MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Default Sponsorship help/Ice breakers

Hey Brethern,

I am a fairly new team. I have cooked for years, but started competing in 2012. I did 3 events. Placed OK in all 3. Anyway, I was chatting with a vendor that assists the company I work for about what I do.

Surprise #1 - She loved it and wanted me to send her some info and she would take it to her managers for possible year long sponsorship. Hells yeah!

Surprise #2 - She also told me that her husband is best friends with a guy that is a higher up in a meat packing company. She is going to introduce me and see what goes from there. They deal in Waygu and Berkshire. The good stuff.

Question (sorry to ramble) How do I break this ice with this guy? Are there some guidelines that could prepare me for this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

From the sounds of it it looks like the ice will be broken for you. I think if you are talking about breaking the ice in terms of what they can do for you as part of your sponsorship, start off by asking what you can do for them. should be a pretty easy conversation after that.
Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Find out what kind of bourbon he likes. Then take him a bottle of Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve and let him try some decent stuff.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wager View Post
From the sounds of it it looks like the ice will be broken for you. I think if you are talking about breaking the ice in terms of what they can do for you as part of your sponsorship, start off by asking what you can do for them. should be a pretty easy conversation after that.
this is spot on.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs on Fire View Post
Find out what kind of bourbon he likes. Then take him a bottle of Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve and let him try some decent stuff.
WR is crap, Bookers, Bakers, Four Roses single barrel. And your best ribs. Lots of folks think
ribs is the premium Bbq.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbert60 View Post
Question (sorry to ramble) How do I break this ice with this guy? Are there some guidelines that could prepare me for this? Any help would be much appreciated.
Make your conversation about what you can do for them. You will be talking with businessmen and before they are willing to invest in a sponsorship the will want to understand what benefit it will be for them. Most new teams think sponsorships are free money but nothing could be furthur from the truth. You will be providing a service for money. Your service could be anything from a caterered event for the sponsor to displaying a banner for the sponsor. That is for you to negociate with the sponsor. When taking on a sponsor make sure you draw up a contract so that it is clearly understood what is expected from both parties. The contract will protect you both.

When we were a new team I wish I had listened to my own advice. We had a sponsor whose expectations were unrealistic but we had dollar signs in our eyes and accepted the money anyway. It was a big mistake and caused a lot of hard feelings. It kinda took the wind out of our sails. We lived and learned and will never take on another sponsor again. It we don't have the fund ourselves, we will not compete. Had I known then what I know now, things may have been different. Now we are a little wiser.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
WR is crap, Bookers, Bakers, Four Roses single barrel. And your best ribs. Lots of folks think
ribs is the premium Bbq.
Well, unless your brisket or pork is better than your ribs
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
sweetracks
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbert60 View Post
Hey Brethern,

I am a fairly new team. I have cooked for years, but started competing in 2012. I did 3 events. Placed OK in all 3. Anyway, I was chatting with a vendor that assists the company I work for about what I do.

Surprise #1 - She loved it and wanted me to send her some info and she would take it to her managers for possible year long sponsorship. Hells yeah!

Surprise #2 - She also told me that her husband is best friends with a guy that is a higher up in a meat packing company. She is going to introduce me and see what goes from there. They deal in Waygu and Berkshire. The good stuff.

first of all congrats for being in the right place at the right time

like everyone else said, make it about what you can do for them and not what they can do for you. The partnership with our butcher has paid huge dividends for us both during the season and after it.

If you want some company let me know

Old 02-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
Well, unless your brisket or pork is better than your ribs
My walks in pork has paid $1650 over my last three comps, I kind of like it.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote