MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Ye Olde Party Palace
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Terry4
Default Cast Iron Question

I have a small (#5) cast iron skillet that is in desperate need of reconditioning. My slightly warped mind came up with the thought that the next time that I fire up the UDS, I would put the skillet into the fire basket to burn off. I do have several questions about doing the burn off. Will the heat in the basket be enough to burn off the old seasoning and such? Will the old seasonings and such give off any bad flavors? Is this a good or STUPID idea? Help me Brethren.

[FONT=Impact]Youth and enthusiasm are easily overcome by old age and treachery. :loco:[/FONT]
Ye Olde Party Palace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

it could be too hot, and warp the skillet.
maybe someone more knowledgeable will come along
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

There are a few threads on the forums about how to refurb old rusty cast iron pans/skillets etc.

Give the search feature a try at the bottom of hte page. I'll look as well and post the link if I find it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

A common solution is to throw the skillet into a fire to burn off bad seasoning afaik. You can get them damned hot without damaging them

Old 10-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

Don't put food in with it, burning the crust off can be pretty nasty

Old 10-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Make a mixture of 1 cup Molasses and 1 gal water and soak the skillet in it for 3 days then rinse it and scrub with a wire brush it will come out clean & shiny CI.
Rub it down with a light coat Flax seed oil and start it off in a cold oven set it to 350 with the inside pointed to the oven floor for 1 hr. Leave it in until the oven is cold iron. Do this every day for 1 week then every week for 1 month then every month there after.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Make a mixture of 1 cup Molasses and 1 gal water and soak the skillet in it for 3 days then rinse it and scrub with a wire brush it will come out clean & shiny CI.
I'll have to try that next time. I've been putting CI in the oven and running a cleaning cycle. That works but really stinks up the house. I've heard that oven cleaner and stick in plastic bag for a couple days softens the old seasoning but have not tried it myself.

If you do choose to burn it out, I can't imagine that you could get enough heat using charcoal to do any damage. Just DON'T splash water on it or otherwise cool quickly and you should be good to go.

Here's a pretty good blog about seasoning CI (except I don't agree with her concern with damaging CI in the cleaning cycle. Anything hot enough to damage CI would melt the oven walls themselves! )

Old 10-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Ye Olde Party Palace

Name/Nickname : Terry4

I have most of my cast iron seasoned up nicely. I'm not even sure when or where is acquired this one, but was sorting through and found it again. Guess that I didn't clean it up when I got it, but being a #5 it would be a nice size for a couple of eggs. I know about throwing it in a fire, but really don't have a good place for that. I might try Bludawg's idea (sounds doable). Thanks for the help.

[FONT=Impact]Youth and enthusiasm are easily overcome by old age and treachery. :loco:[/FONT]
Ye Olde Party Palace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
Amigatec

You might try electrolysis to remove the rust.

Buy a box of washing soda, you can use baking soda but it doesn't work as good. Get a plastic container big enough to completely submerge the skillet in. Mix some of the soda with water, you will need an electrode, a steel rod will work fine. Get a cheap battery charger, connect the positive lead to the skillet and the negative lead to the electrode. Make sure the two don't touch, plug the charger in, you should see bubbles coming off the skillet, leave it over night.

The next day remove the skillet from the water/soda solution, the skillet will have a black coating on it, take a pot scrubber and running water and clean the black off of it. The skillet will be shiny new.

Then just cure it like any other skillet.
Homemade Cold Smoker from old IceBox
Cameron Stovetop smoker
Amigatec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Dauvis
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
I've heard that oven cleaner and stick in plastic bag for a couple days softens the old seasoning but have not tried it myself.
I tried that and it ended up being a farking mess.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Throw it in the oven, and put the oven on the self clean cycle, it will come out bare metal.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

This is a 10 1/2 skillet that has 3 coats so far of Flaxseed oil, i did mine at 480 for an hour putting a coat on and wiping away the excess and putting it in a cold oven and let it warm up with the oven.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Whenever I recondition cast iron I just throw some oven cleaner on it, put it in a black trash bag, and leave it in the sun for a few hours. Then I throw it in a big plastic tub, scrub it down, and then I wash it in the sink.

After that it's like everyone else said as far as seasoning it goes.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
Wooddust
Found some matches.

Fantastic information and great help if you are on FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/CastIronCrazy/

Old 10-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Throw it in the fire, right in the hot coals, using a good thick insulated cooking mitt,
drag it out, wire brush it, oil it down with crisco or lard, throw it back in the fire, cook
it again, re-oil it and start using it.