!! Toulene is very harmfull. We use it to thin paint at work and if you do not use thick rubber gloves it will dry out your hands to almost white. I would suggest finding a food grade drum (with painted inside) and burn a couple of pallets in it.

Then wire wheel it clean and spray with Pam and season it a couple of times at 350`. That is what I did and have not looked back since.

Beware Toulene is a thinner, but stronger than your normal thinner you buy at HD.

Just my $.01

Thanks. The sticker on the barrel says " inhibited with less than 20 ppm of butyl hydroxy toulene"

I'll be taking the drum to a place to get it sandblasted. Thanks for the help!

I did pick up the 22 1/2" kingsford kettle for $40. If the lid fits I may use it on the UDS. If not I will just plug the small hole on the existing lid and leave the large one open like you suggested? I just went to Lowes and I think I got everything I needed except the expanded metal. I spent $68 there. This thing is getting out of hand but I'm having fun. I can't wait to cook on it.

I also have a weber lid I use when cooking both or top grates. I actually prefer to use top grate now and I think I get more of a smoke taste as well.

basket size??

I have now read 210 pages of this thread. I have seen a lot and compiled a lot of good information. However, I am still unsure about the best basket size. I have seen a lot of different sizes. I know there is nothing set in stone but does anyone have any advice on this? I have a brand new Weber grate for a 21 1/2" grill that measures 17" in diameter. I would like to use it but it looks a little big to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Question for you guys that have experience with both a UDS and WSM (18.5). Which one would you get if you had the choice. I can possibly get a WSM for around $150 but am trying to decide which way to go. Thanks.

I have now read 210 pages of this thread. I have seen a lot and compiled a lot of good information. However, I am still unsure about the best basket size. I have seen a lot of different sizes. I know there is nothing set in stone but does anyone have any advice on this? I have a brand new Weber grate for a 21 1/2" grill that measures 17" in diameter. I would like to use it but it looks a little big to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

I've used both the 17" coal grate and the smaller 14" one too. Personally, I like the larger grate because I've set up my basket to sit up directly under the cooking grates to use as a direct grill if I want to. A smaller basket would make this less practical.
firebasket-1.jpg

TurtleDrumOpen.jpg

What mine looks like,

4055093283_e5ea47d461_z.jpg

Here are some rough drawings, the first is my 55 gallon UDS the second is my 30 gallon mUDS.
The drawings are for all expnded. I prefer using a coal grate bottom.

5151141247_688802d5f0_z.jpg

First build

brand new drum grates all stainles hardware and legs 225.00. build first fire in it tommarrow

Attachments

• 0120011600.jpg
    0120011600.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 916
  • 0120011600a.jpg
    0120011600a.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 915
uds paint

used 900 deg vht caliber paint. i forgot to note i got the new lid free courtisy of jim presscotts bbq shop in sterling il

Back