Grass-Fed Beef versus Grain-Fed Beef...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Let the discussions begin...:becky: ***CLICK***

1104p138-grass-fed-beef-x.jpg

1104p139-grain-fed-beef-x.jpg

I would not pay the premium for the stuff in the store, but if i can buy a 1/4 or 1/2 grass fed from a local guy, I would try it.

Funny you should post this now, JD.

I was just discussing this with the mother of a friend last weekend. They raise 1 or 2 head of beef per year. Sell one and butcher the other.

She was explaining to me that their cattle graze on grass, but they also suppliment their feed with grain. She said that (in her opinion) the grain gives the meat a deeper, better flavor.

I've not compared them, myself and really have no idea. I know my brother paid out the NOSE for some fresh grass fed beef steaks shipped from Montana a couple of years ago. Said it was by far the best steaks he'd ever eaten.

So for me.....it's all heresay. I'll be interested in what the rest of y'all have to say.

ok, let me say this first before yall flame me. I grew up with a mom who is a member of the following:

Best friends animal sanctuary
WWF (no, not the wrestling. haha)
Wild Horse association

Being a great mom that she is, always taught me to be nice to the we lil creatures. So im for what ever option is nice to the cow! haha

I have HEARD that cows can eat grain but they shouldnt because it hurts them! As in stomach has a very hard time to digest the grain and or corn. There is a diff between grains and corn i presume?

thanks

If my budget alowed it I'd buy local 4-H beef raised on grass suplemented with hay and grain, without all the extra garbage feed lot beef is fed.

Raised with loving care, every day, and fed like happy animals like to eat.

I've begun to eat some more grass-fed beef primarily for the aiding in a healthier balance of Omega 3 fatty acids vs. Omega 6's and just more natural raising. I've ordered from two online places so far based on recommendations by a friend... have also begun to explore farms in upstate NY to see if their costs are cheaper but have not ordered from them yet.

US Wellness/Grassland Beef http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok
North Star Bison http://www.northstarbison.com/

I've got a small grass fed brisket in my freezer that I have not cooked yet. I'll likely have to adjust cooking usual cooking methods. Most likely I'll stick with grass fed for brisket, beef ribs or other BBQ cuts when I just want lots of fat, but for more everyday beef consumption I'd like to move to grass fed more often if I can.

It's just so expensive though :mad:

Last edited:
I have HEARD that cows can eat grain but they shouldnt because it hurts them! As in stomach has a very hard time to digest the grain and or corn. There is a diff between grains and corn i presume?

thanks

never mind. figured it out. They can indeed have it, just shouldn't be there main stapple. Kinda like how dog foods main ingredients are corn and wheat. i have never ever seen a dog eat a corn stalk before. But i have seen cows. haha.

I have not had any beef from grass feed. I should try it out though and see what happens

I use a lot of grass fed beef and I prefer the taste. It is different than grain or formula fed beef but, I can like both. It is like milk or dark chocolate, they are both good in the right use.

I do prefer steaks medium rare verging on rare, so that is not a problem. I have cooked several grass fed and finished briskets and they were excellent, juicy and with great flavor and texture. Moisture was not an issue either.

I use a lot of grass fed beef and I prefer the taste. It is different than grain or formula fed beef but, I can like both. It is like milk or dark chocolate, they are both good in the right use.

I do prefer steaks medium rare verging on rare, so that is not a problem. I have cooked several grass fed and finished briskets and they were excellent, juicy and with great flavor and texture. Moisture was not an issue either.

thanks for the info. I found a local place that has grass fed free range organic beef. You can see all there cows out in the fields to. But they want close to 4.50$ a pound for ground beef. I bet it was cheaper 3 months ago! haha

I eat both, bot prefer the grass fed for a host of reasons. Not the least of the matter is the infusion of Bt corn.

Back