MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #151
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_NorCal View Post
What is the purpose of the oil in the initial step?
Given that the rub's main ingredients are water-soluble (sugar, salt), and a quick 1hr marinade was used, I would think something partially or entirely water-based would be appropriate.
Good question. There are a couple of reasons.
  • The oil helps lubricate the chicken skin, and helps keep the meat from sticking on the grill.
  • It also helps the skin to get crispy under high heat
  • And finally (and most importantly), while salt and sugar are water soluable, many of our other ingredients are actually more fat soluable than water soluable. So the oil helps carry the chile's and other spices' volitile oils to the meat.

The one hour quick marinade time was just a baseline. We've done this very successfully with up to 24 hours of fridge time.

Check out RedHot's post, she went 3 days on her oil marinade and you can actually see the meat's absorbed some of the chile oils in her closeup "bite" shot...

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #152
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmike View Post
Good question. There are a couple of reasons.
  • The oil helps lubricate the chicken skin, and helps keep the meat from sticking on the grill.
  • It also helps the skin to get crispy under high heat
  • And finally (and most importantly), while salt and sugar are water soluable, many of our other ingredients are actually more fat soluable than water soluable. So the oil helps carry the chile's and other spices' volitile oils to the meat.
The one hour quick marinade time was just a baseline. We've done this very successfully with up to 24 hours of fridge time.

Check out RedHot's post, she went 3 days on her oil marinade and you can actually see the meat's absorbed some of the chile oils in her closeup "bite" shot...
Which made them absolutely awesome by the way...

Oh, and we got our other two pouches today too. Thanks Mike!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #153
Smokin Ribs
is one Smokin' Farker

Smile

Got mine today. # 130 of 150 and did the fingertip taste. Man, hot but good. Cant wait to make wings saturday.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #154
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Here's my initial impression:

OK, here's my initial impression of tasting straight out of the bag by fingertip method. An initial burst of citrus zest and celery were prominent immediately, swiftly followed by the sweet and salt which seemed equal in strength. Then the heat hit and took over but not as strong as I thought it would be. After about 5 seconds I did detect what some may consider a bitterness but it was slight to me and not unpleasent at all (I like bitter I might add). After 10 seconds the after taste was quite good with more of the heat and sweet pronounced than anything else. I can definitely use this as a stand alone - probably better for beef, and as a mix with something like Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction. It will be useful added to recipes as well.

I definitely do not regret getting four pouches.
This is a spot on description of the taste outta the pouch IMHO. My initial thought was celery salt, followed by sweet...and then a building warmth. The heat kinda builds steadily.

Made a rub butter with some Death Dust today (topped my tri-tip dinner with it). Tasting it with the butter...the sweet was way more pronounced. The citrus/celery element seemed lessened...but the wonderful, building, warmth was still there for sure.

Its good stuff. Ordered a couple more today (hopefully they're not all gone)...gotta get some more before they are.
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #155
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

I went too hot on the first batch and didn't have time to make 2 batches so my wife could eat them as well. So I marinaded them in secret weapon and dusted with HDD this time. They had amazing flavor and just a little bite. My wife liked them more than the last batch I made her with no spice. These were not as spicey as I would like but was a great experiment. It's fun to try new things and work towards what's optimal for you. I also got bag 150/150 today that I requested muhahaha!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #156
Smokin Ribs
is one Smokin' Farker

WOW! That was some good chit.. I took chicken breast strips, rubbed with evoo and death dust. It was the perfect blend of heat n sweet. Cant wait to try on wings saturday.. Good job Mike and the Oakridge BBQ gang!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #157
Sillius Sodus
On the road to being a farker

Got my two bags yesterday...and made some awesome tasting wings!

A view of this new stuff that I haven't seen posted yet:

And the reverse side of my two bags:

Yep, you saw that right!

Thanks Mike for the most awesome dust!
Sillius Sodus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #158
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

On my 2nd batch of HDD wings this weekend!!
Just amazing!! I'm hooked on these things!!
I have done a couple of things different. I will try to talk about that in more detail later.
Happy Labor Day brethren!!

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #159
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

I have a couple dozen wings thawing and a quick search provided this recipe. The wings look AMAZING. For a weeknight cook, I'd rather do these on my gasser, pretty sure that's doable for the low temp and the high temp sear. Might throw a cherry chip smoke bomb on the burner during the first hour.

My concern is the heat level. We like spicy. Slap Yo Mama (Spicy, not the regular) is used on almost everything (sprinkled it on my sandwich for lunch). We use Habanero's in the jar when I make Maru's pickles. Jalapeno's (raw and cooked) are regularly part of our meals.

I have the HDD, have done the pinch on the tongue, seems ok (as in not too hot). Just haven't marinated something in it before. So, how hot are these? Might want to do half this way and the other half another way in case they get ridiculous hot.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #160
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
My concern is the heat level.
Others can chime in but don't let it fool you. It definitely packs a punch. Awesome rub. The first night I made them, I ate one wing. The heat mellowed out a bit overnight and the next day I was able to eat 2 at a time. Darn good though. It's sort of a slow burn that intensifies.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #161
SD_Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

I LOVE the death dust....I put it on every piece of chicken I make!

Old 10-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #162
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfinger View Post
Happy Labor Day brethren!!
Just saw this post from May 25...

Merry Christmas to you and yours

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #163
THoey1963

Ok, think I'll make 50-50...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].

Old 10-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #164
SmokeHouse Blues
Full Fledged Farker

If the Habanero Death Dust is anything like your other products, it's a winner, but probably a little on the hot side for my digestive tract these days.........

Old 10-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #165
THoey1963

So, I did a dozen wings this way. Olive oil and 2 TBS HDD. Let them marinate for about an hour. I sprinkled a couple pinches worth on after I pulled it from the marinade, but left it at that. The other dozen I did with lemon juice, pepper, and salt. Grilled them as mentioned on my gasser. They did come out really nice. Cooked through, crispy skin. I probably could have used more HDD. They had heat, but weren't too hot. Could taste the salt and the celery. We both detected the sweet too.

I'll make these again, but go a little heavier on the HDD. Thanks for the recipe and the HDD! Great product.

Tags
habanero death dust, hot wings, oakridge bbq, smoked, WSM