• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Special BOD meeting agenda posted

Daytona Beach
Brooklyn, MI
Springdale, AR
Hot Springs, AR
Talledega, AL
Irving, TX
Richmond, VA
Dallas, TX

Interesting idea got my wheels turning

Merl what is the competitor series?

The organizer is allowed to change the standard KCBS rules of competition. The organizer uses KCBS judging and scoring. The LPQ was a competitor series because gas was used. It will qualify for jack and perhaps the royal, but not for KCBS TOY.

There is more, but these are the highlights.

Merl

Thanks for posting that Merl. And yes, I believe you are correct... The AR does not require an event be KCBS sanctioned to get an invitation. It can just be of the proper size and a state championship to qualify for the invite. Same with the Jack. your event can qualify for the Jack draw based on size, state championship status, or status with an approved sanctioning body. In both cases, if you want your event in the mix, you have to work with the organizer of the invitational.

LPQ was a great event. I always thought we would see more events like that... maybe a stickburner only event sponsored by lang, or a WSM only event, etc... that excluded pellets or excluded charcoal or some that focused on all hog or all beef, etc... It never really took off, so this might be good for it.

I always thought we would see more events like that... maybe a stickburner only event sponsored by lang, or a WSM only event, etc... that excluded pellets or excluded charcoal or some that focused on all hog or all beef, etc... It never really took off, so this might be good for it.
Here here!

Not that I have any special distaste for pellets, but it would be a fun time to have a specific one fuel source event from time to time.

If this becomes a way to put a contest next door to a existing one same date
That really is sad

Here here!

Not that I have any special distaste for pellets, but it would be a fun time to have a specific one fuel source event from time to time.

The first 4 years of the polar swine was stickburner only.
The last year was open pit... any fuel source.

The "stickburner only" was what some folks used as an excuse to not come out and cook in Feb, on lake Melvern (middle of KS). So I removed that requirement, and said bring any pit!!:twisted:

I'd love to see more events like the LPQ.

Thanks for posting that Merl. And yes, I believe you are correct... The AR does not require an event be KCBS sanctioned to get an invitation. It can just be of the proper size and a state championship to qualify for the invite. Same with the Jack. your event can qualify for the Jack draw based on size, state championship status, or status with an approved sanctioning body. In both cases, if you want your event in the mix, you have to work with the organizer of the invitational.

LPQ was a great event. I always thought we would see more events like that... maybe a stickburner only event sponsored by lang, or a WSM only event, etc... that excluded pellets or excluded charcoal or some that focused on all hog or all beef, etc... It never really took off, so this might be good for it.

I think there are also category requirements for Jack and Royal qualifiers. I think you have to have a beef and chicken category. I recall that the Qlossal was not a qualifier because it didn't have chicken and brisket.

I don't see that written anywhere in the highlights.....

LOL You don't highlight something like that
Here is the question
Would a competitors series event be subject to the same
rules regarding contest date as a regular KCBS event?
or say it this way
Could someone place a competitor event on the calendar
on the same day as a regular event about 15 miles away?

Phoenix is not on the list anymore. Looks like all that fuss about wanting Phoenix on the same date as an existing contest has changed. How often does this schedule of events change?

LOL You don't highlight something like that
Here is the question
Would a competitors series event be subject to the same
rules regarding contest date as a regular KCBS event?
or say it this way
Could someone place a competitor event on the calendar
on the same day as a regular event about 15 miles away?

Good question Thom,
KCBS policy is that all forms of sanctioning Masters (traditional) Competitive, or 1st time Licensed contest are all subject to the rules considering saturation and density of cooks when considering request, in any geographical area.
Merl

I think there are also category requirements for Jack and Royal qualifiers. I think you have to have a beef and chicken category. I recall that the Qlossal was not a qualifier because it didn't have chicken and brisket.

I believe it's beef, pork, chicken. Most contests in Texas will have brisket, ribs, 1/2 chicken. There aren't many 'state championship' events either, because it's so common to reach the 50 team mark to become a qualifier.

I believe it's beef, pork, chicken. Most contests in Texas will have brisket, ribs, 1/2 chicken. There aren't many 'state championship' events either, because it's so common to reach the 50 team mark to become a qualifier.

Yes, I wasn't clear on the pork. Thanks.

Or a pellet only event sponsored by Cookshack, BBQers Delight, Traeger, etc. :rolleyes:

Phoenix is not on the list anymore. Looks like all that fuss about wanting Phoenix on the same date as an existing contest has changed. How often does this schedule of events change?

The dates have been all over the plaace with SOTW and the Phoenix contest.

I think more to the point is why one contest can get a second look from the BOD and the other (AZ BBQ) doesn't get that same luxury? the BOD needs to be held accountible. Just not voting on who is friends with who...

One could assume that Phoenix is not on the list because the organizer knows that there is a conflict, and has no intention of seeking KCBS sanctioning for that event.

Back