2nd BGE Cook & A Few BGE Questions?

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
After reading I should do a few lower temp cooks to help set the gaskets I did a while chicken my first time (forgot to take pics). Then today I did some moinks and corn. For some reason that combo just sounded good. I used the plate setter both times to cook around 300-350. I have a few general questions for the BGE owners out there.

1. How long/many times do I need to cook low before I can crank it up? I want to high heat sear some steak and do pizza.

2. You'll notice I don't have any kind of drip pan underneath. I know you don't have to use one since it all burns off anyways, but does anyone use one for a water pan and find any noticeable moisture difference in the meat??

3. I love making pizza and I bought the BGE pizza stone. Any tips for pizza on the egg? I know to put the stone on as it comes up to temp. Temp suggestions? How hot can you cook pizza? Looks like you could cook a pizza pretty darn fast.

4. For my first low and slow smoke on the egg are their any lump lighting tips and vent adjustment tips? For my first 2 cooks I just put a bunch in there an dropped a few weber cubes to start it, got it up to around 300 and randomly closed the vents a little to hold temp. WSM practice probably helped a little, but I know they aren't the same. Do people get the temp up high, then put meat on which brings the temp down a little and then adjust vents? I'm sure there are different methods.
4b. Is it sacrilegious to use weber cubes to light a BGE and not the BGE starters :p?? I just like them.

Thanks!

2011-08-30_19-01-59_68.jpg

2. You'll notice I don't have any kind of drip pan underneath. I know you don't have to use one since it all burns off anyways, but does anyone use one for a water pan and find any noticeable moisture difference in the meat??

I use a various sized aluminum pans for mine. I also wrap the Plate Setter in foil to keep it cleaner.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1770347 said:
I use a various sized aluminum pans for mine. I also wrap the Plate Setter in foil to keep it cleaner.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll give the pans a try one way or another.

I use a drip pan, but I don't add anything to it. Just use it to catch drippings.

+1 on wrapping the platesetter in foil. It's just easier to clean up that way.

I use MAPP gas to light the lump. I've used cubes, but I'm too impatient.

Finally, I don't use the platesetter if I'm grilling at 350 degrees. I like the extra smoke from grease dripping on the coals.

Cheers,
Braddog

I wrap the platesetter in foil and use a disposable pan to catch the drippings, then put ash in it and throw away. I went 5 low cooks before cooking steaks at high temp. You should try a long low and slow like a pork butt or pulled beef, Good luck with your egg. I have 3 now!!

Back