MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Default A 6 mile walk in NYC for RUB BBQ

I was in Manhattan this afternoon for a doctor appointment uptown on 98th & Madison at Mt Sinai. After the appointment, I decided to walk part of the way back to Penn Station for the train on 33rd & 7th to cut down on the taxi cost ( I hate the subways).

It was a nice day so after I passed Central Park, instead of catching a taxi cab to Penn Station, I challenged myself to walk all the way to RUB BBQ for dinner... No small feat considering it's about 6 miles away, it's 5PM and the streets of NYC are insane as everyone is just getting out of work.The total walk took 1.5 hrs but I made it... I considered stopping at Virgil's BBQ in midtown but knew the quality at RUB was worth the effort to complete the walk.

For my efforts, I treated myself to a bowl of chili & brisket sandwich on white bread and a sweet tea.. After meal was done I then walked 10 more blocks back to Penn to catch the train. My feet hurt !!!!

Chili was excellent... Tons of smoky brisket, good flavor broth.. There are two types beans in the chili... I did find it a bit salty but not enough to make me dislike it as all the other components were excellent. Brisket sandwich was top notch.. As good as my visit last month.. Very moist, very flavorful, perfect smoke etc.

I thought I was going to see Matt (backyardchef) but I did not see him and when I asked for him, the hostess seemed a bit odd in her response so I did not pursue again.

Sorry for the poor pics.. taken with my outdated camera phone.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 01-02-2010 at 07:50 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Maybe the pictures from the phone are fuzzy cause the lens has some blue water from a port-a-potty on it.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Maybe the pictures from the phone are fuzzy cause the lens has some blue water from a port-a-potty on it.

I guess I have a chitty phone.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good to hear RUB BBQ is worth a 6 mile walk-judging from your previous review it sounds like they have it going on!
Now then-did you walk it all off on your way back to Penn Station?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #5
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice hike Vinny and the fuzzy pics still look good to me.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

WOW! I was there yesterday, too! I stopped in around 4:15 for an hour. Met with the co-owner, Julia and we chatted for a while at the bar. Really nice woman. Matt was not working yesterday and I was not able to get a tour due to the dinner rush prep.

Went there specifically for the pastrami and the burnt ends and they were SOLD OUT!! Dang.

Had the cubed bacon and a 1/4lb of brisket. Bacon was really tasty. Brisket was good but not tender.

Can't wait to get back and try the pastrami and ends.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

The pastrami is real good and something you have to try at least once but I dont think it anywhere near as good as Katz. Make sure when you go back to get burnt endz,
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Old 05-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Pigtrip
Knows what a fatty is.

Another great report, and a fuzzy photo of RUB beats a clear one of most other barbecue. I once walked from Southern Hospitality to RUB and I haven't been the same since. I agree with Big Barry that Julia is a sweetie and with Sledneck that the burnt ends are a MUST if they have 'em. Pastrami is at its best on the Reuben Crusher-- a sandwich I like to split four ways with a group.
1 Weber kettle grill
2 Weber Smoky Mountain Cookers (bullet)
1 Big Green Egg (large)
Pigtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
Junttan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Can any one give me the address for Rub BBq
Thanks
Old 05-19-2009, 01:46 AM   #10
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

208 West 23rd Street New York, NY 10011 located between 7th & 8th Avenues

http://www.rubbbq.net/