MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #16
Slow-Cal-BBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Stephen

I personally like naked ribs. If you wrap them, make sure they are separated, otherwise hot air will not be able to get between the racks and it will cook as if its is one giant piece of meat, subsequently, you have to cook longer. When its time to wrap, the oven is a great idea.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #17
357.luis
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Luis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-Cal-BBQ View Post
I personally like naked ribs. If you wrap them, make sure they are separated, otherwise hot air will not be able to get between the racks and it will cook as if its is one giant piece of meat, subsequently, you have to cook longer. When its time to wrap, the oven is a great idea.
Thanks for the input. That isn’t something I thought about. I figured it wouldn’t matter, so one shelf would be three down and one on top and the other the same with two on top.
357.luis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #18
cosmicslop54
Knows what a fatty is.

You should definitely rotate the ribs. I've checked the temp on the second rack in a WSM and it is significantly colder than the top. 25-50 degrees cooler in my experience.
cosmicslop54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #19
357.luis
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Luis
Default Final Update:

Final Update: So the cook went good...but.

I started at 3:45 am. I was done seasoning the ribs at 4:11 and allowed the ribs to sweat in the fridge until 4:15 am. I had the ribs on the grill at 5:30 using standard Weber rib racks. 5 on top and four on the bottom. I had to skewer the rib ends to keep them straight and to keep them from touching. I foiled the water pan and ran it empty with Jealous Devil lump. I maintained a temp of 260 probing through the rubber grommet on the side of the WSM. I spritzed the ribs every 45 minutes and rotated from top to bottom after two hours. The bark was set 3 1/2 hours into the cook. I wrapped the ribs at that time and continued cooking for an additional hour. Some ribs were done and I began checking and pulling the racks as they were finished every 30 min. I placed the ribs back on with sauce on 15 minutes prior to serving.

***Some racks ended up overdone because when I pulled them I immediately placed them in a dry cooler to hold. I believed they continued to cook when doing this. Note to self.... next time burb the ribs for 10-15 minutes before placing them in the dry cooler to hold.

In the end, everyone loved the ribs including the ones that were falling off the bone. I learned a lot and my buddy was extremely grateful. Thank you, everyone, for your help and advice with this cook. I really appreciate all that took the time to respond. God Bless.
357.luis is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-29-2019, 06:39 PM   #20
PnkPanther
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357.luis View Post
Final Update: So the cook went good...but.

I started at 3:45 am. I was done seasoning the ribs at 4:11 and allowed the ribs to sweat in the fridge until 4:15 am. I had the ribs on the grill at 5:30 using standard Weber rib racks. 5 on top and four on the bottom. I had to skewer the rib ends to keep them straight and to keep them from touching. I foiled the water pan and ran it empty with Jealous Devil lump. I maintained a temp of 260 probing through the rubber grommet on the side of the WSM. I spritzed the ribs every 45 minutes and rotated from top to bottom after two hours. The bark was set 3 1/2 hours into the cook. I wrapped the ribs at that time and continued cooking for an additional hour. Some ribs were done and I began checking and pulling the racks as they were finished every 30 min. I placed the ribs back on with sauce on 15 minutes prior to serving.

***Some racks ended up overdone because when I pulled them I immediately placed them in a dry cooler to hold. I believed they continued to cook when doing this. Note to self.... next time burb the ribs for 10-15 minutes before placing them in the dry cooler to hold.

In the end, everyone loved the ribs including the ones that were falling off the bone. I learned a lot and my buddy was extremely grateful. Thank you, everyone, for your help and advice with this cook. I really appreciate all that took the time to respond. God Bless.

No photos? Sounds like went well. Timing lot of meat can be changing.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #21
Demosthenes9
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats on the cook. I'm late to the party, but if you have to do this again, I'd forgo the wrapping all together. Run at your 265 or up to 300ish. Keep an eye out and rotate as needed. I test by grabbing a rack in the middle and try to tear in half. Don't tear it of course, but when you could tear it, they are done. Pull from the WSM, let the rack sit out for a few mins then if you need to hold, wrap in foil (or in a full size aluminum pan) and into a cooler to keep warm.
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2019, 04:05 PM   #22
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

I refuse to serve ribs at 9:00am. Therefore I’m not into prepping ribs at 3:45. I hope you had these sold at a good price.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #23
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I did 16 racks at work at the last job -in 2 Masterbuilt electrics a few times.........

Tags
9 full racks, WSM