Let's talk cutlery....

J

JasonF

So I know I need a good meat slicer, but I'm thinking I want to buy a nice chef's knife or two as well to have around for things.

Anybody have any recommendations on brands or places to buy? I have no clue where to even begin.

Thanks guys!

I think its Bed Bath Beyond

Professional "S" series from Henkel (sp)

My Henkels rock. Got them for Xmas, and I wouldn't use anything else now.

3 pack (paring, 6" and 8", dimenisions might be wrong, look on BBB website)came with free sharpening rod.

awesome.
$169+20% off with those coupons in Sunday paper

Don't let Bill fool you. He likes them NOW, but in the beginning he had
some problems - until he figured out they cut better with the sharp side.

I think Brian (brdbbq) uses the Ginsu that came with his combo rice cooker
and bamboo steamer.

I'd go with the Henkels though.

If you want to go cheaper you can always check out a local food service supply house. The handles will be non-slip (read - ugly) but they'll do a good job.

Everything so far has been a good recommendation. The big key is commit to keeping whatever you buy in good shape. Buy some blade guards (not a block -- they get NASTY!), a decent sharpener (stone, whatever), and get a steel (that's a sharpening rod -- actually they don't sharpen :D) and learn how to use it.

I have some expensive knives and some cheap knives and I can cut myself to the bone equally well with any of them :mrgreen: The ones I use a lot are from, of all companies, Farberwear. Suckers hold a great edge and were really inexpensive. But then I keep 'em sharp and the blades proteted - they aren't used to pry frozen veggies apart, points broken by trying to use them to seperate racks of frozen ribs, etc.

Just my $.02 worth. Buy the best you can afford and keep them sharp.

racer_81 said:
Don't let Bill fool you. He likes them NOW, but in the beginning he had
some problems - until he figured out they cut better with the sharp side.

I think Brian (brdbbq) uses the Ginsu that came with his combo rice cooker
and bamboo steamer.

I'd go with the Henkels though.

You got that right...... 8)

Henckels good choice for professional cutlery, rival meat slicer (thats what I have)..also stay away from the butcher block thing...too many germs and bacteria.. I opted for the magnetic knive strip mounted to the wall....never loose a knife and they stay clean that way too

Randy

Knives: Henckel four star is our knife of choice but I probably wouldn't drop that much cash for them today. Have a few Farberware knives that hold an edge, and have enough weight to gut well. One thing to check at Bed Bath and Beyond is their clearance knives. Picked up a decent set, missing a paring knife, for about $10. Holds a good edge, good weight, so it is probably the biggest bargain sitting on the counter. One thing to check closely on the Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off coupon is the fine print. The ones I get usually exclude Henckel and Krups products.

On the subject of a slicer I can recomed the Krupps. I think it sells for around $100 at Bed Bath and Beyond. I'll smoke a ham and slice the whole thing up nice and thin for sammiches and freeze it using the FoodSaver, or prior to that gizmo I'd use ZipLoc bags. Saved a fortune by not going to the deli, and did the same with Genoa salami from Sam's etc. Buy whole pork loins on sale and slice some up about 1" thick and freeze those as well for chops. That slicer paid for itself in a hurry.

Jorge, I've been thinking about getting a slicer. I also have a food saver and have thought of doing the same thing with some of my smoked meat. Does it take long to re-heat the fozen sliced meat? How do you do it?

Stucue74 said:
Jorge, I've been thinking about getting a slicer. I also have a food saver and have thought of doing the same thing with some of my smoked meat. Does it take long to re-heat the fozen sliced meat? How do you do it?

Piece of cake. Using a nuker (last option for me) anything with any fat content will heat up in a hurry. If the microwave is the only option (guests hungrier than expected, the oven is in use for a side, got hung up in traffic) I cover the meat with plastic rap to keep the moisture in, and use low setting to warm instead of cook it a second time and dry it out.

I try to plan far enough ahead to be able to reheat most of the meat in the oven. I generally use aluminum steam pans from Sam's or local restaurant supply. I always cover the pan with foil since the oven is a very dry environment. The temp depends on what is being reheated, how much, whether I've already thawed it some etc.... Just like smoking, low and slow is the key if possible.

Haven't tried the boiling method that FoodSaver says you can use with the bags yet. I've thought about trying it for bigger groups when I'm pulling meat from the freezer. I figure with a big stock pot and turkey fryer.....

Deli meats go into the fridge the day before I plan to use them.

The whole process is a little extra work at the front end but well worth it months down the road when time and/or weather don't allow for a long smoke. Nothing can replace the flavor and pleasure I get after spending a day tending the fire, playing with rub or sauce or marinade or cutting into a brisket for the first slice and sampling (or more accureately fighting the better half and two dogs for that first sample <hint, use a very big and sharp knife for intimidation>).

How about "Chicago Cutlery Professional Chef" model. Saw one at WalMart for $16. Any good?

How about "Chicago Cutlery Professional Chef" model. Saw one at WalMart for $16. Any good?

I almost bought it last time I was looking -- wound up with the Farberware due to "cash flow" :D

I think it's carbon steel andwould take can edge well - carbon steel needs touching up with the steel pretty often and can be sharpened easily.

Just my opinion - your mileage may vary :mrgreen:

First off I feel your pain. I spent years searching for a good set of blades. Then my search ended (but more on that later).

Solingen Germany, the “HOLY GRALL” of fine knife makers. I’ve had a few or hole sets of in order of preference. Genring, Wusthof, J.A. Henckels, and WNF Cutlery.

Where they good, yes. Where they great, yes would I recommend them, (I would have.)

But then my friend in what I thought was a dunking stopper late one night ordered a set of MIRACLE BLADES, yes I said MIRACLE BLADES.

I gave him so much POOPIE over wasting his $ on some knives that where going to be crap. So a couple of weeks go by. I’m over their at his house and he pulls out this knife and said hear try it. I forget what it was I picked up to test it on I do remmber that I was laughing giving him more POOPIE for buying these knifes. When that’s right I cut the hell out of my hand. Cut it deep clean and long. So then he was laughing.

Point is the other knifes where good dame good I still have them. But the main block I keep out on the counter MIRACLE BLADES. I don’t think you can beat them. Hears why they keep their edge period. End of story. (Don’t think I’ve ever said end of story before.) Any way it’s not the end of the story. I have cut metal, wood vinyl and carpet with these things and cant but a dent in them. I can not recommend them enough.

But if you want the Name brand K-bars get them from TJ Max or a place like that. The discount is like 60 to 70% off list.

But then my friend in what I thought was a dunking stopper late one night ordered a set of MIRACLE BLADES, yes I said MIRACLE BLADES.

JCPenney carries them now (as if I would know this) for 49.99 without the cutting board and block (Got mine on sale for 39.99), and 89.99 with. I farking love the "Rock and Chop". Lifetime guarantee.

I have Henckles(Chef's, boning, paring) - wife bought at a local kitchen supply store. Haven't had to do anything but steel them to keep them sharp. Managed two Turduckhens with the boning knife(mostly).

I've got a fairly cheapie meat slicer - but it works like a charm

Also fess up to using an electric knife on brisket.

Wife also bought me the Miracle blades - must be some manufacturing problems - essentially useless after just slicing tomatos and onions and you can't sharpen em. The only infommerical products we have that work are the FoodSaver and TotalGym.

R

R

For the money ya can't beat Forschner(with fibrox handles). Best brisket slicer is a 12" Granton slicer--great knife--easy to sharpen and ez to find under 30 bucks. Look at lots of meat plants and Forschners are the knife of choice.

Buzz

I've got the Miracle Blades!! We got 'em as a wedding gift last summer- they rock!! But, I want to add another knife or two, hence my search for a good slicer particularly, but also a good 8-10" chef's knife as well for other uses in the kitchen besides Q'ing....

Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate it!

I have some cheap Old Hickory knives I like. They remind me of my teen years when we slaughtered hawgs in the winter and butchered
them using Old Hickory knives.

Married in to a set of Miracle Blades (although I didn't know what they were called). They are indeed sharp, they seem to hold an edge (haven't been married that long). Only complaint I have is that when slicing an onion or a tater they don't seem to cut straight - I can cut straight with Old Hickory or a big cleaver. It could be my technique (can't cut straight with a hand saw either).

They do cut tomatoes very nicely. And they go in the dishwasher and the metal doesn't turn colors (like the Old Hickory do).

Don't know that I would have purchased them if I hadn't seen them first. But they are good.

Eugene

I bought a Henkels professoinal "S" 12" granton slicer... damn slices london broils and briskets paper thin... yum...

colt

Back