• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Grilled lobster rolls: How to impress the ladies (with pron of course)

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm almost embarassed posting this after seeing all the great BBQ pics today, but there's a quick story behind this. I'm a HUGE Atlanta falcon fan, and their first public mini-camp was today and my two season ticket friends couldn't make it. I didn't want to go alone (it's over an hour drive), so the wifey agreed to come along with one condition: I made one of her favorite meals, grilled lobster rolls for dinner tonight. I figured I'd share this recipe in case any other brethren need this to sway their better halves (or future better halves) with this type of meal.

The ingredients:
1 large or 2 medium lobster tails (total of about 3/4 to 1 lb.), butter, hot dog buns, 1/4 cup mayo, 1 TBSP (more or less to taste) lemon juice, 1 TBSP + 1 tsp celery chopped fine, salt and pepper to taste.
IMG_0002.jpg

Chop the celery, then add the mayo. Although I love Dukes mayo, I don't recommend it for sauces, it is too strong. I like using Hellmann's for sauces. If you don't have Alton Brown's set of plungers, they are great for adding thick ingredients such as mayo, kethcup, honey, etc. You can get them from his website. Mix together the mayo, celery, lemon juice, then a little salt and pepper. Add enough lemon juice to get a little tang.
IMG_0005.jpg

Using a pair of kitchen shears (or in this case, a pair of bandage scissors you've stolen from a hospital), cut along the length of the lobster tail shell.
IMG_0008.jpg

Cut the lobster tail meat down to the bottom of the shell, but not through the shell.
IMG_0009.jpg

Now split the shell and meat as shown.
IMG_0011.jpg

Cook meat side down for about 3 minutes until browned, then flip and hit with some melted butter.
IMG_0012.jpg

Cook with the shell side down for about 5 minutes, or until internal temp hits around 140-150 degrees.
IMG_0014.jpg

Let cool for a bit. By the way, there is nothing wrong with serving them just like this with a little drawn butter. But wifey wants lobster rolls.
IMG_0015.jpg

Tear the lobster meat from the shells, chop, and hit with a little salt and pepper.
IMG_0019.jpg

Add a little bit of the mayo mix at a time until all the meat is coated. You don't want a ton of mayo mix, just enough to coat all the meat and add enough moisture and flavor.
IMG_0020.jpg

Brush the hot dog buns with butter and brown on the grill.
IMG_0023.jpg

Spoon the lobster on the buns and you are good to go. Total cost of the meal was about $23.00 bucks. Yeah, I know it's expensive, but we blow that much at a cheap mexican joint. Plus the wifey got her lobster rolls.
That doesn't stop me from getting a tear in my eye thinking how much pulled pork I could have smoked for $23.00 bucks.
IMG_0024.jpg

Bonus shots! OK, I feel gay after posting this, so I have to follow up with some pics from the Falcon football practice:

Our backfield. Turner the burner, Norwood, Mughelli, Snelling, Brown.
IMG_0042.jpg

Our new tight end, Tony Gonzales and owner Arthur Blank.
IMG_0054.jpg

Our "all-world" QB, Mat "Matty-Ice" Ryan.
IMG_0065.jpg

Our beloved coach, Mike (Smitty) Smith.
IMG_0074.jpg

That's all!

Last edited:
Just cuz' it ain't pork means you are gay. I've got 4 kids (the two-legged variety), a firm grip on my man card, and I'd eat those...

Why didn't you just dunk chunks of tail into some clarified butter? I'm a lobster purist. All Lobster needs is some sort of heat (boiling or grilling) and butter....Those tails looked perfectly done...

Why didn't you just dunk chunks of tail into some clarified butter? I'm a lobster purist. All Lobster needs is some sort of heat (boiling or grilling) and butter....Those tails looked perfectly done...

because sometimes that just isn't enuf.

nice job on the lobster rolls!

Good lookin' eats right there! I'm gonna keep that in mind for when the OL wants some lobster.

That is one of my favorites… and that dude is one of the best lobster rolls I have seen… sure wish I had one right now!

We buy live lobsters all the time and just eat them with nothing but butter (which is how I prefer them). Lobster rolls are a kind of a New England thing. It's the specialty of Legal Sea Food and other New England type restaurants. Wifey loves them, and this was for her, not for me. I'm like you though, I'm happiest with a whole steamed lobster and some butter.

Awesome looking Lobster Rolls bro!!!!!!! And trust me there isn't anything gay about Lobster......Good work

My 2nd favorite team, I really like what they have going on with turner ryan and tony g.

that looked great, gay or not. i'd hit it. how did ya get on the field ?

that looked great, gay or not. i'd hit it. how did ya get on the field ?

They just rope off the area where they practice, so all the viewers can stand where they want and take pics. I have a telephoto lens so it looks like I am a lot closer.

Dude...I am all over that! :p We went to Maine on vacation last year and I must have eaten a dozen of those...so you can call me gay if you want to...:eek: Those look awseome...:biggrin:

Oh yeah...Go SeaHawks! :twisted:

I'll take some of those with that chocolate cake that is on another thread and you can keep the man card. Plus getting the wife out to do something that you totally enjoy with you definitely worth it. Nice job.

Hey Saiko, thank you for posting the "how to". It looks really good, thanks bro!

Oh yeah...Go SeaHawks! :twisted:

Well, you have our old coach and my favorite player when he was a falcon (Patrick Kerney), so I can't hate on the seahawks. Mora Jr. was a good coach when he was here, but let the players run a little wild and played favorites. I think he learned his lesson though and should be a great coach moving forward.

Back