couple butts on the UDS

B

Barbarian

Smoked a couple butts yesterday. Boy were they pesky, I guess they liked the smoker cause one took 10 hours and the other wanted to stay on another hour before getting up to temp. Most of the time I do two butts on the drum they want off after 8 or 9 hours. Oh well, no matter they turned out gooooood!!!!

Added a little Tennessee Red for the sammiches and topped with Blues Hog. I love my wife's tater salad to.

Attachments

• DSC03699.jpg
    DSC03699.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC03708.jpg
    DSC03708.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC03710.jpg
    DSC03710.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC03717_2.jpg
    DSC03717_2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 227
Looks Delicious. I'm Drooling. What sizes butt do you use ?

Looks good Bro! What temps do you run in the drum to get your butts off in 9 hours or so?

Those two were around 9lbs each bone-in
I cooked them at 250 (which is where this drum likes to sit) and that is about where I cook them most of the time. I guess the drum or the butts just didn't want to cook as fast this time, lol.

Looks great! I keep reading about Blue's Hog, but have never tried it. Is it made by a brethren? Just curious. I'd love to be able to buy something that that locally, it's so damn expensive to ship those kinds of things.

How big were those butts? Look like about 8 pounders?

I usually do mine at 225, and I've yet to pull any in less than 12 hours. I try to pull between 195-200, then wrap and let them rest for an hour. What does 250 do to the tenderness?

Otis, they were about 9lbs each and 250 does not hurt the tenderness or the juicyness. I pulled at 195 after feeling the bone was nice and loose. They pulled/shredded just fine.

Next time I am gonna do an overnight cook. I never tried that with my first drum, I could not trust the temps. But this one likes to sit at 250 for hours. So instead of starting at 6am and finishing at 10pm, I am gonna start at 9pm and finish around noon. By starting I mean the fire and the butt foreplay, by finishing I mean having the butt pulled and ready to eat.

Looks great! I keep reading about Blue's Hog, but have never tried it. Is it made by a brethren? Just curious. I'd love to be able to buy something that that locally, it's so damn expensive to ship those kinds of things.
I get it from the KC bbq store, they have very reasonable rates. I order by the gallon and have one on my refrigerator door at all times.

Back