Just an idea...

You farkers. I grabbed a tape measure and was heading out in the dark to measure the burn barrel before I remembered Noah already gave him the dimensions on the previous page.

You are not going to get 3 shelves in a 55 gallon and have it work'
I have a basic BDS and the direct fire flavor is wonderful
Much better than our WSM

ThomEmery said:
You are not going to get 3 shelves in a 55 gallon and have it work'
I have a basic BDS and the direct fire flavor is wonderful
Much better than our WSM

Right, Thom. That is what the BDS is all about.

And remember, Mista----We are talking about a 22 inch diameter cooking grate. That will hold a bunch of stuff. I don't remember off hand the diameter of a WMS, but I am guessing that the BDS is twice the capicity per grate.

In case you missed it, I suggested earlier to use the dome lid from a Weber kettle on top of the barrel, that will increase the hight enough for you to have two shelves, three if they are close together at the top, so you could do thin stuff like ribs, etc.

What's wrong with a WSM? You can get them for $179 on the internet with about $16 bucks shipping...

Hawgsnheifers said:
What's wrong with a WSM? You can get them for $179 on the internet with about $16 bucks shipping...

Nothing wrong with a WSM at all, Todd. Just using it to point out size difference. The Big Drum Smoker works on a different principle, the flavor profile is different, and it will cook more per load than a WSM.

qman said:
Right, Thom. That is what the BDS is all about.

And remember, Mista----We are talking about a 22 inch diameter cooking grate. That will hold a bunch of stuff. I don't remember off hand the diameter of a WMS, but I am guessing that the BDS is twice the capicity per grate.

In case you missed it, I suggested earlier to use the dome lid from a Weber kettle on top of the barrel, that will increase the hight enough for you to have two shelves, three if they are close together at the top, so you could do thin stuff like ribs, etc.
If the 55 gallon BDS has 2 shelves, why can't Mista?

You cant get two shelves in the BDS BUT you can if you use a kettle dome lid
as we do You can do two. The lower grill will be too close to the fire you would have to turn it hourly ,then the air would make your fire too high, then you would not be low and slow get the picture? :)

nmayeux said:
If the 55 gallon BDS has 2 shelves, why can't Mista?

Noah, I think we may be talking about 2 "practical" cooking levels. If I remember correctly, both the shelves on the BDS are very close to the top, with only 3 or 4 inches of seperation.

I said in my post that you quoted, you could have three cooking levels, for thin stuff like ribs, with the dome top.
With the dome top, you get enough seperation to load two shelves up with butts or whole briskets.

Mista

Also consider that the BDS or your clone of it will have 380 inches of cooking surface per grate, for a total of 760 for two grates. The WSM is a total of 468 inches for both grates, so you are gaining a lot of cooking surface.

How about one of these? Sounds like a similar concept.

Smoker built into the firebox.* Great for ribs, sausage, chicken, seafood, vegetables, shish kabobs, and more.* Use upper food levels for smoking effect and lower food levels for grilling effect.* Get the best of both worlds in one big pit.

Specifications and Features:* Firebox is 1/4" x 24" diameter x 27" length.* Upright is built right into the firebox and there are two removable 1/4" slotted plates that prevent flames from entering the upright and allowing heat and smoke in.* All doors are flanged for heat and smoke retention, handles are stainless cool-touch handles, Gator Pit's dial style air-intake vent on firebox side ash door, Four sliding pull-out food trays, stainless steel temperature gauge, two industrial heavy duty wheels and two heavy duty swivel wheels for easy mobility (hard tires standard on orders taken after 7/19/05), adjustable smoke stack, Angle framed wood grating for added strength.

Brazilian_Cooker_2.jpg

Brazilian_Cooker.jpg

One of these would do nicely, too. Charcoal and wood, long burn time.

[FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]The Backyard Edition

-4 rack cooker each rack with 24” x 14” usable space
-Uses charcoal and wood
-Water tray or dry cook
-Built with the Legendary JedMaster Firebox
-16 gauge steel

Dimensions:
Height: 50 ¼” Width: 28” Depth: 21”
Stand Height: 12”
Weight 225lbs. Approx.
$1250.00
F.O.B. Birmingham, AL[/SIZE][/FONT]

http://www.brittsbbq.com/html/jack_s_old_south_-_the_backyar.html

And if you really want to move up...I'm partial to this one!!!

http://www.brittsbbq.com/html/jack_s_old_south_-_hog_cooker.html

clearpixel.gif
[FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Dimensions:
Height Width Depth Stand Height
Weight 2300 lbs. Approx.
$7500.00[/SIZE][/FONT]
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
[FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]THE BIG KAHUNA OF HOG COOKERS

This cooker is an insulated double walled 12 gauge carbon steel with a stainless steel water tray. Each rack is 34”X64” giving you 15.2 square feet of cooking surface. Four rack supports are provided, for over 60 square feet of cooker. The cooker comes standard with stainless outer doors for both the product and fire doors, two industrial thermometers, and two Jed Fireboxes. Each firebox will hold up to 30 lbs. of charcoal and give extra long cooking times unattended. Also, one rack and one hog rack is also provided. All for $7,500.00 direct in our plant in Birmingham, AL[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Competition Hog Cooker

-Double wall with 1” high temp ceramic fiber insulation
-4 Racks 64” x 34” each usable space
-With stainless racks add $200/rack
-Uses wood and charcoal
-With gas burner and controls add $3500
-Water tray or dry cook
-Built with the Legendary JedMaster firebox
-12 gauge steel[/SIZE][/FONT]

qman said:

Just went and looked, for the sake of discussion:

WSM = 18-1/2" diameter
Kettle = 22-1/2" diameter

Forget the whole Pie-R-Squared thing to figure out total area or whatever

Good idea with the kettle lid qman

Now. Let me explain the concept of poverty to you all. I am selling Pork Sammich Lunches to help pay for my bash tickets. I work as a bouncer when I can for some extra cash. All in addition to my pittance from Wells Fargo.

It's nice to dream, but the $160 barrel is in my price range. When I get more catering gigs, I will get another one. When the biz is rolling good then I will probably get a spicewine.

MrsMista likes the green with the spoiler.

Bigmista said:
Now. Let me explain the concept of poverty to you all. I am selling Pork Sammich Lunches to help pay for my bash tickets. I work as a bouncer when I can for some extra cash. All in addition to my pittance from Wells Fargo.

It's nice to dream, but the $160 barrel is in my price range. When I get more catering gigs, I will get another one. When the biz is rolling good then I will probably get a spicewine.

MrsMista likes the green with the spoiler.

I hope you realize that I'm just pulling your chain!! :mrgreen: I can't afford another cooker either - but I still keep looking!!

Anyone got a cooker I can borrow that'll do about 235# of pork butts? Or one that'll do 100# or so and I'll just run two cookers? I need it in June.:rolleyes:

Back