MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #31
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
i seem to be lost, isnt the akorn a kamado cooker so therefore it is ceramic?
The shell of the Akorn is made of inner and outter steel walls with insulation sandwiched between, more like a Bubba Keg, so not ceramic the way BGE / Kamado Joe / Primo / etc. are.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress

Last edited by Foxfire; 01-11-2013 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: clarity
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #32
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Since $ is a concern, get the Akorn. Based on the number of satisfied owners, it seems like the right choice at this time. Since you already have a OTG and a WSM, is there a particular reason you want a kamado style cooker?
Fair question. I'm looking for something that will do a pizza like I like 'em. That and I'm consumed with the BBQ obsession and need a new toy.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #33
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddM View Post
Fair question. I'm looking for something that will do a pizza like I like 'em. That and I'm consumed with the BBQ obsession and need a new toy.
I think you'd like it. Here are some Akorn pizzas:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg akornpizza.jpg (93.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg akornpizzadeux.jpg (86.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg akornpizzatres.jpg (91.5 KB, 80 views)

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #34
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
Tax season is coming up.
You're talkin' my language there.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #35
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
I'm happy with my Akorn, have cooked tons of good food on it, and don't feel like I "settled" for anything-it's a great cooker, don't see how I would be any happier with a ceramic. As a matter of fact, I would rather have the Akorn because it's portable. I've cooked on the green cult cooker, and I just don't honestly see much difference. As for the "mods" everybody talks about, I've been using mine nearly a year just exactly like it came out of the box, and it holds temp for hours and hours like an oven. I don't see what the alleged leak and not holding temp problems are myself, because I've never experienced any of them?

But then, I'm not a snob, either. Some folks just can't seem to like something no matter how well it functions, unless it's really expensive and hip and all the cool kids like it. I don't have to have a ferrari to drive to work, and I don't have to have a $1000 grill to cook good food on.

I think people sometimes put more emphasis on the cooker than the cook, or define themselves by what cooker they own. If you're a good cook, you can turn out good food on anything from a campfire to a top-of-the-line cooker. The only difference in most cases is learning curve and ease of operation. I love my Akorn for long cooks, simply because I can set it and forget it. I usually dont adjust vents more than maybe a couple small adjustments during an 8-10 hour cook. To me, that's the advantage of any kamado style cooker, along with the ability to use it like a wood-fired oven to bake pizzas and stuff. I don't use mine much for high-heat grilling, it's easier and better to do that on my barrel grill, IMO.
Well said. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #36
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

A couple of Kamado's in the LA area...
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...526812417.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...535216090.html

Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #37
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate it. I'm leaning towards getting the Akorn now and saving for down the road. We'll see. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #38
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddM View Post
Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate it. I'm leaning towards getting the Akorn now and saving for down the road. We'll see. I'll keep ya'll posted.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #39
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
The shell of the Akorn is made of inner and outter steel walls with insulation sandwiched between, more like a Bubba Keg, so not ceramic the way BGE / Kamado Joe / Primo / etc. are.
interesting way to do it i guess. if it works it works. haha. SO im guessing a ceramic will hold the heat longer?