MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Mat
On the road to being a farker

Default Questions using WSM and BBQGuru

Today I am doing a small brisket on the WSM.

Question I have is I bought an older bbq guru, model 0504 to be exact, from a member here. The first cook i did I ended up removing the fan because I didnt like it. This time I gave it a second try. After two hours of a solid 240 degrees the WSM dropped to 210.

First question, why didnt the fan kick in? I actually had the fan set between 225-250. When I turned the knob to 250 the fan turned on.

Second, when I opened the WSM door all the coals and wood that was opposite the guru fan were not burned. The outer ring of coals opposite the fan never caught.

Can you use the minion method using a guru? Should I do something else?

So I guess that's three questions.

After a second temp probe in the smoker, it looks like the guru is off by almost 50 degrees. is there a way to fix that?
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
lcbbq
Got Wood.

I have the same setup. I use the minion method when lighting the coals and it seems to work pretty good. However, the wood/charcoal farthest away from the fan seem to be the last pieces to catch on fire. But that has not affected performance. I am not sure why your fan did not kick on, I use the cyberq and have never had an issue. I would email the person you bought it from to see if they have any suggestions.
16" Horizon Backyard Classic
UDS
lcbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

I'm going to be a contrarian, and ask "Why do you need a guru on a WSM in the first place?"

The WSM is designed to run as a stand alone unit. It doesn't need a temp controller. I cook exclusively on WSMs and have never had an issue with temp control on my naturally aspirated machines.

My advice has always been to learn to use the WSM without any fancy contraptions. Then, should you have an issue with the device you'll be able to cook without it.

Back on topic, I can't answer any of your questions.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

I run a digiq on my wsm for long cooks and it always performs remarkably well. I can't comment on your set up but I would look into the probe placement or calibrations. I think a guru or any other automatic temp control device has a lot of merit in contrast to the previous poster put it on a wsm. I like to change one variable at a time and temperature control with a digiq on my wsm is repeatable and let's me focus on cooking changes that I believe will help me make better barbecue.

Last edited by foam2; 10-15-2012 at 05:34 PM..
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
accuseal

Your temp sensing probe may need replacing. They are quite fragile and very sensitive to moisture.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2
accuseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by accuseal View Post
Your temp sensing probe may need replacing. They are quite fragile and very sensitive to moisture.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

Mine is shot, but I had the opposite problem, it didn't get a read so the fan kicked on.

No big deal, it only brought the pit temp up to 275 before i notices. Had to reset the unit about 5 times.

It might be the connection between the fan and the unit. The temp probe might be fine, but it's not connecting properly with the fan.
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
I'm going to be a contrarian, and ask "Why do you need a guru on a WSM in the first place?"

The WSM is designed to run as a stand alone unit. It doesn't need a temp controller. I cook exclusively on WSMs and have never had an issue with temp control on my naturally aspirated machines.

My advice has always been to learn to use the WSM without any fancy contraptions. Then, should you have an issue with the device you'll be able to cook without it.

Back on topic, I can't answer any of your questions.
Ive done two dozen or so cooks on my WSM prior to the guru. Id say half of those went really smooth, and the other it would shoot up to 330+ if I didnt keep an eye on it.

I definitely have an issue with seal on the lid and i have tried bending the mid section multiple times and can never get it right. I might try and find the mod on the net that puts a gasket there.

Why did i decide to go with a guru? Probably the same reason people buy aftermarket parts for their cars. They arent really necessary but either look cool or improve performance. Once I realized the temp probe was off by 50 degrees I was able to keep the smoker at temp with no problem. Now when I do a longer cool, the brisket was small today, I can truly set and forget.

Just wish i knew why the coals only burned on one half.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote