MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #31
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
Interesting read on the voting for the board.

The following members voted "YES" more than 90 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up :
Carol, Merl, Gene, & Don.

The following members voted "NO" more than 90 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up:
Wayne, Steve & Rod (until he resigned).

The following members voted "YES" more than 50 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up:
Linda

The following members voted "NO" more than 50 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up:
Tana

The following members voted "NO" or "ABSTAINED" more than 75 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up:
Ed, Paul

The following members voted "NO" 100 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up when he had the opportunity to vote:
Mike

That is EXCELLENT information. Thank you for putting that together. Can you please explain what 'majority of the contested issues' means?

Great work!

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #32
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Regardless of whether or not I agree with Mike, at least he is in there voting. Do you happen to have the amount of times that Paul abstained handy? With repeated 'no reports' I would be very sorry to hear that he also abstains disproportionately.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #33
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Honestly, what does this tell you? So someone voted yes or no a certain percentage of the time. It's what those issues were that makes it important how they voted, not just that they voted one way or another.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #34
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Honestly, what does this tell you? So someone voted yes or no a certain percentage of the time. It's what those issues were that makes it important how they voted, not just that they voted one way or another.
I think it means that in most situations, the lines were drawn before the vote even occurred.

When I read it, it appeared that Merl made a majority of the motions and from the stats provided above, 90% of the time the same group voted yes and the other group voted no. I sure would like to know the context of some of those discussions and votes.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:06 PM   #35
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
yes, Yes, YES!

I have had this opinion from the very first time I stumbled on the KCBS site. I understand there is a history between Ray Basso and KCBS, but the time is long past due to provide the membership with a modern, full-featured forum operated under the official auspices of KCBS.

Every other venue (including this board) operates under the moderation of third parties with their own motivations and agendas. An online forum controlled directly by KCBS, be it by BoD, Staff or Committee is the best method to supply trusted and true real time information to the membership at large, wherever they may live.

I think everyone will agree that KCBS.us has been vastly improved since MMA re-imagined it. Adding a members forum should be high on the To-Do List for 2010.
Well maybe when the new BoD takes office we can make some progress on this

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #36
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

[QUOTE=Smoke'n Ice;1084161]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBS.us has been vastly improved since MMA re-imagined it. QUOTE
Exactly what did they re=imagined and what did it cost? Inquiring minds wish to know
You'd have to ask Mike about the costs - the Website redesign was part of the package deal of services in the contract between MMA and KCBS.

Maybe you never saw the old site, but frankly it was embarrassing. There was practically no useful content for members and it looked like a middle-school student project, not a portal for the world's largest cook-off sanctioning organization. I'm not claiming the site is perfect now, but the improvement over what we used to have is dramatic.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:03 AM   #37
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Kind of disrespectful Gowan. You weren't there when I had to wrestle the website away from an old guard board member after he told us he actually owned it instead of us. I think the last version was a whole lot better than what we would have had if I hadn't taken all those lumps. Believe me, they weren't going to spend any money on it at that time and Garry Howard and I did a pretty good job given the circumstances.

[QUOTE=CivilWarBBQ;1084422]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post

Maybe you never saw the old site, but frankly it was embarrassing. There was practically no useful content for members and it looked like a middle-school student project, not a portal for the world's largest cook-off sanctioning organization. I'm not claiming the site is perfect now, but the improvement over what we used to have is dramatic.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:23 AM   #38
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Kind of disrespectful Gowan. You weren't there when I had to wrestle the website away from an old guard board member after he told us he actually owned it instead of us. I think the last version was a whole lot better than what we would have had if I hadn't taken all those lumps. Believe me, they weren't going to spend any money on it at that time and Garry Howard and I did a pretty good job given the circumstances.
Not at all Ray.

Like thousands of other visitors to KCBS.US, I had no knowledge of any drama behind the scenes. Therefore my comments have nothing to do with personalities. Rather, I'm related an honest opinion of the product itself. (True blind judging in the KCBS tradition!) If you say the site was even worse circa pre-2005 I believe you. That doesn't change the fact that prior to MMA taking over the project our organization's Web presence was far from professional by 21st century standards.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #39
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
That is EXCELLENT information. Thank you for putting that together. Can you please explain what 'majority of the contested issues' means?

Great work!

Eric
By contested vote I used only thoes votes that were not unaminous and appeared to have a difference of opinion on issues. The only correlation that I was drawing was "there appear to be two camps on the board and any vote hinges on Linda and Tana." Just my observations and a little excel time.

The abstentions were for issues in which the parties were involved and appeared to be very legitimate. ie. pay for instructor at CBJ class, free ads on the web site, etc. I just found it odd that Ed made the motion for the CBJ pay and then had to abstain because it affects him. Food for the Winter grist mill.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote