MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
SmokinPaPa
On the road to being a farker

Wink Brinkman Smoker

I have a Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe smoker. Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping the temperature regulated and how to get a good wood fire going in the fire box?
SmokinPaPa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

Use lump charcoal to maintain cooking temps and ad wood chunks for flavoring of your meats. Each cooker has different adjustments that are unique, I am sure that someone that owns one will chime in shortly. When you get it figured out make sure that you post pictures, remember no pics- it did not happen.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
DMDon
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengoose View Post
I have a Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe smoker. Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping the temperature regulated and how to get a good wood fire going in the fire box?

I used one for years. The key for me was airflow. I used lump and chunks of wood for flavor. Make sure there is airflow under the grate in the fire box. Too little airflow or too much ash will snuff out the fire and make it harder to keep constant temps. Then with practice you will figure out how far to open the inflow door and the lid on the stack. By keeping the fire constant(adding fuel every 1 to 2 hours) also helps. I got pretty good at keeping mine right at 225. See if that helps.
KCBS CBJ #23234
DMDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Big Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengoose View Post

My first job out out of college was doing sales & service for Brinkmann.

DMDon's suggestion is close to exactally what we told customers who called in asking for advise.
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Use lump charcoal to maintain cooking temps and ad wood chunks for flavoring of your meats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDon View Post
The key for me was airflow. I used lump and chunks of wood for flavor. Make sure there is airflow under the grate in the fire box. Too little airflow or too much ash will snuff out the fire and make it harder to keep constant temps. Then with practice you will figure out how far to open the inflow door and the lid on the stack. By keeping the fire constant(adding fuel every 1 to 2 hours) also helps. I got pretty good at keeping mine right at 225. See if that helps.
My second cooker was a Brinkman Smoke&Pit Pro... Very similar... Lump and chunks are the key as is 'Ash Control' were the key items... Another trick I used to use was to put an old blanket over the cooking area to help keep down the excess air flow and add some extra insulation...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
SmokinPaPa

Thanks, I will try that. About how many chunks of wood?
SmokinPaPa is offline   Reply With Quote