First Whole Chicken - Is it good?

IshamR09

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Cooked my first whole chicken today. Cooked around 290 for about an hour and a half, thermometer read 175 in the thigh and higher in the breast. When pulling the legs, I had a significant amount of red meat. I know that I should expect some around the bones and at the joints, but this seems excessive. Thoughts? I saved the breast but pitched the rest. I think I made the right decision, but uncertain.

Just not done yet, I cook whole fryers at 325-350 and temp at thigh 180-185

Larry

It actually doesn't look like you have any red around the bones/joints, is that true? The red looks to be closer to the surface. Chicken will turn a red color when smoked (pink color is common for smoked chicken). Also, the juices on the board look to be clear. That is another indication that your chicken was properly cooked.

I would not say that you should expect pink meat around the bone/joints...that would be undercooked. A fully cooked bird will not show pink in those areas.

If you did have alot of undercooked meat, then immediately throw that crummy thermometer away or learn how to calibrate it...it's way off.

But from what I see the thermometer is fine. The bird looks just right. Are the pictures showing an accurate representation?

Looks close to done, tendon still attached, just a little longer IMHO

Larry

I'd say it's done. Looks like the the meat pulled off the bone easily.
I smoke mine for 1.5 hours at 190 then turn up to 325 until done, approx 1.25 - 1.5 hours additional. I like mine well done but still moist.

I'd just throw the red parts back on a bit. Other than that it looks great.

Don't know what smoker you have but in mine the meat next to the grate gets more of a smoke ring than the upper parts.
This could be one explanation for the pink leg meat. Can't remember the breast getting much of a smoke ring.

It actually doesn't look like you have any red around the bones/joints, is that true? The red looks to be closer to the surface. Chicken will turn a red color when smoked (pink color is common for smoked chicken). Also, the juices on the board look to be clear. That is another indication that your chicken was properly cooked.

I would not say that you should expect pink meat around the bone/joints...that would be undercooked. A fully cooked bird will not show pink in those areas.

If you did have alot of undercooked meat, then immediately throw that crummy thermometer away or learn how to calibrate it...it's way off.

But from what I see the thermometer is fine. The bird looks just right. Are the pictures showing an accurate representation?

I didn't have any red around the bones and the juices were clear. I picked the worst for the photos.

Don't know what smoker you have but in mine the meat next to the grate gets more of a smoke ring than the upper parts.
This could be one explanation for the pink leg meat. Can't remember the breast getting much of a smoke ring.

I have an Acorn and cook with the pizza stone in it; decent separation.

Sounds like I need to try it again and let the yard bird cook a bit longer. Thanks!

It looks fine to me. The temperature is fine as well (again, if your thermometer is accurate).
I wouldn't have thrown anything out. If you are worried, I would just have fried it a bit more (even if that's on the stove in a skillet).
It's most likely just the smoke ring.
I have to admit, I found that a bit scary looking the first time I smoked a chicken :wink:

I switched to spatchcock (butterfly ) method only now. Dark meat at 185, 165 on breasts. I inject with butter and chix broth before cooking. Plowboys yardbird rub. Nuttin finer. Wife pulls meat off the birds. Only problem is she samples too much!

Back