Southern Collard Greens --- recipe

TysDad

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
During the SoCal BBQ Crawl, a few had never tried collard greens before. I mentioned that I had a recipe that I really like....so here it is. You could also use it for turnip, beet and mustard greens, but it will taste very different. It is adapted from Alton Brown's. The size you chop the pieces effects the final texture so to each his/her own. I like large chopped pieces of collards with no stems and the pork, onion and pepper chopped small. I have also found that there can be too much onion and too much pork, but have yet to make it too hot. Undercooked is coarse and a bit chewy and overcooked is mushy. There is a lot of leeway, though.

Southern Collard Greens

6 servings (?) 2¼ hours 10 min prep

Ingredients:
1 bunch collard greens, washed well, discard the stems and cut into pieces
1 medium to large yellow onion, chopped
3 hot peppers, chopped (I use jalapenos)
7 slices of smoked bacon, choppped fine. (also you could use a ham bone, ham hocks or another smoked pork product. I tried pork sausage and that wasn't good, though.)
1/4 cup white vinegar (maybe two tablespoons less)
1/4 cup water (maybe two tablespoons more)
1 tsp oil
salt and pepper

Saute your onion in a large pot with just a touch of oil (1 tsp) until translucent.
Add your smoked pork product and let some of the juices start to flow from it (about 5 minutes worth of cooking).
Meanwhile mix water, vinegar, 1 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper and the chopped hot pepper together. Pour into pot and stir.
Add the greens. Mix up after each handful to coat them with the liquid. They will reduce as the cooking wilts them.
Continue to stir until wilted; then turn to low, cover and let cook for about 2 hours stirring once in a while. If you think it needs more liquid, add a small amount of 1:1 water and vinegar. Taste to see if you need more salt, pepper, some red pepper flake...etc.

My wife likes this with Bacon Salt sprinkled on top.

All the best,

Sounds great, might try it this weekend. Thanks. Nice to meet you last weekend!

Thanks Paul! Glad you made it out. It was good to see you again!!

Like I told you Saturday.....Best Briskit I've ever had Neil. Glad we came by.

Very similar to my recipe. The only difference is that I don't use onions and I put in a cup of sugar. Love them collards.

Back