MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #241
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Butterballs instructions for cooking a turkey on a covered grill that I printed out in 2001.
This is how I cooked my first turkey and many more before I switched to the minion method. Otherwise, I still use this method for all but the fanciest occasions.
Attachment 87243
I ran across a video of someone using this technique.

Bill grills 20+ pound turkey on a Weber grill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR7vG7Ij4_I

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #242
BigWoodGuy
Got rid of the matchlight.

I usually fry, but I've been smoking so much meat lately and haven't smoked a turkey in years, I decided it was time. I didn't brine because the package said "flavor added", so I figured someone had already, but I did inject Tony Chachere's buttery stuff (the same I used when I fry). I also made sure to squirt some between the skin and meat, and rubbed it all over the outside of the bird too. Then I sprinkled generously with herbs de provence. Smoked over apple wood on my kamado joe at 325-350 until the breast was 165. Rested it as long as I could stand it. Wow. It was just as juicy as any fried bird I had ever done, but had that touch of smokeyness we all love. It was awesome. I will do this a lot more often. Best of all, I didn't have to deal with 3 1/2 gallons of peanut oil. I hope the picture comes through. Not sure I've figured out how to add them yet.
BigWoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #243
Heffneil
Found some matches.

For turkey day I was considering smoking on turkey and a bunch of breasts. I figure the breasts will be easier to slice and not make a terrible mess when having to dissect the turkey. Anyone else take this approach?
Heffneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #244
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffneil View Post
For turkey day I was considering smoking on turkey and a bunch of breasts. I figure the breasts will be easier to slice and not make a terrible mess when having to dissect the turkey. Anyone else take this approach?
I've done a few whole turkeys and they came out great. As of an hour ago, I have a breast (with wings) in my UDS...along with a 9 pound butt. I'm very interested to see how the breast comes out since just about everyone in my family likes that part the best. Did not brine since it was an "enhanced" breast...

Old 11-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #245
UF_Aero
Got Wood.

This year I figured on passing on the brine and just doing an injection (Butterball butter creole injection marinade). Since in the past I've always purchased "unenhanced" birds and brined them myself, any thoughts on enhanced vs. unenhanced if I plan skip brining and just inject? Going to smoke about a 16lb bird on a 22.5 Weber kettle @ around 350.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #246
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF_Aero View Post
This year I figured on passing on the brine and just doing an injection (Butterball butter creole injection marinade). Since in the past I've always purchased "unenhanced" birds and brined them myself, any thoughts on enhanced vs. unenhanced if I plan skip brining and just inject? Going to smoke about a 16lb bird on a 22.5 Weber kettle @ around 350.
I've brined enhanced birds before. I don't think you get as big a change with brining enhanced birds, but I also think that it does help some.

I've even brined AND injected!

I usually just inject with butter. Sometimes the butter is seasoned, sometimes not. I wouldn't inject with a lot of flavor AND brine though. Do one or the other unless your injection is pretty simple.

Here's my opinion on enhanced turkeys:
The "enhancement" is usually a salty brine solution that's added. The packaging may say "up to 8%" or "up to3.5%". So, there's a big variable as to how much they injected and of what.
Let's say that brining adds a total of 10% "enhancement". (I really have no idea how much brining adds, but let's say 10%). Brining works by equilibrium and osmosis. So if you start with a raw, fresh turkey with 0% enhancement and you brine you end up with 10% enhancement due to the brine.

IF, on the other hand, you start with a turkey that has been "enhanced with up to 5% salt solution" and you brine it for 18-24 hours, you'll end up with what? Yep....a 10% enhanced bird. Because the whole process of brining first extracts any salt in the meat (whether natural or previously enhanced) and THEN through equilibrium, the salt level equalizes between the brine and the meat, yielding flavorful turkey meat. I don't think that brining an enhanced bird makes the turkey way more overly salty. I think you don't get AS MUCH improvement by brining an enhanced bird, but you still get benefit. They say "up to 3%", so what actual percentage of the bird got "enhanced" Who knows?

Now.....these are just my thoughts on this. I really have no concrete evidence to defend this right now, other than what I've read and learned along the way. Someone could pop in here and tell me I'm off my rocker.

All I know is that I've brined enhanced and non-enhanced birds and they both turn about the same: AWESOME.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #247
UF_Aero
Got Wood.

Great thoughts, Wampus. Thanks. I was trying to avoid brining at all though to avoid the space in the cooler and/or refrigerator. Sounds like an enhanced turkey + injection is better than unenhanced + injection, both of which are of course inferior to a brine + injection.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #248
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF_Aero View Post
Great thoughts, Wampus. Thanks. I was trying to avoid brining at all though to avoid the space in the cooler and/or refrigerator. Sounds like an enhanced turkey + injection is better than unenhanced + injection, both of which are of course inferior to a brine + injection.
Oh there's different schools of thought on that. Some suggest that injecting INSTEAD of brining is the way to go. A lot of flavor can be added with an injection for sure. Personally, I think that since brining acts on a cellular level, you can get a more complete, evenly distributed flavor with a brine vs injection where you have different "pockets" of injection in and among the meat fibers. I think that once both are cooked, one would be hard pressed to really tell a difference though.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #249
Smoked Nachos?
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Here's my opinion on enhanced turkeys:
The "enhancement" is usually a salty brine solution that's added. The packaging may say "up to 8%" or "up to3.5%". So, there's a big variable as to how much they injected and of what.
Let's say that brining adds a total of 10% "enhancement". (I really have no idea how much brining adds, but let's say 10%). Brining works by equilibrium and osmosis. So if you start with a raw, fresh turkey with 0% enhancement and you brine you end up with 10% enhancement due to the brine.

IF, on the other hand, you start with a turkey that has been "enhanced with up to 5% salt solution" and you brine it for 18-24 hours, you'll end up with what? Yep....a 10% enhanced bird. Because the whole process of brining first extracts any salt in the meat (whether natural or previously enhanced) and THEN through equilibrium, the salt level equalizes between the brine and the meat, yielding flavorful turkey meat. I don't think that brining an enhanced bird makes the turkey way more overly salty. I think you don't get AS MUCH improvement by brining an enhanced bird, but you still get benefit. They say "up to 3%", so what actual percentage of the bird got "enhanced" Who knows?

Now.....these are just my thoughts on this. I really have no concrete evidence to defend this right now, other than what I've read and learned along the way. Someone could pop in here and tell me I'm off my rocker.

All I know is that I've brined enhanced and non-enhanced birds and they both turn about the same: AWESOME.
I'd love to hear some more opinions on this. I have an 8% enhanced turkey I plan to cook next week. I won't be injecting, but I'm hesitant to brine as I thought the 8% + brine + some salt in my rub would make for way too much sodium.

Last edited by Smoked Nachos?; 11-18-2013 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Corrected grammar.
Smoked Nachos? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #250
moe1967
Got Wood.

Wampus,

Would you inject an "enhanced" turkey with store bought creole butter? Reason I ask is because we don't use hardly any salt on my food and I'm concerned that the store bought creole butter, which almost certainly is loaded with sodium, plus the enhance bird would end up with an overly salty meal.

Or, would you make you own butter injection, minus the salt?

Thanks in advance
moe1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #251
TheBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe1967 View Post
Wampus,

Would you inject an "enhanced" turkey with store bought creole butter? Reason I ask is because we don't use hardly any salt on my food and I'm concerned that the store bought creole butter, which almost certainly is loaded with sodium, plus the enhance bird would end up with an overly salty meal.

Or, would you make you own butter injection, minus the salt?

Thanks in advance
I am curious about this as well. I prefer injection just for the simplicity...
TheBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #252
Humble Soul
Full Fledged Farker

I think if you're gonna worry about the amount of sodium while injecting and or brining, don't do it! If the bird is "enhanced", maybe that's enough for some. Personally, I haven't looked at whether it's enhanced with an x% of solution the past two thanksgiving birds I've done, and brined them as I normally do and it turned out great. It's Thanksgiving, I'm too busy smokin' the bird, drinking beer and watching football to worry about sodium!

Old 11-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #253
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Spatchcock cook time vs whole?
Wife and kids don't want to go out of town so I have been ordered to cook for 8-10 people. It just dawned on me I never timed any of the spatchcock turkeys I made in the past.
Wife wants to eat between 4-5pm so I'm thinking 23lb bird cooked at 325-350 2-2/12 hrs maybe? Also I'll have a pan of gravy on the lower rack of the WSM so I was thinking about firing her up around noon getting bird on 2pm.
Any thoughts?

Old 11-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #254
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

Im thinking of dry brining a turkey. My question is once it has been brined for a couple of days then rinsed and allowed to dry in the fridge, do I put a normal amount of rub on/under the skin? go light on the rub? Or reduce the salt in the rub recipe?
Goyo626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #255
keale
Babbling Farker

Now you did it Kempis!! I've never smoked a whole turkey before,(or ever had deep fried turkey) I'm really thinking about it this year, and its all your fault! LOL!
Weber Performer (169.00/brand new mod.)
Weber Handles from www.amlwoodart.com
UDS
22.5" Weber kettle, (refuse collector mod.)
18" Weber kettle (almost new craigslist $20 mod)

"crest of a breaking wave" thats my name...
keale is offline   Reply With Quote