MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #76
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

This does point up the one problem with making sauces and not using the rubs designed for use with them. A lot of folks develop sauces to work with their rubs. Still, this looks good. A sweet sauce always has a use.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #77
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Well done. I think it's cool that you guys get Hunts and Heinz and Lee & Perrins and
etc. down unda. Curious, looking at a globe, are you guys upside down? <-- guess
this is probably inviting a 5/10 or worse... :-)
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #78
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
This does point up the one problem with making sauces and not using the rubs designed for use with them. A lot of folks develop sauces to work with their rubs. Still, this looks good. A sweet sauce always has a use.
This is definitely the case with mine. I mean, the sauce is still ok, but
we developed the sauce using a few sauce tasting parties at the house
with one particular rub.

Infernooo, our rub is basically peppers, black, white (not much), chili
peppers (a good chili powder will do), paprika, a little cajun seasoning
as they tend to be salty, some ground chipotle if you have any. Also,
we use a little (because it can get salty too) Caribbean BBQ seasoning,
which if you cant find any try a small amount of a Jerk seasoning; they're
similar.... No sugars; the sauce is PLENTY sweet. It's thin on purpose
so as not to over-power, which is EASILY done.

We use either of two injections on pork. The easiest to duplicate will be
apple juice and worchestershire sauce with the rub (above) in it. Beef
we inject Butchers. Chicken and ribs are marinated (after inspection)
in apple juice, worchestershire, thinned with ice water.

Oh, on the sauce, I pretty much just heat it up to be able to get the
grape jelly to mix in and thin out (using a wisk to mix). Then, off heat.
Dont keep on long enough to reduce and thicken...

... now I'm all worried ...

Old 02-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #79
Lake Dogs

Infernooooo, I'm looking back at my recipe. It's all correct, EXCEPT I put
worchestershire in by hand (not measuring). Thinking, 6oz is actually 3/4ths of
a cup, right? NO WAY I put that much in. It's a decent amount, but probably 1/3rd
of a cup, say 2 ounces, perhaps 3 ounces. NOT 6.

Dain Bramage....

Old 02-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #80
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Maybe he will give the winner an all expense paid trip to Austrailia
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #81
infernooo
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66
Nicely done, infernooo
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc
The first 2 tested did not use rubs, so they are safe ;) as for the rest, I plan on using the exact specified rubs (I have a huge collection of rubs and sauces), and if not, then one as close as possible as specified by the contestant ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Well done. I think it's cool that you guys get Hunts and Heinz and Lee & Perrins and
etc. down unda. Curious, looking at a globe, are you guys upside down? <-- guess
this is probably inviting a 5/10 or worse... :-)
Thank you Sir! We actually don't get Hunts, and our Heinz ketchup and Lee & Perrins is slightly different (they use cane sugar, not HFCS - not that I have an issue with HFCS, just letting everyone know the difference in the AU vs US product), but I order a LOT of groceries from the US, which is how I get all of the same brands that the folks on here use.

Everything is upside down and reversed... we ride Kangaroos around the city and venomous snakes frequent our trains and buses. (p.s. just kidding, the chances of seeing a kangaroo anywhere but bush territory is as likely as you guys seeing Beavers running around Times Square)

Quote:
This is definitely the case with mine. I mean, the sauce is still ok, but
we developed the sauce using a few sauce tasting parties at the house
with one particular rub.

Infernooo, our rub is basically peppers, black, white (not much), chili
peppers (a good chili powder will do), paprika, a little cajun seasoning
as they tend to be salty, some ground chipotle if you have any. Also,
we use a little (because it can get salty too) Caribbean BBQ seasoning,
which if you cant find any try a small amount of a Jerk seasoning; they're
similar.... No sugars; the sauce is PLENTY sweet. It's thin on purpose
so as not to over-power, which is EASILY done.

We use either of two injections on pork. The easiest to duplicate will be
apple juice and worchestershire sauce with the rub (above) in it. Beef
we inject Butchers. Chicken and ribs are marinated (after inspection)
in apple juice, worchestershire, thinned with ice water.

Oh, on the sauce, I pretty much just heat it up to be able to get the
grape jelly to mix in and thin out (using a wisk to mix). Then, off heat.
Dont keep on long enough to reduce and thicken...

... now I'm all worried ...

Thank you for the pointers, will keep them in mind ;)

Quote:
Infernooooo, I'm looking back at my recipe. It's all correct, EXCEPT I put
worchestershire in by hand (not measuring). Thinking, 6oz is actually 3/4ths of
a cup, right? NO WAY I put that much in. It's a decent amount, but probably 1/3rd
of a cup, say 2 ounces, perhaps 3 ounces. NOT 6.

Dain Bramage....
No problem Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
Maybe he will give the winner an all expense paid trip to Austrailia
Haha, if only I could afford that!
infernooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #82
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Depends on what type of beavers you are looking for in Times Square
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #83
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernooo View Post
On to the second entry!

Thanks goes to Mister Bob for his entry of "Blue Ribbon BBQ Sauce".

Ratings:

Appearance: 8/10 A great looking sauce - lovely colour due to the preserves, brown sugar and wooster sauce as well as a lovely consistency and gloss due to the honey.

Consistency: 7/10 Quite thick, but definitely clings well to the meat. Also thick enough for dipping if one were so inclined ;)

Taste: 6/10

Versatility: 6/10 I did not find this went particularly well wtih brisket. After the modifications, I found that it went VERY nicely with both ribs and chicken thighs which I had smoked and glazed with the sauce. A bit too thick for pulled pork (though it could be thinned out with some water or vinegar), and the flavours did not seem to marry well wtih the bark of the pulled pork, but this could have been due to the rub used.

Overall Rating: 6/10. After some modifications, this recipe definitely has potential, especially as a sauce for ribs. The fruitiness of the preserves and glossiness provided by the honey make it great for glazing and slathering, I just felt it needed a bit more kick and a touch more sourness to stand up to the sweetness of the other ingredients.

Next up, Lake Dogs!

Infernoo, your review was very thorough and you made some excellent observations. You also started this exercise by admitting it would be a subjective judgment, and that it also was.

Not everyone likes sweet sauce (and not everyone likes tangy sauce or hot sauce or spicy sauce or vinegar sauce or mustard sauce or white sauce...) You thought it was too sweet, and sweet it is, but it's not nearly as sweet as Blues Hog Original for instance (which is winning a lot of comps these days). I did primarily use that sauce for ribs, so you got that part right on!

I also agree that it's too thick to use with pulled pork, and if and when when I used it for that, I thinned it with apple juice and apple cider vinegar mix.

I would NEVER use that sauce on brisket so you made a very good call there too. I rarely use sauce on brisket at all, and when I do it's definitely not a sweet one.

It is good on chicken, especially if you let it burn just a little!

I think your reviews would be better if you rated each sauce on ribs, pork, brisket and chicken separately. IMHO there is no such thing as a universal sauce for all four. It would be like a Swiss Army knife that can do several things, but none as well as the tool that's really designed to do it!

I still think you're doing a good thing and I will continue to follow this thread!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #84
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bob View Post
Infernoo, your review was very thorough and you made some excellent observations. You also started this exercise by admitting it would be a subjective judgment, and that it also was.

Not everyone likes sweet sauce (and not everyone likes tangy sauce or hot sauce or spicy sauce or vinegar sauce or mustard sauce or white sauce...) You thought it was too sweet, and sweet it is, but it's not nearly as sweet as Blues Hog Original for instance (which is winning a lot of comps these days). I did primarily use that sauce for ribs, so you got that part right on!

I also agree that it's too thick to use with pulled pork, and if and when when I used it for that, I thinned it with apple juice and apple cider vinegar mix.

I would NEVER use that sauce on brisket so you made a very good call there too. I rarely use sauce on brisket at all, and when I do it's definitely not a sweet one.

I think your reviews would be better if you rated each sauce on ribs, pork, brisket and chicken separately. IMHO there is no such thing as a universal sauce for all four. It would be like a Swiss Army knife that can do several things, but none as well as the tool that's really designed to do it!

I still think you're doing a good thing and I will continue to follow this thread!
great thread I will follow
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #85
infernooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bob View Post

Sorry, admittedly I could have been more clear, but I AM testing each of the sauces on different meats (brisket, ribs, pulled pork and chicken).

Whilst I was hoping for a universal sauce, if the sauce rocks my world on ANY of those 4 test meats, it will get a very high score.

For example, someone may post a recipe that only workscwell with ribs. I may not like it on beef, chicken or pulled pork, but if I take a bite of ribs using that sauce and it blows my mind, that sauce will get a top mark. In other words, the sauce has to be VERY good on one of the big 4.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #86
justjack
Permanently Banned

Well I'm impressed mate, comprehensive reviews and you're making good headway already. I tips me lid, and look forward to reading more.

Thanks for this excellent and informative thread.
justjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2011, 01:34 AM   #87
wildcat89

Here's one that I have used in the past.

Bourbon Basting Sauce

This recipe is good for ~ 10 lbs of ribs. It does keep in the fridge in an air tight container.

Ingredients:
2 Tbs.
oil
1.5 Cup
Finely chopped onion
6 Ea
Cloves of garlic (pressed or chopped fine)
¾ Cup
Bourbon
1.5 Cup
Water
¾ Cup
Teriyaki baste and glaze
¾ Cup
Frozen Pineapple Juice
6 Tbs.
Lemon Juice
3 Cups
Brown sugar

Directions:
1. Heat the oil, add onion and garlic; cook until onion starts to soften.
2. Add 1 Tbs. of bourbon, reduce heat to low; cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until the onion is tender.
3. Add all remaining ingredients except the bourbon; mix well, increase heat to medium and bring mixture to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 20 to 30 minutes, stir frequently, it should have the consistency of a thick syrup.
5. Remove from heat, stir in remaining bourbon; let set.
6. Prepare ribs as desired and brush on at the end.
wildcat89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2011, 02:29 AM   #88
altomari8868

Any chance of a photo of the finished sauce
altomari8868 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #89
Lake Dogs

To our Aussue brethren, I'm curious. Our globes (here north of the equator) always
have America, Europe, etc. "up" and down would be South America, Africa, Australia,
etc.

Globes, in your part of the world, are they reversed from ours? Meaning, are South
America, Africa, Australia "up"?

I guess I live in our "out back". We have deer come through the yard most every
day/night. We'll get an occasional fox now & again. Lots of beaver, especially
when the UGA cheerleaders used to come spend the weekends with us (LONG story).
Yes, lots of snakes too.

Infernoooo, I'm thinkin' about 'ya, mate. Cheers, best of luck. I have Fosters chillin'
in the fridge; will drink these watching the Super Bowl...

Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #90
infernooo

Quote:
To our Aussue brethren, I'm curious. Our globes (here north of the equator) always
have America, Europe, etc. "up" and down would be South America, Africa, Australia,
etc.

Globes, in your part of the world, are they reversed from ours? Meaning, are South
America, Africa, Australia "up"?

I guess I live in our "out back". We have deer come through the yard most every
day/night. We'll get an occasional fox now & again. Lots of beaver, especially
when the UGA cheerleaders used to come spend the weekends with us (LONG story).
Yes, lots of snakes too.

Infernoooo, I'm thinkin' about 'ya, mate. Cheers, best of luck. I have Fosters chillin'
in the fridge; will drink these watching the Super Bowl...
Haha, no Sir, our globes are the same ;) I suppose due to the position of the Earth in relation to the sun and rotation on its axis as well as Nth/Sth pole etc ;)

Your sauce is being made today by the way!