MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Need Help from the Brethren...Stumps Clone or Backwoods Spicewine Clone Build?? W/ PRON

Okay so I'm picking up this commercial freezer/refrigerator this weekend. I found it on ebay and offered the guy $150 and he accepted....Score! My wife just loves all my new toys and bargain hunting . Pics below.

Originally I was going to build a Stumps clone from scratch..but since I can't weld I thought I would get a jump start and use a commercial freezer. The interior smoking cooking chamber will be
22" wide x 27" deep x 51" high. I'm now debating on whether or not I should go with a Stumps clone or a backwoods/spicewine clone. My thoughts on the backwoods/spicewine build is that I could probably get the cooker up and running faster since I will really just need to make a charcoal basket, and a water/drip pan. With the stumps clone I would need to make the charcoal chute and attach it to the main cook chamber. I like the gravity fed charcoal chute and the effeciency of the stumps.

So my question to the brethren is which way would you go? What are the pros and cons of either smoker? All help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Commercial_Fridge2.jpg (30.0 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg Commercial_Fridge.jpg (29.7 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg FR 002.jpg (36.6 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg FR 003.jpg (44.3 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg FR 005.jpg (45.8 KB, 248 views)
Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
deathamphetamine
is one Smokin' Farker

First things first. You will have to get it pumped down to remove the refridgerant.

dismantle and pull out the lines and compressor. Now your good to go.

I know this may get some flak, But a Bradley smoke generator and that would be a

killer cold smoker..... Awsome find. There is a lady here on kijiji That I have been

trying to get a SS food cart about 2/3 that size. She has not budged from 300 for

over a year, my last offer was 100, Again ....Good score!

Sorry no input on your question :(

Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
bbq54321
Knows what a fatty is.

I vote: Stumps!

kinda biased - but i'll never offer advice that would steer someone wrong

also, the awards that are won while using a stumps is quite impressive!

my classic is better than me!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

all three are good smokers. i'd suggest determining what YOU want in the long run and go from there. don't build the backwoods/spicewine clone if you really want a stumps clone and vice versa. one may be easier now, but you don't want to regret skipping a few steps now that will seem like no big deal later.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watertowerbbq View Post
all three are good smokers. i'd suggest determining what YOU want in the long run and go from there. don't build the backwoods/spicewine clone if you really want a stumps clone and vice versa. one may be easier now, but you don't want to regret skipping a few steps now that will seem like no big deal later.
Thanks that makes great sense. I really wanted a stumps clone to begin with...so I think I will go with my gut and my original plan. Now I have to start looking for charcoal chute materials.

Patrick

Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Might want to check the insulation behind the walls, theres a guy on youtube that made something similar, you might want to check the build out. I would go Stumps, but thats me. It'll never look shiney again.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the tips everyone. Stumps it is...anyone know where I can get some 8x8" steel tubing for the charcoal chute?

Patrick