WSM Southco Latch Question

mrjoe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Have a WSM 22.5". Bought Southco latch about a year ago and reinstalled with stock door. About a month ago, was tightening up the nut that secures the handle to the door and it stripped out. Decided to get myself a new southco handle and a CB door. Just trying to tighten it the door, the bolt stripped out, has anyone else had a similar experience with the southco latch stripping. Obviously its a much better latch than the stock wsm, perhaps its my cement hands... :biggrin1:

P.S. Can I get a tool to re-thread the bolt...its like an abnormal industrial type threading... far as I know...

I have the CB door and latch, since I've installed the door I've never had a reason to remove it. I don't use water and always make sure I have enough fuel to get through a cook. The door is a quality piece and have no regrets about the purchase.

Wow. I too replaced my door and latch. I have had no issues with stripping the threads. Actually, mine is a little loose now, but I haven't made the effort to go grab a wrench to re-tighten it. Not loose enough to worry about yet. Soon.

Sorry to hear that.

I have the CB door and latch, since I've installed the door I've never had a reason to remove it. I don't use water and always make sure I have enough fuel to get through a cook. The door is a quality piece and have no regrets about the purchase.

I only removed it periodically. I have obsessive tinkering disorder; probably tightened the nut 1 too many times.

Wow. I too replaced my door and latch. I have had no issues with stripping the threads. Actually, mine is a little loose now, but I haven't made the effort to go grab a wrench to re-tighten it. Not loose enough to worry about yet. Soon.

Sorry to hear that.

I should have just let it be...

Quit tinkering Joe. :mrgreen:

tinkering is my blood... :biggrin1: ..weber support is sending me a new door; previously popped the stock handle from normal wear and tear...ordered a mcmaster carr compression latch for $10...hedging my bets if I manager to strip my new compression latch..will just use the stock door as it was intended...no more tinkering..

Back