MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:10 AM   #841
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
anybody ever try either of these? not sure why I bought them but I'm thinking about the herb blend for our turkey next week

Here's the skinny on the char hickory. First, forget the word hickory exists. This smells and flavors like a very very slightly dirty burning kingsford blue bag fire. A smell we all grew up with and know. It DEFINITELY burns hot and is pretty dang good for grilling. I'm NOT a fan of medium to long cooks with this pellet. I just don't like the flavor it lays down after an hour or more during lower temperature cooks.

The flavor laid down by 100% oak is better IMO for anything past a 20 minute cook. But, the char hickory does serve it's purpose. I just wish I didn't buy 3 bags due to a closeout sale. LOL!!

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #842
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaDustDevil View Post
I bought my Mak as a smoker, so I never grill on it and use my Weber instead. The 1-Star doesn’t come with the flame zone, but it’s an option. One I would never use. When I’m grillin, I want to cook some food, flip some burgers, rotate some dogs round the fire, and smell the smoke. It’s a more tactile and sensory experience.

That said, folks who have a flamezone unanimously extoll it’s virtues and effectiveness!

I get it! There is something very therapeutic and relaxing about building a lump charcoal fire in the kettle and cooking over it. Deep down, I have been a charcoal junky for many years...lol.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #843
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Curious, how much work (interior and exterior) is the PG1000 to clean up after a messy grilling session? Besides the smoke stack, does smoke/grease leak out from anywhere? Has the stainless been a pain to keep up?
What is this "clean up" you speak of?

My inside cleaning consists of a wire brush on the grates. Outside consists of a grill cover. If it needs to be showroom new, I have some stainless steel wipes that work well. Sure, smoke comes out of other places, just like any other smoker. Grease comes out of the grease drain.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #844
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
What is this "clean up" you speak of?

My inside cleaning consists of a wire brush on the grates. Outside consists of a grill cover. If it needs to be showroom new, I have some stainless steel wipes that work well. Sure, smoke comes out of other places, just like any other smoker. Grease comes out of the grease drain.

I am pretty relaxed about the inside of grills (I keep it tidy, but not pristine by any means), but a nice 304ss grill, IMO, deserves to have a nice and shiny exterior!! It’s a shame to see nasty stainless...lol. The MAK isn’t bad at all once you get a routine down with the right cleaners (I spend maybe 4-5 mins after each cook)... was just curious about the Cookshack :)

Old 11-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #845
darita
is One Chatty Farker

I've never grilled on my MAK. When I want a good grilled meal, I use my kettle, with lump and chunks. I go indirect for smoke, then a good sear when the meat is close to temp. For me, anything else is gets second place of taste. That said, maybe I'll be proven wrong someday. Either way, I can't lose.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #846
rwalters

Default The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
I've never grilled on my MAK. When I want a good grilled meal, I use my kettle, with lump and chunks. I go indirect for smoke, then a good sear when the meat is close to temp. For me, anything else is gets second place of taste. That said, maybe I'll be proven wrong someday. Either way, I can't lose.

You definitely won’t get the charcoal taste that many love about the kettle (including me), but you will get super moist/flavorful grilled meat. I 50/50 between my MAK and kettle when it comes to grilling. Like you said, either way we can’t lose [emoji4]

By the way.. not sure if I knew this at one point or not... but I just noticed that you are in Roseville. I am in Lincoln. Small world! I see your list of cookers includes a Primo XL but no kettle? Outdated list? Do you still have the Primo?

Old 11-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #847
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
You definitely won’t get the charcoal taste that many love about the kettle (including me), but you will get super moist/flavorful grilled meat. I 50/50 between my MAK and kettle when it comes to grilling. Like you said, either way we can’t lose [emoji4]

By the way.. not sure if I knew this at one point or not... but I just noticed that you are in Roseville. I am in Lincoln. Small world! I see your list of cookers includes a Primo XL but no kettle? Outdated list? Do you still have the Primo?
Ya! Think I smell your smoke sometimes.. I have to update that list. I sold the GMG and have the Primo, the MAK and actually, a Stok kettle. I was set to get a Weber, but the Stok went on clearance at Target for $36, so I had to get it. Having had a WSM, it works very close to the Weber. I never just straight grill on the Stok. I always go indirect with chunks, then finish direct.
I just love salmon that way. Nice and smokey, bot not overpowering and nicely crisp skin. With salmon, I don't even have to go direct. It gets all the char I need indirect.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #848
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
Ya! Think I smell your smoke sometimes.. I have to update that list. I sold the GMG and have the Primo, the MAK and actually, a Stok kettle. I was set to get a Weber, but the Stok went on clearance at Target for $36, so I had to get it. Having had a WSM, it works very close to the Weber. I never just straight grill on the Stok. I always go indirect with chunks, then finish direct.

I just love salmon that way. Nice and smokey, bot not overpowering and nicely crisp skin. With salmon, I don't even have to go direct. It gets all the char I need indirect.

Does your Primo see much use? Kind of funny, you always cook indirect on your kettle, and I almost always cook direct. I have a full set of GrillGrates on my kettle which makes “semi-direct” cooking across the entire surface super easy. To me, the added flavor of having the drippings hit the fire is where the flavors at...at least to mine and my families taste buds. One thing to love about the kettle I guess...it’s versatility and end results are hard to beat no matter what style you choose to cook :)

Old 11-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #849
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
I am pretty relaxed about the inside of grills (I keep it tidy, but not pristine by any means), but a nice 304ss grill, IMO, deserves to have a nice and shiny exterior!!
Yup, I hear you, and I agree, it does look nice when it's all shined up. Mine could use a bit of a clean as it is now, but I'm a bit lazy about that unfortunately! Porterhouses will be going on tonight and the temps are going to hit the 70's, so I may give 'er a shine today before it gets fired up.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #850
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
Yup, I hear you, and I agree, it does look nice when it's all shined up. Mine could use a bit of a clean as it is now, but I'm a bit lazy about that unfortunately! Porterhouses will be going on tonight and the temps are going to hit the 70's, so I may give 'er a shine today before it gets fired up.

Let’s see some before/after pics [emoji41]

Old 11-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #851
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Does your Primo see much use? Kind of funny, you always cook indirect on your kettle, and I almost always cook direct. I have a full set of GrillGrates on my kettle which makes “semi-direct” cooking across the entire surface super easy. To me, the added flavor of having the drippings hit the fire is where the flavors at...at least to mine and my families taste buds. One thing to love about the kettle I guess...it’s versatility and end results are hard to beat no matter what style you choose to cook :)
I think I use the MAK and the Primo about even. I used to smoke all poultry on the Primo, just to get that good skin that I love. Now that I've discovered the boiling water trick, I can use the MAK as well, for poultry. That said, if I'm doing wings or teriyaki thighs, I go kettle for the smoke and the direct char. You just can't beat it.
Also, as good as the MAK is, on chicken, I can get more smoke flavor in the Primo than I can in the MAK, just cuz I go hi temp. I'm going to try to go on Smoke for an hour on my next MAK chicken, then go hi and see if that equals the Primo. Sometimes I want just a hint of smoke flavor and other times I want to really taste it. Nice that I have the option now.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #852
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Question or those who have a unit with flame/sear zone. As I see most have some sort of charcoal grill also. What are you more likely to fire up for burgers or a steak pellet or charcoal?

I'm starting to think I want something the excels at grilling also.
I prefer to reverse sear on the MAK so Steaks, Tri Tip, thick cut Chops and things like that go on the MAK, Burgers I usually do on the Weber because they're pretty messy with all the grease, unless seasoning them with Carne Crosta, feel the flavor profile of the rub is better on the PG. Chicken parts get done on the Weber with the Vortex.

Most of the time I'm only cooking for 2 to 4 people so I only pull the front cover to the flame zone and leave the rear plate on cooking indirect on the top shelf over it for reverse sears. Foiling the FZ also helps with cleanup, I just use a pencil to poke holes where needed on the FZ.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #853
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I prefer to reverse sear on the MAK so Steaks, Tri Tip, thick cut Chops and things like that go on the MAK...

Funny you mention the reverse sear. I did a reverse seared tri tip on the MAK last weekend. Phenomenal!

Old 11-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #854
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Got a couple chucks on. Smoking at 225 deg straight through no wrap. I’ll be using a store bought seasoning. I have been making my own to save money but I came to the realization I’m probably not. There are a ton of bulk size spices I’ll probably never use so I am rethinking my position on it.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #855
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

For people who like a heavy duty pellet smoker.
https://pittsandspitts.com/pellet-grills/

7 and 10 gauge 304 gauge stainless steel maverick 1250. That had to be expensive to build. It’s toward the bottom.