Smoker Opinions and Options

Welcome to your new obsession. :mrgreen:

P.S. The 30 gallon drum is a bit small in width IMO. A lot of the PBC users do hanging cooks (pretty much the suggested way although you can use a rack as well). Personally, I prefer the 22.5 WSM or 55 gallon drum width if using a round cooker (full packer or full spare rack fits). I don't own one, but temp regulation is pretty much set it and forget it using the proper lighting method.

Thanks for the input. I guess I am leaning toward the WSM at the moment.

Lots of people build and sell UDS's. Check Craigslist in your area.

When it comes to the COSs there's a lot of junk out there for sure. If someone were to ask me about buying their first stick burner I'd recommend looking for a used quality custom built cooker on CL or look at a new one from LSG or Shirley with good thick steel and a good design. I wish that many years ago when I first got into cooking Q I could have started on a quality pit but there wasn't that many pit builders at the time to choose from (over 30 years ago) and I ended up with a box store "blue light special" that leaked like a sieve and was the source of many headaches!:tsk:
I'll say one thing though, once you learn to use one of those things you can cook on ANYTHING!!! Going from a COS to a quality custom built pit is like going from a Ford Pinto to a Cadillac! LOL!!!:razz:

I agree and I have owned both a COS and a nice offset. I have also owned a Pinto and a Cadillac. Nice comparison.:biggrin1:

I'd go WSM and learn the minion method. I've cooked tons of good Q on mine even doing overnighters without a temp controller. Sometimes the maverick will wake me up once and if I tweak it just right before bed it'll go all night without waking me.

That said...i'm itching for a stick burner.

No problem. Although I don't currently have one, I ran a 22.5" WSM for years. It is a great cooker and extremely easy to manage. Probably the biggest difference between it and an electric in terms of ease of use is that there is still a real fire inside of it (in other words you can't completely ignore it). I think a temp control device is a bit of overkill with a WSM. Once you get used to it, you can dial it in pretty damn good. Throw a Maverick remote probe on the grate to watch for spikes and you are golden.

Looks interesting. How easy is the temp regulation? Is a 30 gallon drum a good size?

They're pretty much set-and-forget, Mine runs steady around 250-260 in moderate weather. I hang everything except spatchcocked chicken, which I use the grate. Packer briskets should be on the smaller side, you can do 2 at a time. 10 racks of baby backs, chicken, turkey, butts, all no problem.

You can be up and running in no time after you unpack it. It's almost too easy.

As far as the WSM, I guess it could be an option. I was really trying to be pretty much set and forget, hence the ease of electric.

Had to look the PartyQ up. Guess I could get the raspberrypi to handle it. I think I saw where you have to add some pipe and ball valves to the bottom to use the PQ?

You don't need another controller, the PartyQ *is* the controller. It has a temp sensor that goes in the pit, and you set the temp you want to hold on the screen.

It's set-and-forget for about 10-12 hours with a good charcoal that doesn't ash over (lump, KC, Stubbs, etc.). A pellet cooker is even more set and forget--those work like ovens. Just don't let the hopper get empty and you're golden. You just end up spending a little more.

I'm probably going to upgrade from a pair of 22" WSMs to a Yoder YS1500 for more cooking space, flexibility to grill or smoke, and real set-and-forget ease of use.

You don't need another controller, the PartyQ *is* the controller. It has a temp sensor that goes in the pit, and you set the temp you want to hold on the screen.

It's set-and-forget for about 10-12 hours with a good charcoal that doesn't ash over (lump, KC, Stubbs, etc.). A pellet cooker is even more set and forget--those work like ovens. Just don't let the hopper get empty and you're golden. You just end up spending a little more.

I'm probably going to upgrade from a pair of 22" WSMs to a Yoder YS1500 for more cooking space, flexibility to grill or smoke, and real set-and-forget ease of use.

Let me know when you want to get rid of one of those R2 units :biggrin1:

I think that's a good choice for you as well! Going from electric to a WSM is one step closer to a stick burner.:thumb:
It's kinda like getting hooked on drugs,.. you start with a couple of wine coolers or beers, which leads to weed and then the next thing you know you're sticking white powder up your nose, wondering what happened! LOL!!!
The dark side is calling you and we'll get you eventually! Wa-ha,ha!:razz::-D

The wsm is fantastic, but if you're not sure whether or not you're gonna be into this AND you want set and forget ease I strongly suggest a pellet grill like the rec tec or yoder 640.

They are dead simple to use, give you a nice mild clean smoke and are more versatile in that they can be used as grills and will see use whether or not you decide you wanna do bbq anymore. To me this makes up the difference in price.

Let me know when you want to get rid of one of those R2 units :biggrin1:

One I've already sold to a friend, the other I think I'm going to keep in case I need the overflow. Although it's temping to make a road trip to Memphis for some more tasty Q. You guys have nailed the art of dry ribs.

I used to get all hung up on electronics for all my cookers. As I started to figure out how each one worked, I no longer use them for every cook. You have a ton of options as far as your alotted price range, so you won't be sorry for any of the brethren's suggestions. If you don't need one right away, I would consider buying used from craigslist. When I started smoking meats, I used a weber 22.5 and got pretty good with it. The cook controls the cooker, so learn your equipment. Good luck with your choice.

I think that's a good choice for you as well! Going from electric to a WSM is one step closer to a stick burner.:thumb:
It's kinda like getting hooked on drugs,.. you start with a couple of wine coolers or beers, which leads to weed and then the next thing you know you're sticking white powder up your nose, wondering what happened! LOL!!!
The dark side is calling you and we'll get you eventually! Wa-ha,ha!:razz::-D

HahahaYes!!! I started with open pit to ceramic then got a weber and after that got a PBC. I absolutely love the taste of food from a steel drum. It tastes by far the best for me. So much so that I have a stick burner on order. Food from a stick burner is second to none IMHO.

PBC is the easiest to control beacuse you dont need to. 1. Start fire 2. Hang food 3. Take it out when its done.

I say PBC or UDS

Understood. Statement was to build a cheaper alternative based on a Raspberrypi I already have.

But as others have stated, it may not be needed. I guess after I get a WSM and start using it I'll know.

Another vote for a WSM, they really are fantastic cookers!

Although, I do agree...stick burners and just so much fun.

Another recommendation for WSM.

Make sure you get the 22" model. You will appreciate the extra space for large cooks and large briskets...

I have been using a pellet pooper for last year, its pretty easy. They have a small one for less than $500 but I was not happy with the size, had to get a much larger one even though I only cook for a handfull of people. I use Traeger Lil Tex. I get a smoke ring on my meats and get smoke flavor, I would like to try something new in time.

I've got a Masterbuilt gasser and I don't have any complaints. I mean, I'm not going to be entering any competitions with it or anything, but for backyard bbq for friends and family, and especially for the cost, it's absolutely fantastic.

I have a wsm 18.5 it has enough cooking space to make plenty mouths happy, a maverick 732 added is way easy cooking.

I personally love my Egg I have heard nothing except good things about the UDS- get a drum and a kit from Big Poppa Smokers and also the WSM

Back