MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
mrjoe
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 10-05-14
Location: Middle Village, Queens
Default UDS Science

I have never ate food from a UDS. I hear it taste better because the grease touches the charcoal and vaporizes back into the meat for more flavor. Is this true, if so what percent better does this taste. Can this be replicated by putting char diamonds in the water pan. Any proposed methods of replicating that UDS flavor without exploding my smoker..flavor bars, ect. Would be trying on a 22.5 WSM or brinkmann gourmet
mrjoe is offline   Reply With Quote




Old 12-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
SmittyJonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-13
Location: Burleson Tx
Default

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=201765
__________________
NO Such Thing as Over Smoked - just Over Dirty Smoked.............
SmittyJonz is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 12-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
PWHathaway
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 06-08-14
Location: Fort Dodge, IA
Default

I actually use a drip/water pan in my uds. Keeps moisture and catches the drippings. The few times I didn't use one, I didn't notice much a difference. Maybe a little less moisture.
PWHathaway is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Bludawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-09
Location: Jonesboro,Tx
Default

Remove the HEAT SINK pan from the WSM & use it for target practice. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but adding Stuff to the HEAT SINK PAN don't impact the flavor of the "Q" 1 iota.
__________________
I'm a Proxy Vegetarian> Cows eat grass & I eat cows.
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 12-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
SmokinFatties
Full Fledged Farker
 
SmokinFatties's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-13
Location: Ironton Oh
Default

I've used the uds with and without something to catch the drippings before it hits the coals. When I have not used something to catch the drippings the Q has tasted in my opinion awful. I got complements to the contrary on the same meat so to each their own.
__________________
Smoker Joe, UDS, Weber Silver 22.5 kettle, MB Gas Smoker, CG Smokin Pro w/sfb, pitmaster IQ110
SmokinFatties is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 12-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

 
Join Date: 09-17-12
Location: Oswego, IL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Remove the HEAT SINK pan from the WSM & use it for target practice. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but adding Stuff to the HEAT SINK PAN don't impact the flavor of the "Q" 1 iota.
If you want the grease to "touch the coals," then do exactly what The Dawg said. Personally, I use a homemade diffuser in my UDS. I didn't like the flavor of the ribs I had when I cooked on it without. But, that is just my two cents.
__________________
- Matt

Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; UDS; Thermapen Mk4; DigiQ DX2; IQ120; CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years); Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

We're (kinda) famous!
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
NotSoBigDan
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 07-04-14
Location: Twin Lakes
Default

I use a perforated pizza pan for a diffuser in my UDS when smoking beef. This way some of the grease makes it through to the coals, but not nearly all of it. I think it adds a nice bit of flavor without overpowering the meat.

I only do it for beef, though. For pork, it's the water pan full of apple juice.
NotSoBigDan is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 12-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
TXLX
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 08-12-14
Location: Texas
Default

Not a fan of the burnt grease. Try it out though and see if you like it.
TXLX is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-13-2014, 05:39 AM   #9
ebijack
Babbling Farker

 
ebijack's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-13
Location: Detroit Mi
Name/Nickname : tom
Default

I do both depending, drip pan/no drip pan. There can be a difference in flavors. PBC are a favorite with quite a few Brethren who state it is the best tasting and easy to cook on. Everything cooked on a PBC is direct dripping onto the coals as the meat hangs over the coals. And hang a lot closer to the coals than a UDS.
Like mentioned, you would have to try it for yourself to see if you like the difference. I prefer the flavor of my UDS's to my other smokers, but that is me.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
Jadog
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 10-13-13
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Default

There is a lot of personal flavor opinions here and personal experience s here including mine. But your own experience will help refine this type of information to your liking. I like many don't like the drippings on the coals. The first couple of cooks worked for me and it helps with getting a good seasoning on inside of drum. Now I just catch the dripping in a 16 inch pizza pan wrapped in foil. Smithy is right about the steam process but you don't always have to have a water pan. You can wrap your meat in foil when your meat gets the color and smoke you desire. You can also add water or or any other liquid to the foil to help with the steaming process. Again you have to practice to know when that needs to happen cuz personal taste will predict that . Sounds like you .end to build a UDS and start experimenting. There is a lot of info in the official UDS build thread. Have fun and thanks.
__________________
(2)UDS's, UDG, 89' Weber Kettle, OLD GASSER,

IMBAS certified MOINK Baller

Vegetarian: an old Indian term, meaning "bad hunter."
Jadog is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 12-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 07-23-13
Location: Manchester, UK
Default

The only time you want drippings hitting the coals is when cooking chicken, IMHO
__________________
Pro Q Excel 20 / UDS / Maverick ET-732 / Thermapen / Pro Q CSG
YetiDave is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
mrjoe
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 10-05-14
Location: Middle Village, Queens
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadog View Post
There is a lot of personal flavor opinions here and personal experience s here including mine. But your own experience will help refine this type of information to your liking. I like many don't like the drippings on the coals. The first couple of cooks worked for me and it helps with getting a good seasoning on inside of drum. Now I just catch the dripping in a 16 inch pizza pan wrapped in foil. Smithy is right about the steam process but you don't always have to have a water pan. You can wrap your meat in foil when your meat gets the color and smoke you desire. You can also add water or or any other liquid to the foil to help with the steaming process. Again you have to practice to know when that needs to happen cuz personal taste will predict that . Sounds like you .end to build a UDS and start experimenting. There is a lot of info in the official UDS build thread. Have fun and thanks.
Thanks for all the tips, I don't think I have the tools/ carpentry skill for the UDS. Probably defeats the purpose, but do you know of any companies that build a reliable pre-made UDS.
mrjoe is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
thirdeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-14-06
Location: At home on the range in Wyoming
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoe View Post
I have never ate food from a UDS. I hear it taste better because the grease touches the charcoal and vaporizes back into the meat for more flavor. Is this true, if so what percent better does this taste. Can this be replicated by putting char diamonds in the water pan. Any proposed methods of replicating that UDS flavor without exploding my smoker..flavor bars, ect. Would be trying on a 22.5 WSM or brinkmann gourmet

Sure you can replicate the flavor if you have a shovel. A drum smoker produces a flavor similar to open pit barbecue... you just don't have to dig a hole. i have two and love 'em.

__________________
~thirdeye~

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 12-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
TXLX
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 08-12-14
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoe View Post
Thanks for all the tips, I don't think I have the tools/ carpentry skill for the UDS. Probably defeats the purpose, but do you know of any companies that build a reliable pre-made UDS.
There's really not much skill involved, you could definitely handle it if you own a study drill. If you don't want to source everything and build a fire basket, Big Poppa's sells a drum smoker kit, all you need is the drum. https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/big-...rum-smoker-kit

If not, I see small companies selling pre-made ones on Craigslist, you could try there.
TXLX is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #15
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Bludawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-09
Location: Jonesboro,Tx
Default

???? How may of you use a Weber Gasser, Hmmm................ They have a lil somthin somethin called Falvorizor bars. Those bars preform the same function as cooking over the coals. The hot juices drip on to the bars where they burn and give off a smoky essence that rises and adds a smokey flavor. Sorta why burgers & steaks just taste betta off a Charcoal grillover the coals as to being cooked in a skillet. So don't be so fast to dis the process. Ever ate Hawg cooked over an open pit NC Style???? Same process as a UDS that is it's Sellin point! IDK I sorta like it myself but I'm a cranky old bastard and I drink my likker straight too.
__________________
I'm a Proxy Vegetarian> Cows eat grass & I eat cows.
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Reply

Tags
brinkmann, flavor, uds, WSM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts