• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Questions for the royal

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Of course this doesn't need any further explanation at all...

I just want to say I'm so pumped for the Royal, I can't stand it!!! You guys always look like you're having so much fun, I can't wait to get involved. What better place to cut your competition teeth than the Grandaddy? And what better place to introduce the world to my babybacks? Lucky world! :lol:

I hope so! All you other MoFo's gotta be there to see me in my first contest! :) I'm making my home brew and kegging it! Man, I'm already feeling tighter than ol' Kick a week before a contest! LOL!

I'm already feeling tighter than ol' Kick a week before a contest!
HEY!! I resemble that remark!! :shock: :mrgreen:

Best of luck to ya, for sure! I don't know yet if we'll be cooking at the AR, but I'm sure we might be able to run up on Saturday for a visit. You know, Sweet T has experience with turn in boxes..... :wink:

Competition Sausage Question...

The Royal is having a sausage competition and I'm curious... when they say "sausage", they're probably not refering to fatties are they? Or could I do some sort of a fatty mod to make it interesting? I signed up for it because they didn't charge extra but now I'm wondering if it is more along the lines of the stuffed skin type sausage you make up on your own. Can someone fill me in on this? Thanks!

RE: Competition Sausage Question...

I had the same thing at cometition 2 weeks ago. Did not really get any straight answers. I turned in a plain old maple fatty with nothing done to it and took 4th place out of 63 teams. Got me some cash out of it also. Go with a maple fatty. For right now it will be unique enough to be different. Not sure about a few years from now.

I saw a fatty when I was judging Art of Barbecue in Tulsa in June. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I sure liked it.

Cool! Maple fatties it is then! And you're right... I don't think most people know what it is. Of course I've gotten the weird looks when I've told people I smoke fatties! The maple ones absolutely rock... I'd be impressed if I was a judge! Thanks, guys!

Has anyone ever (might be a dumb question?) used plain old raw sausage meat, doctor it up with spices and drizzle some maple syrup on it before rolling into a fatty?

I just can`t get past using the mass produced pre rolled fatty mod.

Hell, mustard goes with sausage. Maybe a honey mustard version? I`ll be trying that one next burn.

Re: RE: Competition Sausage Question...

xczar said:
Has anyone ever (might be a dumb question?) used plain old raw sausage meat, doctor it up with spices and drizzle some maple syrup on it before rolling into a fatty?.

I did something like this once when I was stuffing peppers ofr the smoker. I had a lot of the meat left over, so I rolled it into a loaf like shape and put it in the smoker. Tasted okay, but thought I rolled it too tight.

RE: Re: RE: Competition Sausage Question...

BTW... I'm sure some of you have thought of it already (haven't seen recipes in awhile) but last time I did ABTs in my chili grill, I mixed together that new whipped garlic and spice cream cheese and a bit of the whipped onion and chive cream cheese and stirred in a finely chopped fatty section! Then stuffed the peppers! Awesome!

RE: Re: RE: Competition Sausage Question...

Moderator comment:

Gents: Keep it on topic or it goes bye-bye. :D

Made it barely under the gun for the Royal sign up. It looks like by Friday, they'll be full so if you're thinking about it... git r done! And also, not bad for a competition rookie, I've already gotten two sponsor companies today... one for $250 and another for $100. My wife is going to talk to her boss tomorrow about at least another $100. This could end up being pretty cheap for us! Sorry to boast but I'm pretty pumped about all this since it's my first contest!

Rubbing meat at competition

Forgive me, guys for asking a lot of questions but I'll have more more than likely as I go along towards Sept. 30.

Anyway, it just occured to me that since you cannot put any spices, etc. on your meat until after it has been checked by the competition meat inspector, obviously, it can't sit 12-24 hours with rub on it like I usually do. Are there any special things you would do prior to cooking differently than you would at home so that you can still get the benefit of having good flavor?

Also, I have never done it but I read somewhere that a guy put mustard/rub on for several hours then put a second coat of mustard/rub on right before he put it into the smoke so that bark turns out better. Is this something any of you competition cooks do? Just curious...

Thanks for sharing!

Jeff,
No problem--good question.

Normally, meat inspection is in the early AM (8 to 11 or so), so you can still get 8-12 hours of good time in the rub. Plenty of time.

As to a second coat--your call.
I often add some rub (normally sprinked on) just prior to cooking. Sometimes I don't if it is not handy or I am lazy.
Personal preference as far as I know.
Can't hurt.

You picked a "biggie" to start with--obviously the fun factor will be your reward.

Good Luck and keep the quesions coming--no problemo :lol:

TIM

Competing puts everyone on a level playing field when it comes to handling product. If it 8 to 12 hours is all you have you learn to adjust.

kapndsl said:
Jeff,
No problem--good question.

Normally, meat inspection is in the early AM (8 to 11 or so), so you can still get 8-12 hours of good time in the rub. Plenty of time.

As to a second coat--your call.
I often add some rub (normally sprinked on) just prior to cooking. Sometimes I don't if it is not handy or I am lazy.
Personal preference as far as I know.
Can't hurt.

You picked a "biggie" to start with--obviously the fun factor will be your reward.

Good Luck and keep the quesions coming--no problemo :lol:

TIM

OK so if I can't get there that early (they want all checked in before 4pm), I'm just going to lose that time in rub I suppose. It's looking more and more like I'll have to take the full day off! Cool! didn't want to work it anyway. Since I'll be cooking for the brass of my company for a sponsor dinner, maybe I can get away with taking off and not using a vacation day! :D

You know, it is a big'un to start out on and yes, the fun factor will be a good reward (along with the fact that you tell anyone around KC you're cooking in the Royal and they're instantly impressed! LOL!) but after reading NewsDay from New York and seeing them talk about lightning being able to strike anyone, who knows? If I just happen to pull my best efforts out of the smoker... 8)

Thanks for the answers, guys...

Back