MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:26 PM   #76
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

very cool DMosher! looking forward to you thoughts and of course PRON!!

Old 04-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #77
DMosher
Knows what a fatty is.

Sorry no pics was a crazy day. The freezer in the garage died on me. I found out last night, when I took some salmon out to cook for dinner. Lost most everything. But saved the snake river farms Beef tenderloin, and flat iron stakes. They were on the bottom of the freezer so still not fully thawed. So threw the tenderloin on the new to me Mak 2 star. Cooked it different then normal at 300 degrees. Was following a Steven Raichlen recipe. Used the Hickory pellets that came with the smoker and rubbed the tenderloin with BPS Double secret steak rub. Came out very good. Also nice to have the warming box on the Mak to rest the meat for 20 minutes. Very impressed with the first cook on it.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #78
AutoPaint
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMosher View Post
Well got the Mak 2 star delivered today. I spent around 3 1/2 hours putting it together. Did 99 percent of it myself except for help lifting the smoker onto the base. Over all impression-
Packing for shipping was very well done. No issues what so every with the shipper or the packing of the grill parts. Going to take me about 3 weeks to cut up all the cardboard and recycle it in my trash can. The build directions are straight forward and easy to understand. Very impressed with the build quality. Only tools needed are allen wrench (they Supplied) 1/4 inch socket and a phelps screw driver for the optional front door. Plan to do the burn in tomorrow, so will let you know how that goes. Plan to cook on it as soon as possible.
I look forward to your review. I'm thinking a Mak 2 Star will be next to replace my Timberline 850.
AutoPaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #79
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
Are you guys removing your pellets after you cook? I am just east of Raleigh NC and was wondering if I should worry about the humidity swelling up pellets. As of now I have the PG in the garage but wanted to move her to the back with the rest of the fleet
It will be covered when not in use.
I wondered the same thing, but I must confess I've had pellets sitting in my Mak 1-star since I bought it at Thanksgiving, and when I fired it up last week to smoke some ribs I had no issue. Mine not only has sat outside during that period, but my Mak was uncovered because they were out of covers until a couple weeks ago. And it's been a rather wet winter here by SoCal standards.

I was really unhappy having to let an electronic smoker, with a digital contoller, sit uncovered outside 4-5 months because Mak couldn't get itself organized enough to have more grill covers made. But when I finally ordered and received it, I now am even more dissatisfied. It looks like in an effort to have a one-size-fits-all cover (whether you install a front shelf, or side shelf, or both or neither), they've made such a generic cover that it doesn't fit well. I found mine had blown off last week, and I had it cinched down tight with the straps. Must have gotten a bit of wind under it. I've had many, many grills and smokers over the past 25 yrs and never had a cover blow off.

In any event, fortunately the whole cover situation does not at all match my experience with the 1-star itself, which has been fantastic. Too bad, because I'm sure the company would rather deliver a consistently excellent experience.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #80
Smokey Lonesome
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Any love out there for the Blazin Grill lineup? Seem to have several nice features like pellet dump, stainless racks and drip tray, and double-wall construction.

The secret of success is to do the common things uncommonly well. - John D. Rockefeller
Smokey Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #81
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

So whatcha you guys have planned up this weekend on the pellets??? Any good cooks going on? I just went to the butcher and bought me an 8lb Boston Butt. Not sure if I am going to do it on the pellet or the PBC???

Old 04-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #82
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
So whatcha you guys have planned up this weekend on the pellets??? Any good cooks going on? I just went to the butcher and bought me an 8lb Boston Butt. Not sure if I am going to do it on the pellet or the PBC???
Both are easy to set up and set and forget it! I vote pellet mainly because I only like a drum flavor on chicken but that’s just me.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #83
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Did these today

8lbs venison jerky

Carne asada

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #84
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Man that’s a versatile cooker! How was the flavor from the pellets?

Old 04-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #85
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

^nice sear job on that steak!

Old 04-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #86
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
Man that’s a versatile cooker! How was the flavor from the pellets?

50/50 mix lumberjack 100% hickory and 100% cherry. Didn’t use a tube and the smoke was actually a bit much on the jerky. I normally use my Excalibur dehydrator for deer jerky...this was first time on the Memphis.

Memphis Elite

Old 04-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #87
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
^nice sear job on that steak!

Thanks. That was only at 450 for about 2 minutes each side...the elite can hit over 900 easily...I normally sear my ribeyes and such for 45 seconds per side or so around 650-700. The Elite is a flame thrower!

Memphis Elite

Old 04-20-2018, 07:30 PM   #88
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Venison burgers and brats yesterday

Memphis Elite

Old 04-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #89
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Did these today

8lbs venison jerky

Memphis Elite
Those Taco’s look great! My wife would love them! What kind of cheese is that? Feta?

Old 04-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #90
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
Those Taco’s look great! My wife would love them! What kind of cheese is that? Feta?

Thanks! Believe it was Cueso blanco Mexican crumbling cheese.

Memphis Elite