MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #16
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

I entered not knowing what the payout was, after seeing the list of competitors, I reallty dont think I need to know. I looked around and couldnt find any info on $.
What does 13th place chicken get?

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #17
Rick's Tropical Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale P View Post
I entered not knowing what the payout was, after seeing the list of competitors, I reallty dont think I need to know. I looked around and couldnt find any info on $.
What does 13th place chicken get?
i'm just hoping to make all four turn-ins

Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #18
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Smoke View Post
We've got a grass site for you Neil. There will be someone there to direct you when you get there.
Thanks Brother!!

Not sure when I will be rolling in.
Do you know how many will be there Thursday yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulcer Acres View Post
How can this be? Most contest have a hard time this year even getting 15 teams and Kettering gets 36 and sells out. I can tell you, Jim has worked the contest and promoted it. I think the days of having a contest and people turning out for it with out promoting the contest are over. And Jim is good example of it. Even though he is a little slow at times. But the Rev has put the healing power on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
well, jim, he's right. you busted your ass to promote this contest during the $4 gas, economy, etc. and to have filled your field (in Ohio for gosh sakes ! Not a huge mecca for BBQ. ) is damn good work. I've always thought that after this year, it's only the strong who will survive to have another contest next year. Just shows that a contest doesn't have to have $50,000 to fill itself up. I think other organizers who couldn't fill their field to make their contest at least a qualifier ought to feel silly, because you proved it's possible the way things are these days.
Randy and Podge, you are correct that Jim has worked his ass off promoting this comp but you are missing something entirely. You wouldn't have a reason to know unless you were there last year or heard someone from last year tell you.

That is that Jim organized his comp with the cooks in mind and I can tell you that he understands comps from a cooks point of view and makes sure that the cooks are taken care of.

Last year it seemed like there was someone coming to our site every couple of hours to see if we needed ice or trash hauled away and asked if we needed anything else for that matter.

Also, the venue is really nice. It's a park like setting.
Not sure how it will be on the black top though.

I have no doubt that I will have just as good of a time this year as I did
last year, probably better.

I'm really looking forward to this Jim!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #19
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Z, I will be setting up Thursday night.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #20
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Z, I will be setting up Thursday night.
Cool, Not sure when I will be getting there but if I can make it
Thursday night, I know I will have good company!

Can't wait to see that MEGA Stumps!

How many cooks have you managed to do with it so far?

(None I hope!)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2008, 03:55 AM   #21
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
well, jim, he's right. you busted your ass to promote this contest during the $4 gas, economy, etc. and to have filled your field (in Ohio for gosh sakes ! Not a huge mecca for BBQ. ) is damn good work. I've always thought that after this year, it's only the strong who will survive to have another contest next year. Just shows that a contest doesn't have to have $50,000 to fill itself up. I think other organizers who couldn't fill their field to make their contest at least a qualifier ought to feel silly, because you proved it's possible the way things are these days.
Thanks Podge. It doesn't hurt having good friends either.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:51 AM   #22
Rick's Tropical Delight

i'll be there on thursday and i'll be cooking pulled pork pizzas

Old 07-03-2008, 05:54 AM   #23
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Congratulations Jim on filling the field and an extremely strong one at that!

I just checked your website and saw that the newest addition is Motley Q Crew. Will Guy Fieri be joining the team? Any word of the Food Network showing up?

Looking forward to it. We'll probably need to park on a hard service with the Jedmaster.
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100
7. Backwoods Smoker - Fatboy
8. Traeger Texas Grill (BBQ 075)
Double D's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #24
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBQ View Post
Cool, Not sure when I will be getting there but if I can make it
Thursday night, I know I will have good company!

Can't wait to see that MEGA Stumps!

How many cooks have you managed to do with it so far?

(None I hope!)

I've only cooked on it once so far, but I will have at least 2 if not 3 more cooks on it before the comp.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640

Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 AM   #25
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
I've only cooked on it once so far, but I will have at least 2 if not 3 more cooks on it before the comp.
Well, if the offer still stands, do you want to make one of those practice cooks at the park tomorrow?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 AM   #26
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBQ View Post
Thanks Brother!!

Randy and Podge, you are correct that Jim has worked his ass off promoting this comp but you are missing something entirely. You wouldn't have a reason to know unless you were there last year or heard someone from last year tell you.

That is that Jim organized his comp with the cooks in mind and I can tell you that he understands comps from a cooks point of view and makes sure that the cooks are taken care of.

Last year it seemed like there was someone coming to our site every couple of hours to see if we needed ice or trash hauled away and asked if we needed anything else for that matter.
Before going any further with this, it's necessary to say that while I have been the primary point of contact for most of you, the other half of the organizational effort is Jimmy Weaver of Jimmys Hog Pen. It is a total team effort with us, the American Legion and all of our sponsors and while it could probably be pulled off with one or two of the equations removed, it would have been a helluva lot harder.

I do appreciate you sticking up for me Neil but Randy, Podge and I have known each other for several years and although they were not at the Kettering contest last year, that doesn't mean they don't know how Jimmy and I do things. We are competition cooks as you say and we know how we like to be treated at contests. That thought is paramount in everything we do and based on the feedback we got last year, we feel like we're doing the right things. That being said, we appreciate all the support that the barbecue community has shown us and we will continue to do whatever we can to make you want to come back next year regardless of how much your scores might have sucked this year.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #27
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D's BBQ View Post
Congratulations Jim on filling the field and an extremely strong one at that!

I just checked your website and saw that the newest addition is Motley Q Crew. Will Guy Fieri be joining the team? Any word of the Food Network showing up?

Looking forward to it. We'll probably need to park on a hard service with the Jedmaster.
Thanks Dallas. We do feel fortunate to have a full field with so many other contests not being able to make qualifier.

Based on what I'm hearing, Guido is so busy with other projects that he will likely not be here for our contest. We're holding off on the Food Network until next year.

When will you be coming in? Even on the grass, the ground is very firm so we'll figure the placement when you get here.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #28
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Jim, I'll be coming in from Cleveland late Thursday night and staying at my Father In Laws house. I've moved my Jedmaster permanently to the Dayton area, at my friends farm in Germantown to cut down on fuel costs pulling that thing. We'll hook up the Jedmaster Friday morning and should be at the contest sometime around 10 or so.

I was so hoping to meet Guy. DDD is my favorite show on the Food Network. One thing for sure though, we won't be short on colorful characters at your contest!
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100
7. Backwoods Smoker - Fatboy
8. Traeger Texas Grill (BBQ 075)
Double D's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #29
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

I remember you saying your in-laws were around here but I never knew of anyone claiming to have friends in Germantown ....sorry Rick

We do have a line up of colorful characters and we're looking forward to a great weekend.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #30
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Smoke View Post
Well, if the offer still stands, do you want to make one of those practice cooks at the park tomorrow?
Sure, I was gonna call you after work.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640