Marinate or not

M

mcksr

I will be smoking my first Brisket this weekend on a newly built UDS, and I have read many recipies for preparing the meat. Some say marinate and some say no marinate. The majority say mustard and then dry rub. Are there any suggestions from the brethren?

North Florida Smoker
Mike

i like to marinate for a few hours, overnite if possible in italian dressing, worstershire, and teriyaki, kinda like a steakhouse marinade, doesnt over power, but definitely gives a little bite, after you marinate it, the rub will just adhere to the meat better.....2 pennies

I rub and wrap in plastic and let it set in the frig overnite and put it in the smoker and let it go at approx. 270 until probe done..

Mike, We did the same thing a few weeks back (first runs with Brisket). We didnt
marinade either. Same rub on both, one with injection, the other without. I cooked
them next to one another, fat up. 5 hours smoke; 5 hours foiled. On my Lang 60
(UDS probably different results). Surface stayed dialed in pretty much at 250.

Both out looked and smelled pretty good. Both sliced pretty much the same. The
un-injected one tasted VERY good, however...... The injected one didn't make it
off of the slicing table. We snarfed it. It was EXTREMELY good. Both were moist,
but the injected one was slightly more moist.

Being a GA fool, I'm now converted; my preference in BBQ is BRISKET. DAMN this
stuff is GOOOOOOOOOOOD.

First b risket?
I'd advise the KISS method....
Salt n pepper & smoke.
Marinades don't work, mustard don't belong on brisket.
Good luck!

First b risket?
I'd advise the KISS method....
Salt n pepper & smoke.
Marinades don't work, mustard don't belong on brisket.
Good luck!

AMEN all this injecting and saucing brisket is for wienies.:biggrin: Lets taste the meat the way it was meant.

I just tried the salt and pepper thing(with a little cayenne), and taste wise it was one of the best briskets I've done....I'll be doing that again..many times!

firecrackerjack

around here folks put mustard on and then rub on tri tips. so i did that on my briskets. we liked it. then the last one i did i did not put mustard on. it was still great but my wife said that there wasn't as much crust/bark. also the so called smoke ring was less. yer choice really.

I do a dry rub, nothing more. The last and best one was salt and pepper, a la Dirty Dalmation with a little pork rub first.

Back