select packer brisket

• Thread starter Rick's Tropical Delight
  • Start date
R

Rick's Tropical Delight

i wasn't too thrilled when my sponsor got me a select brisket, but i figured, what the heck.

turbinado sugar and dizzy pig cow lick

brisket-001.jpg

brisket-003.jpg

brisketburntends-001.jpg

brisketburntends-002.jpg

brisketburntends-006.jpg

brisketburntends-009.jpg

18 hours on the egg! holy cow! :biggrin:

Looks great... surprised though in that there doesn't appear to even be a hint of a smoke ring although I'm sure it tasted smokey.

The photographer here must not know how to take good pics. :biggrin:

Burnt ends! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Looks mighty fine as usual Rick!

Nice burnt ends, just the way I like them...

Looks a little dry Rick and the color is off just a little don't you think. Kind of looks tough too. I'll Pass this time I guess.:eek:

Now with that being said, Oh Brother, that is awesome. I'm so jealous I think I just might crack up. :cool:

I have never known you to get a negative comment and thought you might just appreciate one from a friend. All in fun though and a complete falsehood. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Just noticed Vinnys reply, I guess he beat me to the punch.

Your still the man to beat.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

OK - I know I've read it before, but remind me (and enlighten the new folks), who is your sponsor? Seems like it was your day job employer . . . or something like that.

That's a delicious looking brisket!

Are you looking to hire a first mate or drinking buddy full-time?

as usual, very nice! I'm curious what you mean be sponsor as well.

Isn't that what BBQ really truly is all about though? Taking a sub-par piece of meat and making it so that people say it's wonderful?

Looks tasty Rick! Love the burnt ends.

Burnt ends are the bomb! I have a sponsor (Wife - Makes more $).

Looks great... surprised though in that there doesn't appear to even be a hint of a smoke ring although I'm sure it tasted smokey.

The photographer here must not know how to take good pics. :biggrin:

yeah, i was a little surprised there was no smoke ring. i used hickory chunks in the lump

Looks a little dry Rick and the color is off just a little don't you think. Kind of looks tough too. I'll Pass this time I guess.:eek:

Now with that being said, Oh Brother, that is awesome. I'm so jealous I think I just might crack up. :cool:

I have never known you to get a negative comment and thought you might just appreciate one from a friend. All in fun though and a complete falsehood. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Just noticed Vinnys reply, I guess he beat me to the punch.

Your still the man to beat.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

yep, the flat was a little dry, but it wasn't very tough. the slices pulled apart nicely. i'm still not totally happy with the flat results, but omg, the point was fantabulous! dunking the flat slices in the juices in the bottom of the foil really helped. thanks for the honest opinion, cause you are right

OK - I know I've read it before, but remind me (and enlighten the new folks), who is your sponsor? Seems like it was your day job employer . . . or something like that.

That's a delicious looking brisket!

i'm calling my friend with the bar/restaurant/carryout my sponsor since he had agreed to buy all the meat i need for my first competition. i wanted to try some of his supplier's meat so i'd know what to expect come comp time. i've asked him to get me some chicken thighs so i can check them out......

vinny's

Isn't that what BBQ really truly is all about though? Taking a sub-par piece of meat and making it so that people say it's wonderful?

exactly! i think the supplier told my friend if i was going to low-n-slow it, he'd get me a select instead of cab or choice. it came out pretty dang good so i reckon i should be a little happy. one of the problems is i'm not exactly sure how it is supposed to come out. i mean, i've not tasted an award winning brisket, so until i do, i'm just shooting in the dark, ya know?

this guy sat at in the 160's forever all morning and afternoon. the race had started, so i flipped it fat cap up and foiled it and bumped up the temp to 300. it started to rise up to 190 pretty quickly after that.

i need more practice, practice, practice :oops::biggrin:

I really like the honesty on this forum. If a guy doesn't know what he's doing, or messes up something, or lacks experience in some area, he admits it. Me, I suck at taking photos, and consistency in brisket.:mad:
I had no idea, Rick, that you hadn't been in a competition yet.
You seem so good at what you BBQ (oh, yeah, I've seen the photos) that I guess I thought it was a given that you have done/do comp's.
I, too, would like to do some comps., maybe this year.
It's just nice to know that a guy who seems to have the Midas touch is still human!:lol:
Anyway, much success, bro.

Back