MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #9331
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

Did 2 boston butts this past weekend. Smoked for about 10 hours then had to finish up in the oven as we had a neighborhood thing to attend to. But the smoke went perfect; easy to control the temps and I was around 225 to 245 all day w/o messing with it. The pork turned out pretty good; I can tell the flavor difference with the open pit taste and the smoke was perfect. I did foil wrap and place in the oven to finish it upto 200* I pulled the next morning and some of the pieces were dry but not that bad. Was wondering if any of you all experience dry food with the uds? I'm a non foiler for ribs and do foil my butts but only when I want to shut the smoker down for the night. My last smoker I had a sand bowl diffuser and never had dry pieces.My ribs last week were ok; some of the ends were dry though. I have a square charcoal box. Should I explore a diffuser?
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #9332
Nemo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
That is correct. My racks actually just have feet for the height. So I only have 1 set of bolts down low for my base rack (where I can put something to diffuse heat) and then essentially "rack tables" on top. Makes it very quick to take things out and replace and let's me be flexible for whatever size of things I might be smoking. Each set of "feet" is held with a butterfly nut on one side so I can adjust it too.

hey, sorry for another picture request but do you have one of the racks out of the drum showing how you set it up? One of the other pics shows a top down view which was great but I'm still a little unclear. Thanks btw, you've been a great help like everyone here.
Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #9333
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

My lid plugs and my side table I might have posted this awhile back but with the growth of this thread I'm not going to look and see

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #9334
Nemo
Knows what a fatty is.

So I made my fire basket. While making it I decided to leave it tall. It's about 17" high over all, 13" or so from the grate to the top. I figured I could cut it down later if I wanted but by doing this I thought it shouldn't affect heat too much. Also, maybe I can use the pizza pan top as a diffuser of sorts.

I know it's not quite straight, I need to fiddle with the legs a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fire basket side.jpg (66.7 KB, 1101 views)
File Type: jpg Fire basket side with lid.jpg (63.7 KB, 1105 views)
File Type: jpg Fire basket top.jpg (72.6 KB, 1104 views)

Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #9335
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
hey, sorry for another picture request but do you have one of the racks out of the drum showing how you set it up? One of the other pics shows a top down view which was great but I'm still a little unclear. Thanks btw, you've been a great help like everyone here.
Don't have pic of that handy. There are several on this site (somewhere). But very easy to explain.

You make legs for the grates. Each leg would require 2 "fender washers" (which are just large ones), a 8 or 6 inch long carriage bolt that is large enough to not fall through the grate below, but small enough so the bolt part fits through the grate it's going to be attached to. 2 nuts (one of which could be butterfly). If you don't use carriage bolt, you can use some regular bolt and create "feet" for it on the bottom using 2 more fender washers and 2 more nuts. This would be to prevent the leg from falling through the grate it's standing on.

So you just put 1 nut on the bolt and thread it maybe 1 inch, then a fender washer and then poke it through the grate you're attaching, and then the other fender washer and the other nut. Tighten them just a bit for now. Do the same for the other legs.. 3 legs or 4 legs for more sturdiness. Then make sure it sits on something flat and is somewhat "level" so it doesn't wobble. tighten all the nuts just a bit. Too much and the fender washers or the grate wires will start to bend.

And there you go. Make another one for another level to put on top.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #9336
Nemo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
Don't have pic of that handy. There are several on this site (somewhere). But very easy to explain.

You make legs for the grates. Each leg would require 2 "fender washers" (which are just large ones), a 8 or 6 inch long carriage bolt that is large enough to not fall through the grate below, but small enough so the bolt part fits through the grate it's going to be attached to. 2 nuts (one of which could be butterfly). If you don't use carriage bolt, you can use some regular bolt and create "feet" for it on the bottom using 2 more fender washers and 2 more nuts. This would be to prevent the leg from falling through the grate it's standing on.

So you just put 1 nut on the bolt and thread it maybe 1 inch, then a fender washer and then poke it through the grate you're attaching, and then the other fender washer and the other nut. Tighten them just a bit for now. Do the same for the other legs.. 3 legs or 4 legs for more sturdiness. Then make sure it sits on something flat and is somewhat "level" so it doesn't wobble. tighten all the nuts just a bit. Too much and the fender washers or the grate wires will start to bend.

And there you go. Make another one for another level to put on top.
Thanks, I can see why that would be a great design.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #9337
Nemo
Knows what a fatty is.

Started on the intake holes with a titanium bit then the hole punch. Fortunately I started with a 3/4" punch but found out afterwards that it doesn't make a 3/4" hole. It's a bit oversized, almost 7/8". This greenline punch is made for electricians I believe (holes in panels, etc) and I suspect the 3/4" is made to fit the connectors that fit on the end of 3/4" conduit, hence why they are a little oversized.

So ordered a step bit to drill out to 1". Hopefully someone will avoid the mistake I almost made with this bit of info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Punch .75 inch.jpg (48.9 KB, 1053 views)

Old 03-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #9338
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
My lid plugs and my side table I might have posted this awhile back but with the growth of this thread I'm not going to look and see
I have noticed that more and more people are using this for their exhaust. I know cowgirl has this and I have seen an increase. Is the advantage to this just more control of air flow and temperature? I feel like all those exhaust nipples just makes for more work than simply sliding a vent. It does seem pretty easy to instal if you need an exhaust for a flat lid, however, because all you need is to drill some holes. also did you weld the nipples in place or use jb weld or something of the sort or just screw them in?

Old 03-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #9339
Youngsmoke88
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default My First UDS build and smoke

So I Started to build my first UDS before discovering this awesome forum. Turns out I should have done a bit more research before I started to acquire my parts. I ended up buying 4 food grade drums from a guy on CL. OPPSSSS ya come to find out you guys talk about this "Dreaded Red Liner" and all 4 of my barrels have it. After a couple attempts at removing it with various methods the best i came up with was an angle grinder with a 36 grit flap disk. I went to town on it for about an hour and it was clean as new. I on the other hand was covered debris. That was basically the hardest part of the build. I burned the outside with a weed burner and a few pallets inside just to be safe. Drilled a few holes for my hardware, welded on some clamps for my lid and ball valve support, painted her with hi temp black. I must say it came together very easy after that liner was out. I couldn't wait too long to test it out so I smoked some bacon wrapped jalapenos and some links. They came out Amazing! So then next day I picked up a 8lb Boston Butt. I kept it pretty simple about 230-240 grill temp for about 81/2 hours. I didn't get the internal temp quite as high as I would have like due to hungry guests. I ended up pulling it of the grill at about 190 let it rest and pulled it by hand. Everyone said it was great but the bone needed a little persuasion to come out so i know it could have used more time. More practice for me. Here are some pics of the goods!

After defeating the red liner

Any reason just to use this

Youngsmoke88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #9340
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks good from here. I love the magnets for the air intake. Cheap, simple, and easy.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #9341
Youngsmoke88
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks! Helps that I work at a magnet shop. I also used a ceramic magnet for my exhaust damper.

Youngsmoke88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #9342
FORY
Got Wood.

This is the cover for my UDS:

Is for this:

Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #9343
Mettle Man
Found some matches.

hi ya'll.... been having a lot of luck with sam's club "best of the west" mesquite lump charcoal. it keeps a long, slow heat (235) for hours in my udr. anyone tried it? comes from mexico...

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...oductId=181568

Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #9344
Nemo
Knows what a fatty is.

So my first UDS is almost done, and a big big thanks to all the advice from folks on here.

All that's left is some kind of side handles. Since its stainless I thought these might be cool http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/2430-s-style-stud-cleat but seem pretty steep.

I'll tally up what it cost once totally done but ball park is $150 including $15 step bit which is toast for 1" now but that's ok, it was a trouper. Since it was a free stainless drum I went all stainless parts, bolts, etc (except fire-basket) so it could have been a bit less. My hope is if I got it close to right I might use it forever.

Again, thanks and thanks and thanks to everyone, lately coewar in particular.

Doing some wings on it now, couldn't wait for finding the handles. Been fiddling with vents too keep within 200-250. I wouldn't say it's "cruising" yet but I'm learning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side view complete.jpg (19.3 KB, 902 views)
File Type: jpg Rack view.jpg (62.4 KB, 899 views)

Last edited by Nemo; 03-30-2012 at 09:35 PM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #9345
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice! Very shinney! Mine is less than a year old and the inside has this thick, black tar build up everywhere. It even drips outside around the lid. Stuff doesn't wipe off at all. Enjoy it being clean as long as you can.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker