Newbie has questions about Smokers

CrackerJack from KC

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been smoking Briskets, Turkeys, and Jerky for years on my 2 cheapo Brinkmann electric smokers. They work great, but I have never cooked in a smoke ring, and I am ready to get in tune with the Piromaniac inside of me.

So I have been lurking here for a while and I have a few questions.

My 1st question is does every smoker need to be modified out of the box?
Does the U in UDS reallys stand for Ugly? :icon_blush:
Should I look at Banderas, Offsets, or just default to a WSM?
Is there a difference between a Bandera and a SKD?
Should I buy new, or try to get a deal on a higher end used one?
PS, my budget is $300.
Are there ever any deals on smokers in KC? :?:

I am sure these questions have been answered before, but I figure this is why the forum is here to help out newbies like me.

Last edited:
Build yourself a UDS. For less than 50 bucks you can have yourself a serious kick ass smoker. Plus the build it yourself factor is really awsome.

The smoker you decide on is kinda based on what do you want to do with it. You mentioned a WSM, 250 bucks would build you enough UDS's to cook for a neighborhood. They are pretty much set it and forget it and the Q is fantastic. I gotta warn ya, once you go drum you may not go back. LOL My offset is in the backyard looking like the old dog ya couldn't house break.

w.s.m great cooker you could also build a couple of drums . for a lot less. not sure what a briscuits is. if you need any help with the u.d.s just keep posting. alot of help out there for that cooker

Should I look at Banderas, Offsets, or just default to a WSM?
PS, my budget is $300.

It depends on what you want to do. Are you just wanting a nice little smoker for the backyard and that's all or are you wanting to eventually move up to maybe doing some local cookoffs. Do you want a set it and forget it smoker or do you want to have one to mess with. The first smoker I had was a little store bought offset. It was a great tool for learning fire control, draft, hot spots and cold spots, fun to play with by modifying different things to see what it will do witch will help you if you ever get a bigger one for cookoffs and such. You can learn alot with one of these. I am glad I had an offset as a first smoker just for the knowledge I got from it.

If you want a set it and forget type a WSM is wonderful for your price range. I cooked a ham on mine tonight. Dump briquets and some wood chunks in it and forget about it. If you have access to a drum the Ugly Drum Smoker seems to be a hot item here lately. I am in the process of trying to find a drum now just because "I just got to have one now".

I'm too Lazy to build my own.

My issues with building a UDS is that I once built a Cyclone Dust Collector (for my other hobby woodworking), and althought it works great, I would not wish that level of effort on anyone.

I noticed that a lot of WSM owners built a UDS, so my next question is other than the price and the fact you made it yourself, what are the advantages of the performance of a UDS? and is there anyone that ever built a UDS that said they wouldn't do it again?

Last edited:
If you followed the thread about the XXL UDS, I built that in less than a full day. A regular UDS just takes a few hours and minimal tools. Besides, If you decide to do one, I know an avid woodworker that would be willing to help out. :D

UDS do not take more than an afternoon and a half to build, a full day at the most. Not much effort at all. I actually spent more actual time locating a drum. Once I had the drum, it was done in a matter of hours (an hour every couple days, and a Saturday morning).

The reason I like it better than the WSM already is cooking space. You run out of room real quick on a WSM. I LOVE my 2 WSMs, dont get me wrong. I will cook on my WSMs at comps probably more than I will on my UDS, but I can get way more meat into my UDS than I can on WSMs 18.5 inch grills

My issues with building a UDS is that I once built a Cyclone Dust Collector (for my other hobby woodworking), and althought it works great, I would not wish that level of effort on anyone.

I noticed that a lot of WSM owners built a UDS, so my next question is other than the price and the fact you made it yourself, what are the advantages of the performance of a UDS? and is there anyone that ever built a UDS that said they wouldn't do it again?

I agree that a lot depend on how much you intend to cook at a time. I love my WSM but only cook for family and small parties. If you want to cook more at a time, then the UDS has more capacity. Both are pretty consistent with being able to walk away and not closely monitor

UDS do not take more than an afternoon and a half to build, a full day at the most. Not much effort at all. I actually spent more actual time locating a drum. Once I had the drum, it was done in a matter of hours (an hour every couple days, and a Saturday morning).

I agree. It took me a friday night to put mine together. I have five different smokers to cook on and I use the UDS by far the most. Don't know if I'll use it for comps or not, but for home use it can't get any simpler.

If you just want to buy a smoker and use it, the WSM is the way to go. If you want to make something yourself, I would say the UDS is the way to go. Again it depends on what you are trying to do as well, backyard or comp or both. You will not regret buying a WSM no matter which way you decide.

WSM is BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!

I wish my first smoker was a WSM
you will have a ball. be carefull.
BBQ is very habit forming.
have fun. :-D

I would also say WSM is the way to go. ready to rock and roll right out of the box.

Cooker

Get the WSM first and then if you feel like building a UDS go for it but you can start cooking as soon as you get the WSM home...

I'll have to vote UDS. I'm sure you will have no problem building it since you are an avid woodworker. I don't own a WSM, but I don't doubt that it produces good que, as does the UDS. IMO, you would enjoy the UDS better simply for the fact that you built it, and you made good que on it.

why spend the money to let the wsm sit build the uds it wont be your last i cook on mine in comps also

UDS are great but if you dont want to build one a WSM is the best choice for smoking with a $300 budget imho. If you want to play with fire and you dont want to spend much money, the Chargriller with sidebox is the one to get. It is a great grill, warmer, and smoker. I have owned both the WSM, and the chargriller. Both are great. The WSM is better for overnight cooks if you want to sleep. No question about that, but I am more than happy with my cheap chargriller. Since getting the Spicewine, I didnt need the WSM so I loaned it to my nephew, but he aint getting my CGer. All the info in this thread is good, you cant go wrong with any of it.

For about $375-$400 you can buy both the WSM and the CGer.
good luck.

If you followed the thread about the XXL UDS, I built that in less than a full day. A regular UDS just takes a few hours and minimal tools. Besides, If you decide to do one, I know an avid woodworker that would be willing to help out. :D

Thanks for the offer.

I might just have to go UDS. So where is the best place to get the Drums in KC, or is Drum hunting part of the process:biggrin:?

You guys definately have me thinking.:confused:

I cannot disagree with anything that has been posted... I have a WSM and 2 UDSs and I love to cook on them all. Two points... do not be intimidated about building a UDS if I can do it anyone can. The only tools involved are a drill and maybe a wire brush.

Also, there is a bit of difference in the taste of the food on the UDS. Since you are cooking direct and the fat drips on the coals you get what I call the old time flavor of Q. I prefer that most of the time.

Best of luck with your decision... I don't think you will go wrong either way.

Back