MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
stevenw106
Knows what a fatty is.

Default akorn and uds

i have and currently use a uds thinking of getting one of those new akorns is there any advantages of one over the other in other words can the akorn replace a uds

Last edited by stevenw106; 01-31-2013 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: info
stevenw106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Akorn is insulated and needs a difuser an well in the shape of a Akron. Uds is a 55gal drum and is heaven sent from bbq god's, just sayin I have them both. I got my Akron to do steaks and pizzas it just so happens it can also smoke.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

The Akorn can't replace a UDS. But, it compiments one very well

Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

You could make do with either one on their own, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

I've had great luck with my Akorn and used it 4-5 times per week since buying it last June.

No complaints other than maybe wanting more room. Heck...a second Akorn would fix that, though.

200 degree ribs for six hours....then open up the vents while I'm slicing the ribs onto a serving platter.....then 600+ degree ribeyes. An ultimate meal. Same load of lump.

I've never had a UDS but would like to learn more about them.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
stevenw106
Knows what a fatty is.

Default dub

[QUOTE=DubfromGA;2350011]I've had great luck with my Akorn and used it 4-5 times per week since buying it last June.

No complaints other than maybe wanting more room. Heck...a second Akorn would fix that, though.

200 degree ribs for six hours....then open up the vents while I'm slicing the ribs onto a serving platter.....then 600+ degree ribeyes. An ultimate meal. Same load of lump.

I've never had a UDS but would like to learn more about them.[/QUOTEyea ive seen your writing on gon i follow gon closely i have auds and love it i just thought the akorn do better since its insulated

Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
ajmcedar
Full Fledged Farker

I have both, along with a MUDS and use all three. Each one has their use and place.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

My buddy has an akorn as well as a fast eddie's pellet smoker.

His intention was to use it as a grill with occasional light smoking, and use the big cabinet for competition and feasts.

He LOVES it as a smoker - med size butts, ribs, chicken chug along with hardly any fuel usage. two handfuls of lump is enough to rock a 6hr cook no problem.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Don't have any exp. with an Akorn, but UDS's rule!!! You'd have to pull mine from my cold, dead hands!