Stick Burner Owners - Overnight Brisket Advice Needed!

Jlems

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok guys and gals I need some advice! Fourth tomorrow and I’m planning to cook an 18 pounder. Probably 14 once I’m done trimming. Any advice on the cook time? I guess what I’m asking, since I’ve only done the overnight cook on a Kamado where I could sleep during the cook, is do you typically start this process at 2-3 am? And if so what the heck do you do for sleep?! Guests coming over around noon and we’ll eat around 5pm.

I get up at 4 am, and immediately fire up the Brazos.

I trim the brisket the night before and apply rub while Brazos is warming up.

I try to get the brisket started at 5 am. I like a cup of coffe, and watching the sun come up while I've got the Brazos goin.

N7hvpw3.jpg

Last edited:
I get up at 4 am, and immediately fire up the Brazos.

I trim the brisket the night before and apply rub while Brazos is warming up.

I try to get the brisket started at 5 am. I like a cup of coffe, and watching the sun come up while I've got the Brazos goin.

N7hvpw3.jpg

Love it.

So I’m thinking I’ll start a bit early. Even 4 sounds better than 2am. I’m willing to put the time in though. Just need to get everything tender. Last cook the flat was dry. Sunrise and coffee sounds good to me.

What temps are you going to run? If you’re gonna stay 275 and above, maybe 12 hours is enough. You’ll want to have time to rest the brisket. Anywhere near 225 and 18 hours would be more like it.
Be realistic about temp and give yourself a little room.

What temps are you going to run? If you’re gonna stay 275 and above, maybe 12 hours is enough. You’ll want to have time to rest the brisket. Anywhere near 225 and 18 hours would be more like it.
Be realistic about temp and give yourself a little room.

Yes probably 275-285. Just no time for 225.

Personally, even at 275 I'd have it on the smoker by 4am at the latest.
You can always let it rest. You can't make it finish faster.
At 14 pounds, and roughly a pound an hour, you're in it for 14 hours. Even if its 45 min a pound you're still in it for 10 and a half hours.
Give yourself room.

As someone else said... "better to have it resting in the cooler than waiting for it to be done."

Ohh... agree with what they all said. You may need to run hotter temps to aboid a late finish But if you do be careful not to goo too “hot and fast” without a wrap. I tried hot fast this past week with temps 300-350 and had some inedible bark on a good bit. Was still great but wasted some brisket...

Enjoy!

My last Choice one was about 11 lbs after trimming. It was done in like 7 hours starting at 260 and then up to 275 until wrap (5-ish hours; 170 IT I think? I wrap out of the stall, not before) and it only needed like 2 hours at 290 to finish up. I ended up having to hold it for 6 hours until dinner time.

Turned out just dandy. And I could take a nap since it finished up so early :) I started it at like 4:30 am so it was done just before noon.

My last one was done in 6.5 hours. It was about 14lbs trimmed ran it at 275 to 325 and wrapped at 4 hours. Rested one hour and sliced. It was tasty.

I never once did an overnight cook stick burnin’...I had some late nights or early mornings depending on what timeline I was trying to hit. 275-300 (or more).

14lb post trim? Light the cooker at 4, meat on by 5, 9 or 10 hour cook with a couple hour rest...voila.

Get up at 5:30 and start the fire. Get her up to 300-325. Wrap in a foil pan with beef stock when it hits 165. Should only take 8 or 10 hrs. Happy 4th!!! God bless the U.S.A.!

I knock out briskets in 6-6.5 hrs Usually on 14-16 lbrs, sometimes a cook will go 8 hrs....... running 300*

My last brisket was about 11 pounds or so. Took 7 hours and kept the pit around 300. 325 once wrapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My last brisket was what I called my D-Day Brisket, smoked it on June 6th.

It was an 11# er , took 9 hours at 250 to 275 .

My last brisket was last night.... On the pit at 5pm... smoke until 10-11pm... wrap and place in low oven (215*)... Get some sleep.

At 7am I check it.... not done.... bump up the oven to 240* and check at 9am - DONE

Rest as long as you need it. You could alter this and start a little later but still get a good night's rest. A long hold time works wonders for brisket. Just my 1/50th of a buck.

Back