• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question about KCBS Toy

YankeeBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey Linda or Merl since TOY is being tracked by member number does that mean it doesn't matter what team name I compete under as long as I use my member number to register for the event ?

Sometimes I compete as I Smell Smoke and sometimes I compete as Team Agave. Does this mean I can now combine the scores from both teams ?

I do not have the definitive answer, but we discussed teams like:
Buffalo
Twin Oak
and
Boys from Tornado alley.
There the Boys would be required to have an additional number.

So I guess the question would be is there a difference between I Smell Smoke and Team Agave. Clearly Donny and Bart would have to have a separate number. What is the difference in your teams?

Merl

The difference is the cast of characters I cook with. I Smell Smoke is a team that's been cooking together for over 10 years. Team Agave was born when there were events that ISS could not attend. Team Agave is normally me and my father but occasionally a member from another NEBS team will join me.

So I guess the question would be is there a difference between I Smell Smoke and Team Agave.

My guess would be probably about another 3 bottle of Agave and throw in a couple of bottles of Jack... And that isn't even counting the groupies...

I do have an interest in this as well. As Dr. Porkenstein and myself compete together and had plans of doing it this year as well...

I would say it isnt really tracked by member number if the team name matters :)

In my case... (and Steve's it would appear) I cook as HoDeDo's on occasion, and as Smoke on Wheels... In both cases I am the head cook. If the scoring is actually by my member number, why would the team name matter?

It is interesting for me, as I was going to fly an HDD banner, but always enter as Smoke on Wheels this year.... since I had at least 1 RGC, and several other calls under HDD. Would have been nice to have those roll all towards my TOY for 2008.

If it really will be by member #, that would be great.

The IT/Geek solution is fairly simple. A head cook would use his/her KCBS number when cooking with his primary/registered team. When cooking with an alternate team/name as head cook he/she would use their KCBS number+A. The code to handle that, as well as to verify that a substantially similar name was always associated with the proper KCBS number, would be quite basic and shouldn't be a problem to add.

That's the IT/Geek point of view. I've got no idea what the BoD has in mind.

The IT/Geek solution is fairly simple. A head cook would use his/her KCBS number when cooking with his primary/registered team. When cooking with an alternate team/name as head cook he/she would use their KCBS number+A. The code to handle that, as well as to verify that a substantially similar name was always associated with the proper KCBS number, would be quite basic and shouldn't be a problem to add.

That's the IT/Geek point of view. I've got no idea what the BoD has in mind.

Semantics... but it does come down to if you view team=head cook.
IF not, you have Cook of the year, not Team of the year award. Interesting stuff to be sure.

Come on Merl the board must have put some thought into this stuff before deciding to use member numbers to track TOY. Right ?

Here's a thought...require each team to register and get a team number. Charge a nominal fee and use that revenue to offset the technology cost involved in tracking the teams. It's really not complicated. Judges have numbers, members have numbers, why not give teams their own numbers too?

Or as a member, you get one team number free. Addtional team names cost a nominal fee. But if someone cares that much about their ranking as TOY, why would they cook under multiple team names?

Steve you know better than that. Plan and prepare??? That would require a lot of though in advance. Just kidding.

We did discuss that a combined team could obtain an additional number. We have not discussed your issue, where you desire two team names to apply to a single number.

Speaking only for myself, if the head cook is the same and present, it probably should be ok. I will put this on the agenda.
Merl

Or as a member, you get one team number free. Addtional team names cost a nominal fee. But if someone cares that much about their ranking as TOY, why would they cook under multiple team names?

The reason I cook under different names is I feel it would be disrespectful for me to compete as I Smell Smoke if none of the other team members were there. All that we have accomplished we have accomplished together as a team. But that's just me.

The reason I cook under different names is I feel it would be disrespectful for me to compete as I Smell Smoke if none of the other team members were there. All that we have accomplished we have accomplished together as a team. But that's just me.
Similar issue for me... The HoDeDos were cooking contests before there was a KCBS... I'm the second generation. So When the crew is together we cook as HoDeDos. Lots of history there, and a little different attitude/atmosphere than when I am out with the family as Smoke on Wheels. They don't cook nearly as much as they used to and I needed a way to cook more. Same thought process Steve. I don't think it is fair to cook under the HDD name when I'm not with them... and over the last several years, we've built a whole new set of memories/history as smoke on wheels. So I wouldnt give that up either...

honestly, I dont care what they use to track things - just so long as I know the rules I have to live by. :razz: I've made it the last several years splitting amongst multiple names, so its all good to me either way. It would be kinda cool to have it all roll up under one member number though.

Isn't this to recognize the TEAM of the year?

Playing devil's advocate here:
If we want to break it down to cook of the year, then wouldn't we need to know who cooked what at each event regardless of which team name they under OR even what team they were on?

Unless the cook (whose number is provided) is the one cooking each catagory for all teams they are participating on ... I don't see why that individual should be able to collect the points under different team names.

I just see a whole big can of worms being created instead of solved. Say someone who cooks under 3 different team names was to win TOY ... Which team does KCBS list as the winner?

Edit: I don't mean to insinuate that the people in this discussion are benefiting from cooking on multiple teams, but it's highly likely that others out there would.

I see your point. But to play devils advocate. You could use it by Team name. then how do you reward someone that let's say cooks as BBQ Brethren? There is a California chapter, a Florida Chapter and a Mofo Chapter, et al..... With multiple different head cooks?

Isn't this to recognize the TEAM of the year?

Playing devil's advocate here:
If we want to break it down to cook of the year, then wouldn't we need to know who cooked what at each event regardless of which team name they under OR even what team they were on?

Unless the cook (whose number is provided) is the one cooking each catagory for all teams they are participating on ... I don't see why that individual should be able to collect the points under different team names.

I just see a whole big can of worms being created instead of solved. Say someone who cooks under 3 different team names was to win TOY ... Which team does KCBS list as the winner?

Edit: I don't mean to insinuate that the people in this discussion are benefiting from cooking on multiple teams, but it's highly likely that others out there would.

I think that is the question at hand right? Why change to track points by Member number? and yes, you could go so granular as to do member # by catagory... where does it stop? :rolleyes:

That is why the question is out there. Just want to know the rules - since by default, my member number could be on at least two teams. Heck one year I had 4 teams.... My neighbor (who now cooks as We like Big Butts), and our buddies cooked Cameron a couple years ago as "Bachelor Que" for his bachelor party.... and Wayne, Rick, Bob, Bob, and I cooked Bellevue as the HoDeSparkleHeads for 3 or 4 years...

I see your point. But to play devils advocate. You could use it by Team name. then how do you reward someone that let's say cooks as BBQ Brethren? There is a California chapter, a Florida Chapter and a Mofo Chapter, et al..... With multiple different head cooks?

Great point. I know we have had at least 3 or 4 iterations of the brethren.com team, and ofcourse Phil has the Brothers in Smoke... but could also be the head cook on the brethren.com team too...

Interesting stuff. Again, I was fine just have my points parsed out and spread all over, as in past years, but the new tracking by member number does open up for some different interpretations.

It will be great to see what we hear back as Merl digs into it for us.

Just my 2 cents now.

The main reason for the change is because of the errors in this years TOY. Names keyed into the program differently created several listings that should have been one team.

Unless the rep knows the team and travels contest to contest with them, they may not spell it the same as another rep. Ex. Purple Turtle Catering Company on some organizers forms, on others it is The Purple Turtle Catering Co. -2 different teams unless we have a way to track them. The new program allows for the membership number but I do like the team number idea, register your team and get a number, however, I am not sure our database is built to handle that. Maybe some changes down the road.

You see where this is going?

Now I say register your team and get a number, do you think the majority will....NOT
I oversaw the elections and after 6 months of asking for corrections of emails in the Bullsheet over 100 emails were wrong and we are still missing over 2000 email addresses.
With 4000 cooks, how many will register, 500?

Keep the ideas coming in, maybe we can come up with a solution.

Thanks
Linda

Back