MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #46
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I really enjoy the chili cookoffs too. Some, the bigger Open ones, with 250-400 entrants
are more of a zoo. However, the smaller CASI ones tend to be fun but with some very
serious and good chili cooks. Normally you can get in and out the same day. Where as
the BBQ contests we'll go in Friday morning for KCBS, Thursday morning for MBN, and
usually we dont pull up stakes until Sunday.

Yes, like BBQ, chili is regional. However, just because you're in an area dont assume
that the judges all fit in that same regional mode. Most are allowed to drink before
hand. If they're drinking a few beers (it's less stressful than BBQ) the slightly
more salty chili's seem to do a little better. The younger the judges, averages being
averages, the more they seem to like the hotter spices. I'm usually happy when
there's a whole lot of 28 year old judges around (mine being fairly hot). I'll use a
little more Sauzon Goya (which is very salty) in my last dump if I see them drinking beer...

Open chili contests are also fun, but that zoo factor. I saw an entry come across
one year where they'd taken rib eyes and grilled them to a perfect medium rare,
put a little chili powder on them, sliced them up and presented it. It was some of
the best seasoned steak I'd EVER had. However, IMHO, it wasn't "chili". Luckily
they finished middle of the pack. They were right next to us; we really enjoyed
helping them eat all the leftovers.

Between competing and charging judges then sampling afterwards, I think I've seen
just about everything come across a table and been called chili. It's rather strange
(to me) what some will do. I mean, potatoes, mushrooms, asparagus (chopped really
fine), olives, pasta more than once, peas, etc. Funny stuff.

I enjoy my Texas Red, but I do prefer good old cajun chili with beans in it and pieces
of bell pepper, onion, garlic, tomato, and some diced jalepeno (west LA). That, some
good cold beer, perhaps some type of cheese on top, and FOOOOOOOTBALL. That
to me is heaven on earth. A very close 2nd to this would be more pulled pork or
beef than you could possibly consume with some baked beans and cole slaw with
a ton of COLD BEER on July 4th.

To put a very confusing spin on it, I'm of cajun heritage, born in Tuscaloosa AL,
and raised in Georgia just a little west of Athens. My daughter is attending UGA,
but: ROLL TIDE

Awesome story and details. Makes me feel like I'm at a Chili Contest! Also interesting how the age of of the judges and whether they are tossing back a few coldies can make a difference. That's some real attention to detail and strategy tight there.
So the Opens are more flexible with what you can turn in vs. a CASI where they are more specific about what you can use and turn in? I found one this month and 3 next month in my area. All are CASI CCOs. None seem to be Opens.
Very NICE!!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 09-10-2010 at 12:47 PM..
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #47
moonpie
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
So for those of you that compete or have competed, judges obviously look for taste, color, texture, appearance, etc. But, when it comes to the heat, what have you all seen they prefer most? Hot, Med, Mild?

Bob
Bob,
When I cook competition chili, I always notice that when the judges are assembled that they always include some of the local dignitaries...older pillars of the community...they are the ones I cook for, so I will adjust the heat level to suit their pallet...taste up front, heat on the back.
moonpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #48
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Lake Dog I like your description of your Cajun Chili, sounds like my kind of chili and was wondering if you are up to sharing it. I would like to make a batch tomorrow if you are.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I really enjoy the chili cookoffs too. Some, the bigger Open ones, with 250-400 entrants
are more of a zoo. However, the smaller CASI ones tend to be fun but with some very
serious and good chili cooks. Normally you can get in and out the same day. Where as
the BBQ contests we'll go in Friday morning for KCBS, Thursday morning for MBN, and
usually we dont pull up stakes until Sunday.

Yes, like BBQ, chili is regional. However, just because you're in an area dont assume
that the judges all fit in that same regional mode. Most are allowed to drink before
hand. If they're drinking a few beers (it's less stressful than BBQ) the slightly
more salty chili's seem to do a little better. The younger the judges, averages being
averages, the more they seem to like the hotter spices. I'm usually happy when
there's a whole lot of 28 year old judges around (mine being fairly hot). I'll use a
little more Sauzon Goya (which is very salty) in my last dump if I see them drinking beer...

Open chili contests are also fun, but that zoo factor. I saw an entry come across
one year where they'd taken rib eyes and grilled them to a perfect medium rare,
put a little chili powder on them, sliced them up and presented it. It was some of
the best seasoned steak I'd EVER had. However, IMHO, it wasn't "chili". Luckily
they finished middle of the pack. They were right next to us; we really enjoyed
helping them eat all the leftovers.

Between competing and charging judges then sampling afterwards, I think I've seen
just about everything come across a table and been called chili. It's rather strange
(to me) what some will do. I mean, potatoes, mushrooms, asparagus (chopped really
fine), olives, pasta more than once, peas, etc. Funny stuff.

I enjoy my Texas Red, but I do prefer good old cajun chili with beans in it and pieces
of bell pepper, onion, garlic, tomato, and some diced jalepeno (west LA). That, some
good cold beer, perhaps some type of cheese on top, and FOOOOOOOTBALL. That
to me is heaven on earth. A very close 2nd to this would be more pulled pork or
beef than you could possibly consume with some baked beans and cole slaw with
a ton of COLD BEER on July 4th.

To put a very confusing spin on it, I'm of cajun heritage, born in Tuscaloosa AL,
and raised in Georgia just a little west of Athens. My daughter is attending UGA,
but: ROLL TIDE
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote