• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

contest announcement Southern Krunk BBQ Festivis Hot Springs, AR

Southern Krunk BBQ Societ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hope some of the Bretheren can join us for the Southern Krunk BBQ Festivis at the Historic Downtown Farmer's Market in Hot Springs, AR on Jan 26, 2013. IBCA certified State Championship, qualifier for the Royal and the Jack! Is ya' krunk enough! :thumb:

Yep...goona be cold but at least the horses will be running that weekend. And yes, we'll be outside, but looks to be at a nice site and close to the Arlington Hotel. We're signed up and ready to start off 2013 on a fun note.

IBCA turn in's are a 1/2 chicken fully jointed, brisket is the flat only, pork must be pulled, and ribs must be spare's. Turn in's are over foil. There is an hour between turn in's. Judges use a plastic knife and fork, so pay attention to tenderness (i.e. most ribs considered great for kcbs are likely a little underdone for kcbs.) Some spaces have partial coverage. Average temp is a little chilly, but it is Arkansas, so who knows! Hope that helps.

Jointed?

I am unfamiliar with ICBA, so forgive the dumb question, but what exactly does "jointed" mean? Joints in tact, or cuts made at the joints to make it easy to separate?

"1/2 chicken fully jointed"

Thanks

Eric

Jointed means you half to turn in the 1/2 chicken in one piece, not cut up. You can cook it whole then cut it in half or cut it in half then cook it. Turn in a whole 1/2 chicken kinda like that idiot did on pitmasters last year!

What's the temperature like in those parts in late January?

It can really vary. Likely in the 30's at night, 50's during the day on average, has been a little warmer so far this year. We get maybe one good snow every 5 years, ice about every 6. We will give refunds to teams that can't make it on account of weather if that helps....

I'm getting ready to sign up but I have a couple of questions first. I will be leaving out of Branson, MO and will not be able to get away from work until around 2. This will optimistically place me in Hot Springs at 6. I have never done an IBCA contest and given my time of arrival, I will probably not make the cooks meeting. On to my questions.

I have read where the meeting is absolutely mandatory. Is this true?
If not, will someone take a few minutes to give me the abridged addition so I don't make a stupid rookie IBCA mistake?
What are the turn in times at an IBCA contest?

Thanks in advance!

gettinbasted, you might want to check out the IBCA rules at http://www.ibcabbq.org - it's not heavy reading, there are only 15. Turn-in times are usually an hour apart, but it all depends upon the size of the contest. In general, contests either don't post the turn-in times or provide the disclaimer that they are subject to change depending on the number of teams in the contest - you'll find out more at the cooks meeting or from your head judge. I can't speak for exactly how they do things in the AR Pit, but you might want to contact the organizer or look at the .pdf for info about the contest - the .pdf is at http://www.ibcabbq.org/flyers2013/hotsprings.pdf

Lynn H.

I get most of the rules, I like it, and love to cook a IBCA, but I do have a couple questions,,

can you use pulled chicken as a base, and will it be judged too?
how do you guys cook brisket? with the point on?, and turn it in with the point?
Last question, is pellet cooking allowed?

I probably have more questions, and I think I want to cook this one, just for the difference of cooking styles.

I get most of the rules, I like it, and love to cook a IBCA, but I do have a couple questions,,

can you use pulled chicken as a base, and will it be judged too?
how do you guys cook brisket? with the point on?, and turn it in with the point?
Last question, is pellet cooking allowed?

I probably have more questions, and I think I want to cook this one, just for the difference of cooking styles.
Mike-
The ONLY thing allowed in your turn-in box for an IBCA contest (other than the product) is a piece of foil. NO PULLED CHICKEN - as the rule state, "one half (1/2) fully jointed domestic chicken with skin that includes a breast, wing with tip, thigh, and drumstick." - if you put pulled chicken in, I don't think your box will ever make it to the judging table - you will be asked to remove it. The goal is to have all the boxes look the same to the judges.

Generally, for brisket, all you need is the flat - 7 slices are all that are allowed in the turn-in box with the foil (9 slices in larger comps). NO BURNT ENDS TURNED IN!!! If you want to make them for yourself or the other cookers around you, that's up to you, but they're not part of your turn-in.

Pellet cookers are fine - just as long as there's no sharing of heat sources. You might want to look at the IBCA rules at http://www.ibcabbq.org/rules.html for clarification.

Lynn H.

Back