MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default VA BBQ Used to be Sold in Texas and other States Because of Demand

There was a time in this country that when someone thought of BBQ they thought of Virginia.

Here is an ad from a place in El Paso, TX that leveraged that image and used to sell "Old Virginia BBQ." The El Paso Herald, July 18, 1914. At the turn of the 20th century, Texas was just beginning their BBQ tradition. VA BBQ had already been legend in our country for about 300 years.

Virginia BBQ cooks, stop hanging your heads! VA has a rich BBQ tradition. I will do my part to bring it to light. Here is only a glimpse of what I have dug up in my labor of love.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
BBQ_Steve
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Love it! I am a native Virginian (Richmond) who loves living in Texas. However, I will always love my Virginia BBQ. I have convinced numerous Texans to eat their pulled pork sandwich the proper way. With coleslaw on it!

Weber Performer
Oklahoma Joe Offset
Masterbuilt 40
BBQ_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_Steve View Post
Love it! I am a native Virginian (Richmond) who loves living in Texas. However, I will always love my Virginia BBQ. I have convinced numerous Texans to eat their pulled pork sandwich the proper way. With coleslaw on it!
Nice! I taught that to a Texan about 2 weeks ago.They loved it.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

WOW! The old Herald Post. That newpaper doesn't exist anymore. That address pulls up in Fabens, TX which is in our outskirts. Now I see it's chile con carne. The Mexican version of Texas Chili. That is too cool. Have you come up with any other info on the name, E. Scott?
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 12-28-2012 at 05:50 PM..
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

Phone # 4854.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Cool, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

But it was El Paso.....
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
WOW! The old Herald Post. That newpaper doesn't exist anymore. That address pulls up in Fabens, TX which is in our outskirts. Now I see it's chile con carne. The Mexican version of Texas Chili. That is too cool. Have you come up with any other info on the name, E. Scott?
I haven't followed up on it. I did followup on a place in Richmond, VA that sold BBQ back in 1885 and found a "Visitor's Guide to Richmond, VA" from around 1885 which was like a time machine. The street names have changed so much and the old visitor guide had a map in it so I was able to figure out the modern names for the streets.

I haven't found anything like that for El Paso.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
But it was El Paso.....
He he! Yeah, but it's still Texas BBQ. I have more great info on El Paso BBQ but it will have to wait for another time to be revealed.

The "market" style of TX BBQ was created at around the turn of the 20th century and was influenced by the same cultures as VA BBQ. In fact, I grew up on "Spotswood Furnace Road" which was a road that led to an iron furnace run by German and Eastern European settlers here in VA just like what you find in Central Texas. About 10 miles west of me is "Germanna" which was a settlement of German immigrants that worked in the iron ore mines.

Central Texas BBQ and Old VA BBQ share a lot of the same roots. The difference is the African American, Native American, English, and West Indies influence that was brought to bear on VA BBQ. But, those other influences were mostly seasoning and not cooking technique.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Boshizzle

Genealogical and Historical Notes on Culpeper County, Virginia. I grew up in Spotsylvania County, VA.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Very Cool!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Awesome, even for a Virginian!

;-)
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Awesome, even for a Virginian!

;-)

He he he! Thanks, bro!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Very Cool!
Thanks, bro. BTW - Louisiana has a rich BBQ history too!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice... have visited the '64 Spotsylvania battlefield... very nice. Jackson died near there in the summer of '63, if I remember correctly.